"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pdswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 20,308
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
How about a few boxed mixes and premade foods that can be used as gifts?
There's always so many "last minute" shoppers.
__________________

__________________
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Yep those are on the list as well
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pdswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 20,308
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Looks like you have a ton of good ideas!

and desserts!! lol... everyone loves a brownie.
__________________
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 3,834
Looks like you've thought of everything. The best of luck!
__________________
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
PA Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,000
GB, I can't wait to hear what you and your brother come up with. I'd love to do something like that around here some day, too!

I'm not sure what I'm having tonight. It needs to be quick and easy, though--Sofie had her first shots today (I know it hurt me more than it hurt her!) and is pretty fussy and DH works late (good timing on his part) so I probably won't have time to cook. I'm thinking either a chef salad or eggs and toast with some fruit.
__________________
-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
corazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Looks like you have a ton of good ideas!

and desserts!! lol... everyone loves a brownie.
homemade pie would be good too. Not very many places sell pies made from scratch any more. Ever read the book "American Pie," by Pascale le Draoulec? The woman who wrote it drove across the country searching for great pies that were made frome scratch. It has recipes in it as well. Take a look here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...lance&n=283155

Good luck GB! Your brother is right about the location. And it sounds like you have a lot of really good ideas, and if not I'm sure everyone at dc will give you their say.

hmm dinner? Don't know. Something easy. I'm making tamales tomorrow and starting them tonight, I also have both the kids which makes it hard enough to get anything done, let alone dinner.
__________________
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
corazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
I'm not sure what I'm having tonight. It needs to be quick and easy, though--Sofie had her first shots today (I know it hurt me more than it hurt her!) and is pretty fussy and DH works late (good timing on his part) so I probably won't have time to cook. I'm thinking either a chef salad or eggs and toast with some fruit.
Yuck! Shots! How many did she have to get? I take Callum in next month to get 4 shots. I remember going through that with Aidan, and I think I got all teary eyed. Poor guy, he let out that one big cry and then I just saw the color rise in his face. Sorry to hear about Sofie, did you give her some tylenol? Some doctors suggest it for the side effects the shots can give.

Sorry everybody! This thread about dinner is being clearly a hijacking thread today!
__________________
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
PA Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
Yuck! Shots! How many did she have to get? I take Callum in next month to get 4 shots. I remember going through that with Aidan, and I think I got all teary eyed. Poor guy, he let out that one big cry and then I just saw the color rise in his face. Sorry to hear about Sofie, did you give her some tylenol? Some doctors suggest it for the side effects the shots can give.

Sorry everybody! This thread about dinner is being clearly a hijacking thread today!
She got 3 shots for 6 different vaccinations. I felt so badly for the little peanut--we'd been waiting for the nurse to come in for so long that she'd just fallen asleep when they came in to stick her. She wailed long and hard while it went on but stopped as soon as they were finished. She's had one dose of tylenol so far and it's helped. She still has a low-grade fever and is fussy but at least she's not screaming!

Can you post your recipe for tamales? That's another meal to add to my list of "someday" recipes!
__________________
-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
corazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
She got 3 shots for 6 different vaccinations. I felt so badly for the little peanut--we'd been waiting for the nurse to come in for so long that she'd just fallen asleep when they came in to stick her. She wailed long and hard while it went on but stopped as soon as they were finished. She's had one dose of tylenol so far and it's helped. She still has a low-grade fever and is fussy but at least she's not screaming!

Can you post your recipe for tamales? That's another meal to add to my list of "someday" recipes!
Aidan is terrified of the nurse at the doctor's office now. He knows she's the one who gives the shots. He just starts crying as soon as he lays eyes on her, even the nurse gets a little teary eyed. When we took Callum in, Aidan almost got upset but he kept telling the nurse "It's Callum's turn. Callum's turn now." He held his brother's hand almost the whole appointment.

Tamales- I posted the recipe in the mexican food night thread. I haven't made them yet, so will do an update on them in the next few days.

As far as dinner goes, the neighbor just invited us over. She said something about marinating chicken in orange juice and rice. Sounds good.
__________________
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #20
Senior Cook
 
TexasTamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Deep-In-The-Heart of Texas!
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
One of my thoughts was to have a soup/salad bar where you could serve yourself and pay by weight. I could also have specialty salads on the regular menu as well. I know my brother was interested in comfort food type things so grilled cheese with tomato soup would be a natural.
Customers enjoy that, at least I do anyways....I can get up close and see all the delicious things, decide for myself, and how much of each I want.

How bout a delivery boy for just the Prudential building?...once your hooked, your hooked....we had a burrito lady that used to come by the newspaper everyday....she couldn't get there fast enff some mornings, as we all were so hungry for our favorite burritos! Your menu sounds perfect for all those "lunch conference meetings".

Best of Luck to your and your brother. Sounds like a win/win.
__________________

__________________
#1 Rule for Dieting.....If it "Tastes Good"...Spit-it-OUT!!
TexasTamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.