Dinner Sunday, 7-17-2016 ~ It's hot, Hot, HOT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
My meal won't be hot, but I just took a glance at the current U.S. temperature heat map and it looks like most of us are feeling the heat. Hence, cold food here again today.

With the deal I got on fresh tuna yesterday, I'll be making us Salade Me-coise. Not exactly authentic Nicoise, but fresh, cool, and filling. Photo later tonight after we have dinner.

Will you be beating the heat with more heat, or will you be chillin' with a cold meal?

Made Red Gravy w/ sausage & meatball's stuffed with mozz cheese, Saving the sausage for later!

img_1473168_0_075704d1e10b35cd1c992ac5fafdad3c.jpg

We had pastrami sandwiches with pickles and corn on the cob done in the microwave-the absolute best way to go wth corn.

Finally got around to making tuna casserole, with Starkist in the pouch and Campbell's COM soup and Velveeta. Don't judge me. We like it. I topped it with the crumbs that remained from those wonderful Mexican jalapeno potato chips.

Last edited:
Whew....busy past few days. Granddaughters have been here from Central CA for a week, and Tyler's 6th birthday party was today. :wub: It was at the park, and my daughter went all out with a baseball themed party with pizza, hot dogs, even down to the "peanuts and cracker jacks", and of course a baseball cake. The kids had a blast with a hundred or so water balloons and a giant Slip 'n Slide. Each child got a baseball bat and batted the water balloons. LOL. There were about 35 people attending and it was a lot of fun for all. :)

So...dinner was a couple slices of pizza, a hot dog, and some watermelon. I didn't have any cake - I'm junk fooded out for the next couple of months. :LOL:

Last edited:
Ha, Andy! We made corn on the cob tonight, too - grilled! I love the charred flavor :yum:

Dawg, I make tuna noodle casserole at least once a month every winter. Sometimes comfort food is where it's at.

Happy birthday to Tyler! Sounds like a wonderful day, Cheryl.

I found skirt steak at Aldi, so I marinated it with tequila, lime juice, Penzeys fajita seasoning and Mexican oregano, and canola oil and DH grilled it, aki with onions and bell peppers tossed with more fajita seasoning. He also grilled corn, but we were too full to eat it. I'll make it into salad or salsa this week.

What fun Cheryl! Happy birthday to the little guy.:sorcerer:

I was inspired by the recent easy ways to cook fish, so I got out our individual little oval casseroles (love those) and defrosted a package of TJ's Dover Sole.

I melted some butter, fresh lime juice with zest, a touch of garlic, salt with white pepper.
There were two nice thin fillets for each casserole, and I folded them in half to fit. I buttered up a small amount of Panko for browning the top, added fresh chives and thyme sprigs, some sliced almonds and poured the butter mixture over the top of each. At 425 degrees for 10 minutes they were perfect, and deliciously easy. :yum:

Cheryl, it sounds like Tyler's birthday party was a lot of fun. Your daughter does realize, though, that she's set the bar awfully high for the next party she throws! :ohmy:

S&P, it's just a bowl of spaghetti, but when you post a photo the food looks amazing. Nice meatballs, too. I never bother. :LOL:

...Don't judge me. We like it...
The only people who can judge legitimately are the folks around your table, Dawg. If the plates were cleaned off, the verdict comes out in your favor. ;)

The promised photo. There really are dressed greens under all of those other ingredients! When I started supper, my intention was to make some garlic bread. By the time it came to toast the bistro roll I was hungry, so all I did was toast it, butter it, and sprinkle Penzeys Brady Street Cheese Sprinkles on top. It was surprisingly yummy. :yum:

Attachments

• 2016-07-17 21.33.03.jpg
    2016-07-17 21.33.03.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 115
It seems there was an art fair/ street dance/ beer fest/ bands on just about every corner in the city this weekend. Today we went to one and we shared falafel and gyros sammies. Later I had a bratwurst too.

Thank you for the happy birthday wishes for Tyler, ladies. :) CG...his 5th birthday was rained out at the park last year so daughter wanted to make sure this was a good one. LOL. We'll see what next year brings. :ermm::LOL:

Wonderful sounding dinners here tonight. Dawg, no judging here! Your tuna casserole sounds good and comforty. Kay, I've been inspired by the fish thread too, and yours sounds so good. I love buttered panko on a nice piece of white fish.

GG, I need to buy another skirt steak after reading about yours. Joey, your spaghetti dinner looks so good. :yum: CG, I'm so ready for veggies again after today. YUM. Inspired by tonight's dinner posts as always. :)

Another night we didn't feel like cooking. Leftover jambalaya and greens.

Nice meatballs Joey. CG, lovely salad. We have that on our meal plan for later in the week.

Worked late...had a grease trap overflow at the deli. Stunk the whole place up...had to clean it up after close..covered in stink. Didn't feel like cooking so I went out (after a long shower) and ate at a local Brewery...burgers...beer was good. Burgers were ok...

Back
Top Bottom