"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
Constance, I`m glad you mentioned gravy! :)

I know how to make all different sorts from scratch, but confess to having several (Chicken, beef, onion) gravy granule containers that I use just out of laziness more often than I should <hangs head in shame>.
Yep, I don't cheat nearly so often with canned chicken broth as I do with gravy. Mr HB wants it for dinner every night and many times it's just toooo easy to open a can for
him rather that make it myself.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Ummm. Yes I do but I'll never tell lol.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #23
Senior Cook

I do cheat especially as I only cook for myself and after a long day at work it is choosing the lesser of evils do I get take-out, a frozen dinner (have tried these but cant stand them) or use a couple of pre-prepared ingredients.

Cant say I have ever made stock or gravy from scratch though. I must do this when I have a little more time.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #24
Master Chef

Gosh - it's a good thing we don't get fined for this supposed "cheating". Otherwise, I'd be bankrupt - lol!!!

Frankly, I don't consider it "cheating" at all. Don't think there's anything wrong with using commercial broths (like Swanson's, etc.), or instant mashed potatoes, rice, etc. If you like it & it works for you that's all that matters.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #25
Head Chef

I sometimes use the dough from Pillsbury to line the bottom of my pie pan and also use it on the top.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
Constance, I`m glad you mentioned gravy! :)

I know how to make all different sorts from scratch, but confess to having several (Chicken, beef, onion) gravy granule containers that I use just out of laziness more often than I should <hangs head in shame>.
Same here, YT. When I couldn't find Pillsbury gravy mix at our local market anymore, I bought a case of it online.
A little pricey, but a really good alternative to homemade gravy is the Heinz jarred gravy. My husband spotted my daughter using it for Thanksgiving, and bought a few jars to go with some sliced pork we had.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Can uyou tell me more about Butter Lettuce mixes and also more about Riviera Mixes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
I'm one to eat out if I don't have the time to cook (a good 50% of the time unfortunately).

Either that, or I eat simple stuff. I'll buy a baguette in the AM, and just eat hunks of it with some butter and jam. Sometimes I'll grab one of those rotisserie chickens and eat the legs/thighs. Usually the breast meat is way overcooked though so I just chuck that (or save it for soup if I know I'll have the time the next day).

Oh, definetly one area I cheat in 90%+ of the time is "Bag o' Lettuce". I buy tons of the stuff. My favorites are the Butter Lettuce mixes from Fresh Express. The "Riviera" mix is good too. I usually have to pick the hard ribs of romaine out of the latter though. I'll make a batch of vinaigrette early in the week and keep it in the 'fridge. A common meal for me is a pile of baby greens lightly dressed with a vinaigrette, a chicken leg/theigh, and a piece of baguette.

As far as fast-food goes, I'm a frequent customer for Subway's BLT without the T, and loaded with veggies. I'll pick up a footlong, eat half for lunch, and bring the other half into work at night. I normally order it "dry" and add my own oil & vinegar or dijon when I eat it.

And for the real dirt, every once in a while I get a craving for Manwich's and tatertots... my favorite processed meal growing up. I feel dirty having said that. Usually I feel sick after eating it though - especially the tatertots... I think theres something in'em that doesn't jive with me. Maybe some heavy metal that I overdosed on as a child and now my body flat out rejects it. Then theres the seizures... (j/k)
Old 12-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I think we all have "shortcuts" for how we cook. If you like it then there is nothing wrong with it. Even grocery stores and restaurants are trying to make cooking easier with lots of shortcuts. Me thinks enjoy your food and the company you share your meal with.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Can uyou tell me more about Butter Lettuce mixes and also more about Riviera Mixes.
Well, it's just fancy "Bag o' Lettuce". They use more than just iceberg and shredded carrot/radish though.

"Fresh Express" is the primary company that supplies my local store.
These are the two I normally buy along with a package of baby spinach.

Then I make a simple vinaigrette with canola oil, wine vinegar, shallot, dijon, sugar, salt, and pepper. Sometimes I'll jazz it up a bit with some fresh herbs like tarragon, chives, or parsley if I have them on hand. I usually toss some of the bag o lettuce with the vinaigrette and some finely grated pecorino-romano. It's one of my standards I chow down at least 3-4 days a week with some grilled meats or as I mentioned above, a hind quarter from one of those rotisserie chickens at the store. I round it out with a hunk of fresh baguette from the bakery (and a bit of butter).
Old 12-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #30
Sous Chef

I can consciously announce that I NEVER use:

Dried mashed potatoes
Dried milk
Powdered garlic
Mac'n'Cheese out of a packet
Instant TV Dinners
Uncle Ben's Rice
Frozen chips

EVER!! I am almost perfect, except that I love
Cheez whiz, which I dribble all over potatoes in the oven