"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
How about a few boxed mixes and premade foods that can be used as gifts?
There's always so many "last minute" shoppers.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Yep those are on the list as well

Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Looks like you have a ton of good ideas!

and desserts!! lol... everyone loves a brownie.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Looks like you've thought of everything. The best of luck!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #15
Master Chef

GB, I can't wait to hear what you and your brother come up with. I'd love to do something like that around here some day, too!

I'm not sure what I'm having tonight. It needs to be quick and easy, though--Sofie had her first shots today (I know it hurt me more than it hurt her!) and is pretty fussy and DH works late (good timing on his part) so I probably won't have time to cook. I'm thinking either a chef salad or eggs and toast with some fruit.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Looks like you have a ton of good ideas!

and desserts!! lol... everyone loves a brownie.
homemade pie would be good too. Not very many places sell pies made from scratch any more. Ever read the book "American Pie," by Pascale le Draoulec? The woman who wrote it drove across the country searching for great pies that were made frome scratch. It has recipes in it as well. Take a look here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...lance&n=283155

Good luck GB! Your brother is right about the location. And it sounds like you have a lot of really good ideas, and if not I'm sure everyone at dc will give you their say.

hmm dinner? Don't know. Something easy. I'm making tamales tomorrow and starting them tonight, I also have both the kids which makes it hard enough to get anything done, let alone dinner.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
I'm not sure what I'm having tonight. It needs to be quick and easy, though--Sofie had her first shots today (I know it hurt me more than it hurt her!) and is pretty fussy and DH works late (good timing on his part) so I probably won't have time to cook. I'm thinking either a chef salad or eggs and toast with some fruit.
Yuck! Shots! How many did she have to get? I take Callum in next month to get 4 shots. I remember going through that with Aidan, and I think I got all teary eyed. Poor guy, he let out that one big cry and then I just saw the color rise in his face. Sorry to hear about Sofie, did you give her some tylenol? Some doctors suggest it for the side effects the shots can give.

Sorry everybody! This thread about dinner is being clearly a hijacking thread today!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
Yuck! Shots! How many did she have to get? I take Callum in next month to get 4 shots. I remember going through that with Aidan, and I think I got all teary eyed. Poor guy, he let out that one big cry and then I just saw the color rise in his face. Sorry to hear about Sofie, did you give her some tylenol? Some doctors suggest it for the side effects the shots can give.

Sorry everybody! This thread about dinner is being clearly a hijacking thread today!
She got 3 shots for 6 different vaccinations. I felt so badly for the little peanut--we'd been waiting for the nurse to come in for so long that she'd just fallen asleep when they came in to stick her. She wailed long and hard while it went on but stopped as soon as they were finished. She's had one dose of tylenol so far and it's helped. She still has a low-grade fever and is fussy but at least she's not screaming!

Can you post your recipe for tamales? That's another meal to add to my list of "someday" recipes!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
She got 3 shots for 6 different vaccinations. I felt so badly for the little peanut--we'd been waiting for the nurse to come in for so long that she'd just fallen asleep when they came in to stick her. She wailed long and hard while it went on but stopped as soon as they were finished. She's had one dose of tylenol so far and it's helped. She still has a low-grade fever and is fussy but at least she's not screaming!

Can you post your recipe for tamales? That's another meal to add to my list of "someday" recipes!
Aidan is terrified of the nurse at the doctor's office now. He knows she's the one who gives the shots. He just starts crying as soon as he lays eyes on her, even the nurse gets a little teary eyed. When we took Callum in, Aidan almost got upset but he kept telling the nurse "It's Callum's turn. Callum's turn now." He held his brother's hand almost the whole appointment.

Tamales- I posted the recipe in the mexican food night thread. I haven't made them yet, so will do an update on them in the next few days.

As far as dinner goes, the neighbor just invited us over. She said something about marinating chicken in orange juice and rice. Sounds good.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
One of my thoughts was to have a soup/salad bar where you could serve yourself and pay by weight. I could also have specialty salads on the regular menu as well. I know my brother was interested in comfort food type things so grilled cheese with tomato soup would be a natural.
Customers enjoy that, at least I do anyways....I can get up close and see all the delicious things, decide for myself, and how much of each I want.

How bout a delivery boy for just the Prudential building?...once your hooked, your hooked....we had a burrito lady that used to come by the newspaper everyday....she couldn't get there fast enff some mornings, as we all were so hungry for our favorite burritos! Your menu sounds perfect for all those "lunch conference meetings".

Best of Luck to your and your brother. Sounds like a win/win.

#1 Rule for Dieting.....If it "Tastes Good"...Spit-it-OUT!!
TexasTamale is offline   Reply With Quote