"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-21-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Gimicky Restaurants

We have a restaurant here called Fire and Ice. (Click her for their website) It is a gimmicky restaurant. The way it works is that you go around to different buffet type stations and put all this food on your plate. They have a veggie section, a seafood section, a beef section, a chicken section, a sauce section etc. You then bring your plate to the center of the room where there is a large circular grill. The cooks all stand in the middle of the grill. You hand your plate of food to the chef who then places it all on the grill. Once the food is cooked they plate it and hand it back to you and then you sit down and eat. You can go up as many times as you like.

The first time I heard about this place I though it sounded like a lot of fun. Well let me tell you it was a huge dissapointment. First off, you have to stand at the grill while they cook your food. what ends up happening is that some people in your part eat faster than others or take longer to go through and collect their food that they want cooked. The result is that you end up sitting at the table while your friends are waiting at the grill. I went with 6 people and there was never more than 2 of us at the table at any given time.

Another drawback is that everything cooks the same amount of time. The place the food on the grill in a narrow row right in front of you. They go down the line from first person to last. Once the food is all down they start at the beginning again and give each line of food a flip. then once they do that they go down the line again and add the sauce you picked. The first time I went up I had beef and chicken. That turned out ok. The second time I had shrimp. My shrimp overcooked majorly because the grill was full so it took them longer to get back and flip my food or take it off the grill. Also because the grill was so crowded, the food on either side of mine bled into my pile, especially the sauce.

This place was a big disaster in my opinion.

What type of gimmicky restaurants are near you and do they work or is it all about the gimmick?

Old 12-21-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Head Chef

Sounds awfully much like BDs Mongolian BBQ, which started here in Michigan. It's OK, we enjoy it (it's a change of pace), but we don't usually go with big groups of people.

Not a lot of other gimicky places that I can think of (not sure if it's because they aren't here, or I just dismiss them and don't think of them again), maybe Bucca Di Beppa's, an Italian family style place - but that's actually a pretty good place for big groups.

John

Old 12-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

That sounds awful, geebs. Well, at least now you know.

The only one I can think of around here is the Rain Forest Cafe. You eat some pretty bland food in surroundings that are supposed to look like a rain forest, done with twinkling lights overhead, fake bamboo and vines on the walls, and lots of animated stuffed "jungle animals." Every once in awhile they roll out the fake thunder and lightning effects, often scaring the little kids this is supposed to attract instead of otherwise. And of course there's the store at the front of the house, where you can pick up all sorts of jungle junk.

We only went there when daughter was little and it was her favorite place. Thank God she's outgrown it now.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:28 PM   #4
Sous Chef

That sounds about one notch up from throwing it in a trough and giving everyone a ladle. :roll:
Old 12-21-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

How about those "King Arthur" types of places where you have to eat everything with your hands like "ye dayes of olde"? Never been to one.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

ronjohn55, is the gimmick of Bucca Di Beppa's that it is family style or is there more of a gimmick?

mudbug, we have a Rain Forest Cafe near us. Thankfully I have been able to avoid it so far. Seems similar to a Hard Rock Cafe type place, but for kids. At least the Hard Rock can be fun to see all the stuff on the walls, but the food stinks.

Otter, I think your description is prefect!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Geebs, you will be going when your daughter is old enough! Wait and see. Kids' birthday parties often take place there.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:35 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
How about those "King Arthur" types of places where you have to eat everything with your hands like "ye dayes of olde"? Never been to one.
I went to one of those a few years back. It actually was a very good time. Sort of dinner theater type entertainment. The food was ok. Nothing special, but not bad. The atmosphere was a blast though. You had to ask the kings permission to go to the bathroom. He would always let the ladies go, but the guys had to perform to get permission. Thankfully I can hold it for a long time

That is one gimmicky place that I would go to again. We had a really great time and it was certainly unique.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:36 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Geebs, you will be going when your daughter is old enough! Wait and see. Kids' birthday parties often take place there.
For my daughter I will go and I will have the best time of my life :D
Old 12-21-2004, 01:39 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Mudbug, I've been to one like that a couple of times called Dixie Stampeed. They have horse races, old west shoot outs, & you sit on opposite sides around the arena & cheer for the north or the south. It was great especially their Christmas show. We took our own plastic spoons & forks so we wouldn't have to use our fingers as much. I just didn't like the idea of drinking soup out of a bowl.