Ground Hog Day Eve Dinner 2-1-18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Tonight's dinner was meatloaf, baked potato and a veggie washed down with a glass of red.

Mushroom Swiss, bacon burger.

Attachments

• 27583502_10156152973839993_564650842_n.jpg
    27583502_10156152973839993_564650842_n.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 187
I had defrosted chicken breasts in the fridge. Original plan was to make Crockpot Thai Peanut Chicken. By the time I got around to start cooking, it was too late to slow cook. :huh: Plan B was chicken fajitas since I had already cut up the peppers. Dang, I had to mix fajita seasoning. :ermm: Ended up going with Plan C - smothered chicken breasts with garlic-chive mashed potatoes, nice salad before the main dish.

Still have a taste for the Thai chicken...

Busy busy busy!
Trades/Sub-contractors here again ALL DAY!!
Geez, when does this end? Or last house in Southern AZ wasn't like this, but...

Hello February!
It was a gorgeous day here today, it got up to 72 degrees F.

But I had a Costco Rotisserie Chicken left in the `fridge, so I
reheated that and roasted some `Taters and Carrots,
found some Turkey Gravy buried in the deep freeze along
with some Steamed Spaghetti Squash--- :yum:

Last edited:
CG, I got the fajitas covered. A Tex-Mex favorite.

Skirt steak cooked hot and fast in a cast-iron skillet. Burn ban in effect, so no charcoal grilling, tonight. The meat was marinaded for about six hours in OO, fresh lime juice, ground comino, dried Mexican oregano, and crushed garlic.

Served simply with flour tortillas, some homemade pico de gallo, carmelized bell pepper and onions and some grated queso fresca.

CD

Attachments

• Fajitas001.jpg
    Fajitas001.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 130
CG, I got the fajitas covered. A Tex-Mex favorite.

Skirt steak cooked hot and fast in a cast-iron skillet. Burn ban in effect, so no charcoal grilling, tonight. The meat was marinaded for about six hours in OO, fresh lime juice, ground comino, dried Mexican oregano, and crushed garlic.

Served simply with flour tortillas, some homemade pico de gallo, carmelized bell pepper and onions and some grated queso fresca.

CD

Casey, your food-photos are so well lite, do you use a light box or some sort of special way of photographing your dishes? I know that you take photos for a living, yes?
Also, may I ask (I was thinking about this the other day when you had said that you where traveling), who takes care of Psycho-Poodle while you're gone?

Casey, your food-photos are so well lite, do you use a light box or some sort of special way of photographing your dishes? I know that you take photos for a living, yes?
Also, may I ask (I was thinking about this the other day when you had said that you where traveling), who takes care of Psycho-Poodle while you're gone?

I have a small photography studio in my home, along with my office. Since I have the professional equipment handy, I figure I may as well use it to photograph my food. It takes me about ten minutes to set up a simple food shot. And yes, I use a 24X36 soft box with a 250WS flash that I use as my light source. That and some reflectors is all I use. Below is a shot of tonight's dinner setup.

Psycho-poodle has a dog sitter that is wonderful. She only takes in a few dogs at a time. He goes to her house when I'm gone. Her cat, Voodoo, is his best friend. They play together, and sleep right next to each other at night.

He sometimes seems like he doesn't want to come home when I get back in town and pick him up. :ermm:

CD

Attachments

• Studio.jpg
    Studio.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Lol, K-girl. I'm allowed about 30 seconds to take a picture before hands and serving utensils would be in the shot.

I stopped by the local Korean supermarket to pick up stuff for tomorrow night's dinner. While I was at it, I got a California roll, a Shrimp Tempura roll, and a whole steamed, sliced squid with gochujang for dipping for tonight's dinner.

Lol, K-girl. I'm allowed about 30 seconds to take a picture before hands and serving utensils would be in the shot.

I stopped by the local Korean supermarket to pick up stuff for tomorrow night's dinner. While I was at it, I got a California roll, a Shrimp Tempura roll, and a whole steamed, sliced squid with gochujang for dipping for tonight's dinner.

JEALOUS!!!!!
I found gochujang here at Walmart of all places, but the, octopus or squid?
isn't easy ...

Oh my Casey.
10 minutes to snap a photo of dinner?
Isn't it stone cold by the time you sit down to eat it?
I get very annoyed when I take VERY SIMPLE pictures of my plate
and then it's COLD!!!

View attachment 29023

Ten minutes to setup, not snap.

I do the setup before I cook. Think of it as photography mise en place. When the food is done and plated, I put the plate in the spot I marked with tape, and shoot. Less than a minute. Then I go eat. After I eat, I go back to the studio, turn everything off, and process the images.

It is just like cooking. If you prepare your photo shoot in advance, it goes quickly and easily.

CD

Last edited:
cd, I would have shared my smothered chicken for one of your tacos...

I just didn't feel like cooking so we opened up a couple of cans of Progresso Clam Chowder. I couldn't resist adding some browned bacon and onion, and a little sherry. Not bad at all.
No shame in canned soup, Kayelle. I have a small inventory of Progresso for "just in case". FWIW, back when I used to buy Snow's clam chowder, I found that adding a small amount of cream cheese really improved the flavor and mouth-feel of the soup. Don't know if Progresso's needs that tweak, though. Now that I'm able to buy fresh-pack Capt. Parker's chowder, all I need to do is cut open the vacuum bag and heat...AND eat. :yum:

cd, I would have shared my smothered chicken for one of your tacos...

No shame in canned soup, Kayelle. I have a small inventory of Progresso for "just in case". FWIW, back when I used to buy Snow's clam chowder, I found that adding a small amount of cream cheese really improved the flavor and mouth-feel of the soup. Don't know if Progresso's needs that tweak, though. Now that I'm able to buy fresh-pack Capt. Parker's chowder, all I need to do is cut open the vacuum bag and heat...AND eat. :yum:

I thought the Progresso was a heap better than Snow's clam chowder. I went through the Big Lot's food section the other day and picked it up for $1.50 a can. Think I'll go back for more. ;)

We were house shopping last night so... Had my quarter pounder with cheese fix... Hadn't had one in a couple of months and it was good... :yum:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom