Fri. 2/24/17, Is Anyone Having Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd vote for biscuits and sausage gravy any day.

I made a patty melt with fried onion slices then diced up just to make sure they were evenly distributed across the burger and subsequently onto my lap. Next time no dicey or else hide 'em under the cheese. Dill pickle,

In my book "almost" on some days counts as "did!"
Thanks! I'll try for almost almost tomorrow. To be honest I'm getting tired of my 4 walls, even if they are nice walls. Jeez, it's like 5 minutes to the gym, I can tread the mill for 20 minutes, then 5 back home.

The problem, my dear, is inertia.

I made a patty melt with fried onion slices then diced up just to make sure they were evenly distributed across the burger and subsequently onto my lap. Next time no dicey or else hide 'em under the cheese. Dill pickle,

I don't know why I haven't made in such a long time. It is so simple to make. Pirate stood there at my side to watch me make it. Now he can make it for himself.

We're having a Carb Feast! We're putting together this recipe that Craig and Med were talking about on the Mac & Cheese thread..
Macaroni and Cheese My Way Recipe | Food Network

It sounds just too good to resist.
Med, check your private messages please.

oh my GAWD!!!
Must try that recipe, even if no one else I know with in 700 miles of us would eat it with me... :(
I wonder if I could cut that recipe down to like a two serving portion?
Help anyone?

Okay, so I re-read the recipe and I was thinking that you stuffed the large shells with the mixture, NO?
Photos please Kayelle? I need some sort of visual on this dish.

No, it's just all stirred together. As I wrote to K, it was a size pasta between the tiny little shells and the huge stffing shells. We've used the tiny shells, penne, and bow ties, pretty much whatever we have on hand.

Thanks med, that makes more sense to me. So what, like a pound of pasta to equal the 18 extra large shells?
I suppose I could make half a recipe and eat it for a coupla days :rolleyes::LOL:

I guesed about 1/2 pound for K. It's been a while since we made this.I

OK, here's the scoop K girl. You need 8oz of pasta for this (I used med. size shells) as Med suggested and the amount was perfect.
Keep in mind, this is not anybody's mama's mac & cheese. It's a delectable gourmet sensation unlike anything close to ordinary "mac & cheese". It takes some prep and concentration (even drinking wine) and I was thankful to have my darling Souschef to help. I questioned some of the directions, but it turned out they were spot on. The only thing I changed was subbing 1/2 cup of smoked gouda to the total amount of grated cheese.
It was beyond delectable!!
img_1500419_0_2f8f467aba06c5ee302666aec40a845c.jpg

OK, here's the scoop K girl. You need 8oz of pasta for this (I used med. size shells) as Med suggested and the amount was perfect.
Keep in mind, this is not anybody's mama's mac & cheese. It's a delectable gourmet sensation unlike anything close to ordinary "mac & cheese". It takes some prep and concentration (even drinking wine) and I was thankful to have my darling Souschef to help. I questioned some of the directions, but it turned out they were spot on. The only thing I changed was subbing 1/2 cup of smoked gouda to the total amount of grated cheese.
img_1500421_0_2f8f467aba06c5ee302666aec40a845c.jpg
It was killer!!! The smoked Gouda added to the taste. I think we can get 2 more dinners out of the leftovers:yum:

Nice sounding/looking dinners! Souschef, we LOVE smoked Gouda in our mac-and-cheese. :yum: I try to make sure I have some on hand when I make it.

Nice, summer-size salads, followed by flatbread pizza. Himself's had pepperoni, prosciutto, deli ham, mushrooms, black olives. Mine was prosciutto, deli ham, spinach and arugula, fresh basil, mushrooms, black olives, cherry tomatoes. Both were topped with fresh grated mozz and a bit of fontina. Also, mine had a white sauce instead of red.

...I suppose I could make half a recipe and eat it for a coupla days :rolleyes::LOL:
Or make it extra-extra creamy, put it into small ramekins, and freeze. Next time you want mac-and-cheese - TaDa!

...It's the wine I'm complaining about. Two standard 6 oz bar glasses of wine, sentenced to the rest of my life with no time off for good behavior...
So it's only two 6-oz glasses of wine for the rest of your life? :huh: 'Cuz if it's 12 ounces of wine each night, >this< nightly wine drinker wouldn't have a problem, and I'm a self-declared lush. :LOL: My secret? Using a small glass. Most nights it's 2 glasses of wine...but if I have 3 I still don't go over 12 ounces.

img_1500428_0_2f8f467aba06c5ee302666aec40a845c.jpg

Nice sounding/looking dinners! Souschef, we LOVE smoked Gouda in our mac-and-cheese. :yum: I try to make sure I have some on hand when I make it.

Nice, summer-size salads, followed by flatbread pizza. Himself's had pepperoni, prosciutto, deli ham, mushrooms, black olives. Mine was prosciutto, deli ham, spinach and arugula, fresh basil, mushrooms, black olives, cherry tomatoes. Both were topped with fresh grated mozz and a bit of fontina. Also, mine had a white sauce instead of red.

Or make it extra-extra creamy, put it into small ramekins, and freeze. Next time you want mac-and-cheese - TaDa!

So it's only two 6-oz glasses of wine for the rest of your life? :huh: 'Cuz if it's 12 ounces of wine each night, >this< nightly wine drinker wouldn't have a problem, and I'm a self-declared lush. :LOL: My secret? Using a small glass. Most nights it's 2 glasses of wine...but if I have 3 I still don't go over 12 ounces.

Oh my GAWD!
I'm gonna have to try this forsure! and CG, you're probably right, just portion it out and freeze it!

So glad you liked it Kayelle and SousChef! It never lasts long enough around here to freeze. What doesn't get eaten that night gets eaten for breakfast the next morning.

I have found that putting your diced onions under your cheese, that you then melt, helps get the onions into your belly, and keep them off of your lap.

I've also found that not dicing your grilled onions can leave you with a grilled onion dangling on your chin.

CD

I went out for dinner--met a high school friend at a local Thai restaurant. I had a lovely lemongrass hot and sour soup with shrimp and a red curry dish for my main. The food was excellent, the company even better. The Elders had Minnesota Company Hotdish (I had to make that before I ran away for 3 hours of "me time").

Diet means two things:

1. The habitual and normal food consumed on a daily basis, throughout life.

2. A thing you go on to lose weight, then you achieve your desired weight and go back your old ways and gain it back.

I mean sense #1, that I'm stuck with two 6-oz glasses of wine, per day, for the rest of my life. I really love wine, but I have been convinced by those who know that any more than that (for a man) is too much to be healthy. (Women must drink even less.)

After much discussion with "she who knows" I have realized that I can either follow the limit stated above, or put up with poor sleep. After years of poor sleep, and after trying the 2x6 test for a week, I'll have to admit that SWK was right. I get to choose: wine or sleep. One or the other. Not both. Both doesn't work.

So I won't enjoy my culinary experiences as much but I'll be healthier, and I'll sleep better. Life has many difficult choices. All we need is the courage and conviction to stick with the best choices.

Measuring wine in "glasses" is not a valid unit. You need a valid volumetric unit such as fluid ounces, mL, whatever. 12 oz. of wine per day, every day, is still above recommended alcohol consumption (for men) but IMO is certainly not "lush" levels. Many might consider this a reasonable alcohol consumption, but most authorities would not (according to my Google research). But you have to have a goal, a target, a standard to meet. "Knowing you've had enough" is not a valid standard, particularly when under the influence.

Perhaps in the future it may become necessary for me to have further reductions. Chili's Grill & Bar now serves both 6 oz. and 9 oz. glasses of wine. I recently dined there and had just one 9 oz. glass, and it worked out okay for me. Slept well too! :)

Made a yummy Penzeys-filled dinner last night. Mural of Flavor on pan-fried pork chops and in the rice; also Fox Point in the rice. Penzeys Indonesian Cinnamon and Pie Spice in the braised apples and Penzeys brown and yellow mustard seeds in the homemade grainy Dijon-style mustard in the cider-mustard-cream sauce. And leftovers for lunch today! 0224171941b_HDR.jpg

GG, I have a hunk of pork loin in the fridge right now. I plan on using it for Classic Pork Stew, but you have me rethinking my plans. :yum:

Diet means two things:

1. The habitual and normal food consumed on a daily basis, throughout life.
I know.

2. A thing you go on to lose weight, then you achieve your desired weight and go back your old ways and gain it back...I have been convinced by those who know that any more than that (for a man) is too much to be healthy. (Women must drink even less.)...
I know.

Measuring wine in "glasses" is not a valid unit...
It is IF you're drinking at home and you know the volume your glass holds. We rarely purchase wine when we dine out because...well, we rarely dine out.

...Chili's Grill & Bar now serves both 6 oz. and 9 oz. glasses of wine. I recently dined there...
If you eat at places like Chili's regularly, I think how much wine you consume there is the lesser of your problems. I'd be concerned with the "quality" of their mass-produced foods. Just sayin'...

Ya gotta lighten up a little, Greg. :rolleyes: I teased about "only 12 ounces" because for some people, that would be a treat. After all, there are people who cannot consume alcohol for health or addiction reasons. They would probably think that the go-ahead for 12 ounces is a blessing.

I didn't think of teasing at all CG. My comments were simply serious and explanatory. I didn't intend to lecture anybody and sorry if it appeared that way. Chalk it up to my writing style. I'm a retired engineer and like all engineers we tend to get exacting.

It might get worse. "She who knows" says my 12 oz. is just a start. Most healthcare authorities speak in terms of 5 oz. glasses. Many say the two glasses is not every day, and that some days should be no glasses. Jeez, I really love my wine! -- Yes I have a friend who is diabetic and can have no alcohol.

The 2 x 6 oz. per day is a trial period, not the ultimate solution. It's an adjustment period intended to stabilize me at a new, lower level. It is not permission to drink that much for the rest of my life. Maybe I can keep it, maybe there's another more strict step ahead. SWK and I will discuss it when it's clear that I have succeeded at the trial.

I rarely dine out. Chili's was just an example. I dine out maybe 1-2 times a month, if that. Almost all of my food is cooked by me from fresh, scratch ingredients. -- Restaurants are mostly noisy places that annoy me and generally I go there only to appease friends.

I am very health conscious about what I cook. I understand nutrition and how to plan a balanced meal, and also swear by portion control. Too much of a good thing is bad. The only way I could eat more healthfully would be to switch to 100% organic food.

It's funny, they were right. A steak serving is about the size of your palm! :)

By the way, I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
Well I'm not believing their dreck either. Yes for some vegetables (there's a list) that are subject to pesticide spraying, there may be problems. But there are many other vegetables that aren't on the danger list.

One odd trend I've seen the last month or so, both organic and regular green onions have been 99¢/lb. and the organics have been looking much healthier, thicker, fresher, more moist.

Even when organics are �$1.19/lb. the mere quality of produce is often worth the cost. Which? Nice, thick, moist healthy-looking green onions, or a smaller bunch of dried looking, thin green onions? I'm not buying on any idea about chemicals, it's just the organic green onions are enough better looking to be worth the 20% price increase.

Well I'm not believing their dreck either. Yes for some vegetables (there's a list) that are subject to pesticide spraying, there may be problems. But there are many other vegetables that aren't on the danger list.

All vegetables sold commercially in large quantities are sprayed with pesticides. Otherwise, the pests would eat them. I assume you are referring to the Environmental Working Group list. That group is composed of lobbyists, not researchers, and their information is not reliable.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3135239/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom