"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Used up some frozen meat sauce, addes some cream and mozzerella, provolone, cacciocavalo, pecorino, and Parmesan reggiano...

Old 03-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Used up some frozen meat sauce, addes some cream and mozzerella, provolone, cacciocavalo, pecorino, and Parmesan reggiano...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	20953   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	20954  

Old 03-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Corned beef with potato, Brussels sprouts, carrots and onions.

I have to say this was one of our best corned beef dinners. I have been trying different brands of corned beef. I've tried several and finally found a really delicious one - Old Neighborhood brand. I suspect this is a regional brand. I got it at Costco. No I have to go back and get a few more for the freezer.

I hope yours was as good.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have to say this was one of our best corned beef dinners. I have been trying different brands of corned beef. I've tried several and finally found a really delicious one - Old Neighborhood brand. I suspect this is a regional brand. I got it at Costco. No I have to go back and get a few more for the freezer.

I hope yours was as good.
The one we picked up at Costco today was Shenson's brand. I suspect you are correct!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I made the supper I had planned for yesterday, but didn't feel like cooking yesterday due to headache.

It was ribeye steaks with cheater Bearnaise (Friday Grilling: Easy Bearnaise Sauce | Michael Ruhlman), baked potatoes, and a salad with homemade vinaigrette. That was really, really good. I managed to cook Stirling's steak well done and mine rare. I seared them both, put mine on my plate, and turned the heat down. When Stirling's steak was nearly done, I tossed mine back on the pan to heat it. I will be using this method in the future. The bearnaise worked well. Stirling doesn't care much for steak, he calls it slab-o-beef, but he really liked it with the bearnaise.

At some time in the future when I am feeling more energetic, I will make the wine, wine vinegar, shallot, tarragon reduction and use that instead of the lemon juice. In fact, one could make up a big batch of that reduction and freeze it in small portions. I often see Danish recipes that include bearnaise and they always have an ingredient called "bearnaise essence", which I think is something you buy in a Danish supermarket. I think that reduction is probably the same thing, minus the yucky chemicals.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #16
Master Chef

As one who likes to honor traditions whether they are mine or not, I made corned beef with potatoes, lots of carrots, and savoy cabbage since that is one that's been in my fridge (bought it for something and then couldn't find the recipe.. ). Bought a loaf of caraway rye bread to go-with. I love soaking up the pot juices with the bread. Heck, I could make supper out of just juice and bread! Himself showed me an Alton Brown quick vid of him making an almost corned beef and cabbage soup that he ate from a bowl. It looked like he had trimmed most of the fat cap off, so that's what I did. My juices are usually more on the fatty side than I prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Chicken noodle soup again.
Probably followed up with a sandwich three hours later because I am still hungry... again.
That's 'cuz you're a growing boy. not saying which way you're growing though...running like the wind...
Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Since I'm Irish, and corned beef isn't, I made more traditional Irish fare.

Homemade bangers - colcannon - whiskeyed applesauce - soda bread.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
Executive Chef

If you are lucky enough to be Irish, you are lucky enough.

I made and we ate PPO’s Lamb and Guinness Stew for dinner. Some dishes inherently suggest and some dishes Require 2 days to make. This is both. It was very tasty and I ‘m about to add a review on the original thread.

Lamb and Guinness Stew

I also made savory scones ( cheddar, garlic powder, parsley and snipped scallions.) I would say these are not much different than buttermilk biscuits, except after patting the dough in a circle , I sliced triangles on a baking sheet. Pfft. Dx Likes Scones. She almost never has more than a nibble of the biscuits I make. I make’ em anyway because I like. Shrug, she doesn’t eat that much bread stuff anyway. Here today, she says she likes ‘em. More scone days ahead.

We each made our own dessert plates. Fresh sliced strawberries, small slices angel food cake and generous dollops whip cream on top for dessert.

And as far as the luck of the Irish goes, this is a decadent and actually very easy dinner to prepare.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That's 'cuz you're a growing boy. not saying which way you're growing though...running like the wind...
This time I made a couple toasted cheese sandwiches to go with my big bowl of soup

Thanks for posting that link, taxy.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #20
Head Chef

I was a rebel today and went with a white bean, fresh chicken "andouille" sausage and fire roasted tomato stew.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinner