"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I love pea soup!
HaHaHa! No, silly, they were bowls of the ubiquitous salad. Mom used to make split pea and ham soup when I was a kid. Never liked it then. Sometimes in the winter I think maybe it's time I tried it again. Do you have a good recipe Andy?

Old 06-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #22
Head Chef

Chicken breast (huge one) sliced in half lengthwise and then crossways, S&P, dredged in flour and S&P mix, sauteed in half butter/half olive oil, then microplaned 1 clove garlic, sauteed in pan for a minute (chicken stacked and pushed off to 1 side off heat, couple Tbsp of the dredge mix to make roux, some white wine and chicken broth to make a light sauce. Then, topped chicken pieces with roasted orange bell pepper (already done, from freezer), then topped with smoked fresh mozzarella slices. Under the broiler until cheese was melted and bubbly. Served with wild rice and a small arugula salad with paper-thin slices of red onion, grated parm sprinkles and balsamic vinegrette. Best of all, only used 2 pans and under 40 minutes from start of water for rice until on the plate and ready to eat.

I usually use roasted red bell for this but the first thing I found when looking thru the freezer was the bag of orange bells so those got used instead. Sometimes I'll also chiffonade some fresh basil and place on top of the bell pepper slices but under the smoked moz for a change-up.

BTW, since we ate pretty early, Craig ended up using his second piece of chicken to make a sandwich with the leftover buns from burgers the night before. So, it makes a pretty good sandwich besides being a dish that can be served for dinner guests.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
HaHaHa! No, silly, they were bowls of the ubiquitous salad. Mom used to make split pea and ham soup when I was a kid. Never liked it then. Sometimes in the winter I think maybe it's time I tried it again. Do you have a good recipe Andy?
If you are not a big fan of split pea soup give this a try.

1 pound package of frozen peas
2 T butter
1 small yellow onion chopped fine
2 cups water or chicken stock (1 can and a swish of water)
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a saucepan, sweat onion, add chicken stock and peas. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth, thin with cream and adjust seasoning.

This is fast inexpensive and very tasty!

I use milk or sour cream instead of heavy cream sometimes. I also use scallions if they are available.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not a question that often gets asked but, "What kind of bacon?"
The streaky bacon
Old 06-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

2 T butter
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a saucepan, sweat onion, add chicken stock and peas. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth, thin with cream and adjust seasoning.

I use milk or sour cream instead of heavy cream sometimes. I also use scallions if they are available.
That sounds like the mushy peas Nigella was making the other day on TV, or at least a kissin' cousin of them. Think I'll give it a go. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Chicken breast (huge one) sliced in half lengthwise and then crossways, S&P, dredged in flour and S&P mix, sauteed in half butter/half olive oil, then microplaned 1 clove garlic, sauteed in pan for a minute (chicken stacked and pushed off to 1 side off heat, couple Tbsp of the dredge mix to make roux, some white wine and chicken broth to make a light sauce. Then, topped chicken pieces with roasted orange bell pepper (already done, from freezer), then topped with smoked fresh mozzarella slices. Under the broiler until cheese was melted and bubbly. Served with wild rice and a small arugula salad with paper-thin slices of red onion, grated parm sprinkles and balsamic vinegrette. Best of all, only used 2 pans and under 40 minutes from start of water for rice until on the plate and ready to eat.

I usually use roasted red bell for this but the first thing I found when looking thru the freezer was the bag of orange bells so those got used instead. Sometimes I'll also chiffonade some fresh basil and place on top of the bell pepper slices but under the smoked moz for a change-up.

BTW, since we ate pretty early, Craig ended up using his second piece of chicken to make a sandwich with the leftover buns from burgers the night before. So, it makes a pretty good sandwich besides being a dish that can be served for dinner guests.
that sounds really good!

i used to make something similar from a lidia bastianich recipe, except using sliced zucchini and a sage leaf or two on each piece of chicken instead of the pepper and basil.

yum, thanks for the reminder. i'll have to make that again soon.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #27
Head Chef

You're welcome and it is really good. I love smoked moz and this dish is a perfect use for it. We don't make it often enough for me.

I got my inspiration from a commercial for an Olive Garden pasta dish that they had years ago. Less starch the above way, although I have done a pasta dish, cubing instead of slicing the smoked moz, and slicing the chicken and pepper, definitely with some chiffonaded basil in the pasta dish though.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
That sounds like the mushy peas Nigella was making the other day on TV, or at least a kissin' cousin of them. Think I'll give it a go. Thanks.
I usually make it a day or two after peas have appeared on the dinner menu.

It is a good way to use up the leftovers and make a quick inexpensive lunch.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

2 T butter
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

This sounds really good, AB. Thanks! I'm going to try it with Greek yogurt.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I'm thinking Walleye!
Mmmmmm, walleye! Nice, S&P!

Tags
dinner