"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
DO PEOPLE OVER 60 Eat differently?

Is there such a thing where folks over 60 eat differnetly than others? Im not talking for medical reasons. What do you guys think.

Old 01-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Hmm, well, my father started to eat healthier due to health reasons, but my mom started to eat much smaller portions and more frequently but was a lover of junk food and unhealthy foods in general, and you couldnt keep her away from candy. I'm 42 and was raised on basically homestyle cooking that wasnt exactly healthy. I still love alot of that stuff but eat much healthier, very rarely eat junk food, dont go to fast food place like McDonalds unless I have a major craving for junk which is rare, dont drink soda, rarely have coffee ( I used to have two cups a day), nothing with caffeine except an occassional piece of chocolate. I didnt change my eating habits for health reasons, it was just my preference.

Old 01-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I think we change the way we eat many times during our lives. My mom told me that our taste changes about every 7 years, and it has really held true for me. There are things I used to eat all the time but hardly ever even think about now, and there are foods I will try now that I wouldn't have when I was younger. I can't answer your question from personal experience yet, but when my dad hit his 60s he just kind of lost interest in a lot of foods.

:) Barbara
Old 01-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Interesting! 7 years sounds about right. Just last year I went through some fort of transformation. I used to enjoy sauerkraut and now I can't stand it! Figger that one out! :?
Old 01-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I have noticed a big change in my dad, who is now 80. He has always been a reasonably big eater, a big breakfast, medium lunch, and a big dinner. He tends to still eat a good breakfast, but smaller than he used to, a tiny lunch and quite a small dinner, he snacks more too. When eating out he often now only has an entree instead of a main meal.

His tastes haven't seemed to have changed, he still loves red meat and seafood, and isn't a sweet eater.

One thing I thought was weird is that he doesn't drink hot drinks at all now and used to be a huge coffee and tea drinker, which is a shame. He is an alcoholic, so the the coffee and tea in a morning used to stave off his first drink of the day.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Interesting! 7 years sounds about right. Just last year I went through some fort of transformation. I used to enjoy sauerkraut and now I can't stand it! Figger that one out! :?
Kind of weird, huh? When I was a little kid, I hated any kind of egg. By the time I was 14, I liked scrambled, egg salad, and deviled eggs, but I couldn't stand fried eggs. By 21 I loved (and still do) eggs cooked any way at all!

:) Barbara
Old 01-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #7
Certified Executive Chef

no DS, it goes in and out the same as when you are 2 years old.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russell
I heard that your allergies change about every 7 or 8 years. It was true for me. all of a sudden when i was about 6 or 7, i started getting allergic to chocolate, and i am just now starting to be able to eat it now. thats about 7 years
Old 01-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Re: DO PEOPLE OVER 60 Eat differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Is there such a thing where folks over 60 eat differnetly than others? Im not talking for medical reasons. What do you guys think.

Discounting changes made for medical necessity, I don't think age changes what a person eats so much as how much you eat.

As I get older, I find I can no longer eat the huge quantities I used to eat. I still like the same stuff, I just can't eat as much of it.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #10

I think it has to do with your metabolic rate, which "peaks" around 27 for men, and thence diminishes, gradually...(it "starts" high gear as you hit puberty)...

I believe for females, the "peak" is reached around 36-40 years (where's Audeo when you need something definitive?) and I think they "start" around 20...

If you cannot "process it" at the fantastic rate that simple metabolism gives you (of course this is greatly assisted by physical activity), then you tend to lose the appetite...

As for "allegies", with our four, we had a gamut of them, and were fortunate to be seconded to a good allergist that tested each of them (expensive...thank God for being a Canuck with Public Healthcare to pick up the costs!)...

Amongst those "discovered" were: dogs, cats, milk, food colouring peanuts, nuts, soy products, corn (and all corn derivatives), peas, apples, fish, tomato paste, etc etc...

A merry mess!

With the oldest, I was about to the point of wanting to "drive her through the wall", when we finally got this diagnosis....when she was "dried out" (14 days abstinence) (it was Christmastime, many years ago!) and we sent her back to school, within 20 minutes, the Principal was on the phone, asking if we had put her on Redelin, or some like drug...she was positively "normal"...

as the "tests" are non-specific, you are supposed to "dry out", then "test" each food item in small quantity (once!) and observe "reaction"...she came home from school, ate a 3/4" cube of medium cheddar, as was an idiot for seven long days....(this was the one with peas, corn products, apples, tomato paste...quite a "challenge"

Allergies do "fade" with time, tho' I'm not anxious to "test" Dougie with his peanut/soya/fish/nut allergies, as these are potentially "deadly"

Other things are simply "acquired" tastes...

Or so I have come to "believe"...

Lifter