Dinner Thursday 13th December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had haddock fillets (Highliner frozen, breaded, wild-caught filets) with boiled potatoes and a veggie experiment. I took some frozen Kirkland "stir fry mix" vegis, thawed them and added them to some butter browned with almond slices and tiny garlic cloves in their skins. Next time, I will drain the vegis after I thaw them. It was pretty good, but got a little bit overcooked as I was boiling off the water from the vegis. Next time, I will drain the thawed vegis. I made some tartar sauce to go with the fish.

I did up the pork loin like a chicken fried steak. My tummy is a happy camper.

Attachments

• pork & rig dinner.jpg
    pork & rig dinner.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Lamb chops, yum. What is "winter luxury kurbis"?
Kürbis (curcurbit) is a generic term for the squash, pumpkin, melon, and gourd family.
Winter Luxury Pie, Cucurbita pepo

A beautiful little pie pumpkin with white netting over its orange skin and a long twisting handle. Quite simply the finest pie stock in the land according to Amy Goldman in her book The Compleat Squash. The flesh is smooth, silky and flavourful.

The Winter Luxoury has a thin smooth skin that is easier to peel than the more the varieties that have a more scalloped skin.

Attachments

• winter_luxury.JPG
    winter_luxury.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 147
We had haddock fillets (Highliner frozen, breaded, wild-caught filets) with boiled potatoes and a veggie experiment. I took some frozen Kirkland "stir fry mix" vegis, thawed them and added them to some butter browned with almond slices and tiny garlic cloves in their skins. Next time, I will drain the vegis after I thaw them. It was pretty good, but got a little bit overcooked as I was boiling off the water from the vegis. Next time, I will drain the thawed vegis. I made some tartar sauce to go with the fish.
What's you recipe for tartar sauce?
I make mine from mayonnaise, finely chopped sweet gherkins, capers, finely chopped green onions, thyme, and powdered coriander.

Thanks Dawg. I'll have to cook pork like this more often. I can't remember the last time I had breading on pork... aside from the deep fried tenderloin I made last football season when I did the Colts.

What's you recipe for tartar sauce?
I make mine from mayonnaise, finely chopped sweet gherkins, capers, finely chopped green onions, thyme, and powdered coriander.
Tartar sauce:
Mayo
Seedy Dijon
Smooth Dijon
Chopped dill pickle or not-sweet pickle relish (very hard to find)
Minced onion
Capers
Teensy bit of lemon juice

I knew I forgot something. I forgot the onion. I didn't have any pickles, so I put extra capers. I have never tried adding thyme or coriander. I'll have to try that some time.

Swap out the mustard for tomato paste or ketchup and you have my Thousand Island recipe. ;)

And thanks for the explanation of "Kürbis". Google was not being my friend.

What exactly is this? Is there a sauce with it like our spaghetti with meat sauce (you've probably seen the thread, lol), or do you simply toss pasta with the beef and sundried tomatoes? I'd love to see what it looks like.

Hey Pac :)

Yes it is a spaghetti sauce, we add beef and onion, some garlic and then the sundried tomatoes...we also sometimes add mushrooms and capsicum (bell peppers) and also sometimes some roasted peppers :)

Hey Pac :)

Yes it is a spaghetti sauce, we add beef and onion, some garlic and then the sundried tomatoes...we also sometimes add mushrooms and capsicum (bell peppers) and also sometimes some roasted peppers :)

Thanks. I was thinking it might simply be the ingredients and the pasta, not a tomato sauce.

No probs Pac :)

The tomato sauce we make is lovely...you would never buy it in a jar again :yum:

Back
Top Bottom