"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
Head Chef

I love my gas range and much prefer it to any electric stove I've ever used. I'm convinced that the higher humidity in the gas oven makes my bread so much better, as well. The only problem I have with gas is cooking rice - because I have a ceiling fan going all the time, I can't get the flame low enough to cook rice well without it blowing out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Totally gas! It has much better heat distribution and of course there's nothing like roasted peppers.

Besides, being in the energy business I can tell you that electric stoves are much more expensive and they'll only get worse. I currently have an electric stove, but I find that I prefer to use my portable propane BBQ more often than not.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I can char/roast jalapeņos over a gas burner with no trouble. It's just what I'm used to.
I have electric but would prefer gas. I remember someone saying peppers couldn't be charred over an electric burner. I do it by propping a toaster oven rack about an inch above the burner set to high. Gas would be easier though.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Electric radiant sucks. No control, slow response, expensive charges. Gas - great stuff, prices are going up for fuel but at least you can *see* what is happening on your stove top. My question: Why don't you consider induction??? Cheap (uh, after the pots, pans, and cooktop charges of course), excellent control, great results. Induction is the future. My wife and I have our next house build planned to contain two separate stations under range hoods, a four burner gas, and a four burner induction. No radiant - not needed.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #15
Head Chef

Have had both. As far as the oven goes, I really don't care all that much.

We were both were used to gas as kids and had it for the first two years we were married.

For the next twenty some odd years we only had electric and learned to deal with it.

Now we have propane and prefer it to electric. But can deal with either.

I prefer the control of gas, but you learn to deal with what you have.

And the wok cannot really be effectively used over electric burners.

So although gas is my preference, electric is just fine.

To me it is not the toys the cook has, it is the abilities and experience. The toys are lagniappe.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:27 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren
I love my gas range and much prefer it to any electric stove I've ever used. I'm convinced that the higher humidity in the gas oven makes my bread so much better, as well. The only problem I have with gas is cooking rice - because I have a ceiling fan going all the time, I can't get the flame low enough to cook rice well without it blowing out. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Rice cooker!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:39 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren
Can't you turn off the fan while you're cooking?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:47 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I just went back to gas last month. I had the ceramic cooktop and missed the gas. Because of the great advice I gleaned at this website, I bought a Wolf dual fuel range, so the cooktop is gas and the oven is electric. In fact, I just came home from this wonderful class that Wolf puts on periodically. I was treated to a gourmet meal by their chefs as they demonstrated the various cooking devices including the countertop steamer, French top cooker, char broiler, convection, etc. They are a great company and thanks to everyone who recommended Wolf on this website.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #19
Head Chef

Thanks for the suggestions - I think a rice cooker is the answer. Finding one here may be a challenge. Turning off the fan is, of course, an option, but this time of year, the house quickly becomes uninhabitable with the fans off!