"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I do something like this each sunday. 3 of my four children and their children come here for dinner,plus we sometimes also have 3 extra couples. So there is always a house full to feed. It starts on saturday morning with a trip to the grocery and from there the fun begins. I have solved the clean up here, I do much of it as I go and then my two girls clear the tables and do the dishes and pots and pans, and bag up take homes for everyone and leftovers for their dad the next day. I get all the fun part, shopping, chopping,cutting, tasting and the smiles as they eat I try to make someting new each week, be it an appy, or salad, or main or dessert. I do ask one person each week to choose the main they would like and we go from there.
kadesma

Old 11-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm the same way vilasman. Cooking is loving. I have been so involved in looking at cookbooks and looking up recipes for just the perfect Sunday dinner I have overshot dinner!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I'm the same way vilasman. Cooking is loving. I have been so involved in looking at cookbooks and looking up recipes for just the perfect Sunday dinner I have overshot dinner!!!!!!
Do you ever find that you've shopped for just that particular meal, leaving you with little for the week?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
ummmmmmmmmmmm - basically every time Vera! And I also find I have spent way too much money on just that one meal.

It really does pay to sit down with a menu and plan a grocery list. I'm one of those that go to the grocery store almost every day. I hate using frozen anything. Not that there's anything wrong with frozen chicken/meats - it's just not instantly available.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #15
Head Chef

Count me in too. I love everything about cooking and food. I love reading cookery books, I love planning menus, I love to do the cooking and I love to feed people. I just love it.

I don't mind the washing up half so much as trying to put it all away in cupboards that aren't really big enough.....
Old 11-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman
Is there anyone else here, that just likes the process of digging through cook books, shopping, whipping up food, feeding the hungry masses, sending them on there way heavy laden with left overs, spending days washing dishes pots and pans, taking notes on where you screwed up or can do better and then plotting your next culinary fiesta?

And I don't mean an interest that leads you opening a restaurant, I mean purely doing it for the burp. And then the smile. And then they settle into your couch half asleep and you have to tell them to get out so you can finish clearing the table.
Love it all. I've been cooking since I was about 8-years-old and haven't tired of it yet. Except for a very few years, I've always cooked for lots of people. My 4 siblings and my parents when I lived at home and, then, for my children and stepchildren, at one time there were 6 of them at home. The hardest thing for me to do now is to cook just for the two of us here.

I love planning my menus and coordinating dishes. I so enjoy the sounds and smells of a good/great meal cooking. It's music to my ears. Even having the leftovers the next day or so is a pleasure causing me to relive the original dish or meal.

One of my favorite meals was a Thanksgiving meal with our youngest son and his then bride of a year. I served a sweet potato dish. Amy took some sweet potatoes to be polite. (I didn't know she wasn't a sweet potato fan.) She ended up eating three helpings and later asked for the recipe. Guess I did that dish well enough to earn a couple of "good" mother-in-law points.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Count me in too. I love everything about cooking and food. I love reading cookery books, I love planning menus, I love to do the cooking and I love to feed people. I just love it.

I don't mind the washing up half so much as trying to put it all away in cupboards that aren't really big enough.....
Ditto, Lulu! ...and no room in the frig for putting away food that is leftover for the people who are staying over.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
With me, every special event and every event ends up revloving around food. We went up to seem my family this summer. We arrived about 11:00 pm, after an eight hour car ride--with three kids. By 1:00 am, my dad and I (he's the same way) had a menu planned for three days, cooking assignments and a shopping list. At the in-laws, it's even better because I can hide in the kitchen the whole time.