"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix...I used to make it from scratch until the one time I used the Knorr's as a quick fix and DH said it tasted better than the last one I made...I haven't made Hollandaise from scratch for about 12 years. Bertolli Marinara...tastes as good as I make without the time factor. Frozen bread for "quick" fixes.

I eat Chef Boyardee Raviolis out of the can, canned corned beef out of the can and Vienna sausages...out of the can of course.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #32
Everymom

OMG I'm getting such a chuckle out of all these. Sounds like we all have our little quirks.

I once claimed pillsbury pie crusts were my own. And then my DH told me that I changed my recipe and should do it "the old way". Crap, had to fess up then.

Used a different wine in a chicken dish my family loves...a crappier one...and my youngest wouldn't eat it! I get busted every time dang it!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #33
Master Chef

I never cook for my self. If my family is away I will eat a cold cuts sandwich day in and day out, two-three times a day. I can go on for two weeks (that is the longest my family have been away in the past), but I think I can even go longer.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix...I used to make it from scratch until the one time I used the Knorr's as a quick fix and DH said it tasted better than the last one I made...I haven't made Hollandaise from scratch for about 12 years. Bertolli Marinara...tastes as good as I make without the time factor. Frozen bread for "quick" fixes.
Both Knorr sauce mixes (Hollandaise, Bearnaise, & - until recently since they don't seem to make it anymore - "Newburg") & Bertolli jarred sauces are staples here. And I don't consider them "sins" at all.

Another excellent jarred pasta sauce? Safeway supermarket's own brand of "Arrabiatta". Very spicy for a jarred sauce. First one I've used that doesn't need "tweaking". Great stuff at a very fair price.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I never cook for my self. If my family is away I will eat a cold cuts sandwich day in and day out, two-three times a day. I can go on for two weeks (that is the longest my family have been away in the past), but I think I can even go longer.
Gee - I love it when my husband is away. Just from a cooking viewpoint, not because I don't miss him terribly.

I can try out new recipes that have ingredients I know he hates or doesn't eat (red meat). It's fun. I can't even remotely imagine EVER just eating cold-cut sandwiches 2-3 times a day for a couple of weeks when cooking is so enjoyable to me. Sorry Charlie, but that's just so sad.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #36
Flour Child

People who clip coupons are so smart, so clever, so savvy...I confess I'm not one of them. I don't EVER remember clipping a coupon from a newspaper. I get guilt pangs everytime I see "Triple Your Coupons Week". Or the woman in line in front of me who ends up with a bill of $10 for $50 worth of groceries...and mine?...well, I'm not telling. The cashier will slip one in my bag and they're printed on the back of my receipt but they sit in my kitchen drawer until they expire.

I'm reeeeally GOOD about searching the store for "Buy One Get One Free" sales with my store discount card though...where you don't use clipped coupons. I saved $40 the other day doing that!

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
People who clip coupons are so smart, so clever, so savvy...I confess I'm not one of them. I don't EVER remember clipping a coupon from a newspaper. I get guilt pangs everytime I see "Triple Your Coupons Week". Or the woman in line in front of me who ends up with a bill of $10 for $50 worth of groceries...and mine?...well, I'm not telling. The cashier will slip one in my bag and they're printed on the back of my receipt but they sit in my kitchen drawer until they expire.

I'm reeeeally GOOD about searching the store for "Buy One Get One Free" sales with my store discount card though...where you don't use clipped coupons. I saved $40 the other day doing that!

Yeah, but the food that coupons are for is always processed junk food. You're better off buying fresh, whole ingredients and making from scratch and totally skipping the coupons. In the end, you save on doctor's bills instead of in coupons.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #38
Master Chef

I LOVE "buy 1 get one free", but only IF I ascertain that the "buy 1" price hasn't been hiked up so much that the "get one free" is moot.

I did snare a terrific "buy one get 1 one free" deal on marinated turkey tenderloins the other day, which I use for turkey kabobs (that we'll be enjoying tomorrow). The "buy one" price was $6.99, which was the normal price. So I definitely ended up with a good deal.

And sorry Velochic - coupons around here aren't "always" for "processed junk food". I get plenty of coupons for fresh meat, fresh dairy products, dry pastas, frozen vegetables, canned vegetables/beans, etc., etc. You must either not be on the right mailing list for the right supermarkets or aren't looking at your coupon offers closely enough.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I like Spam.

I feel dirtier for the confession.
I like SPAM too, and I feel fine about telling everyone.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #40
Flour Child

...what about scrapple?(not me)...spam reminds me of that. I just read where it was started in the colonial era and is still around today. Can't say as I've ever seen it but I almost feel like I know what it tastes like. I'll bet my father fed it to me as a kid. He was a spam lover too...and sardines & smoked oysters in a can on saltines.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote