"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 11-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #21
Master Chef
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear. If someone knows they do not like something then I have no problem with them not trying it. My comment should have specified that this is for foods that they have not yet tried and determined if they like or not.

I made a celery root mashed potato dish a while ago and there were a few people who would not go near it because they had never heard of celery root. They even liked celery, but would not try something new. I think what really got to me was the faces they made. How can you do that when you have never tasted it
I gotcha!!! I will pretty much try anything new. I'm with you, how can you pass judgement on something if you have never tasted it? But there are less adventersome folks out there that just stick to what they know. And as Pie said, some folks may stay away from new things based on health issues.

Thanks for further explaining GB!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #22
Master Chef
I've had people do that, GB, and yes, it is very rude, but there are a lot of rude people. One of my ex-friends would actually make a face and say, "Ooh, yuck!"

My father-in-law was a good man, and good to me, but he was extremely rude. He would come right out and tell you that the clams were tough, or the apple butter not sweet enough. He would say he was just being honest, and I told him that if he didn't have something nice to say, not say anything at all. Fortunately, he liked most of my cooking.

And then there was ex-MIL, who would say things like, "This meatloaf is good, but you should taste Jane's meatloaf!"
One the ex's cousins helped us out with some electrical things, and I had the family over for a thank you dinner. His wife didn't trust my home canned fruits and vegetables, even though I assured her that I followed all the USDA approved methods, and she made a big deal out of not letting her children eat anything she thought I had canned.

I was raised to have good manners and consideration for other people's feelings, and I raised my children that way. My grandson may have been able to belch the ABC's, but his friends' mothers always commented on how polite he was.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
What gets me is when they salt the food before tasting it and then say they don't like it...

well, maybe just maybe they would have with out all that added salt on top. : )
you have no idea how that ticks me off. specially steak, which i think i have seasoned carefully. nope here comes the salt. i don't salt other things and they are free to taste and add if they feel they need to.
taste before you sprinkle. lol
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #24
Sous Chef
Hey Larry, next time just put a bunch of shredded cheddar on top and watch them dig in!
RobsanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Have you been watching my kids. Thats just what they do. I no longer get them to try it as they take a miniscule bit and say they don't like the taste before it has even hit the tongue.

Larry, I do feel a little like that but it is up to people to choose what they want to eat. It's a bit like bring & share meals - I'm always watching to see how well my dish goes down compared to the others.
I'm always watching to see if my dish comes back up....
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #26
Head Chef
The constructive criticism i can take, but as mentioned by many of you, its " the face " , that look of disgust before the even give it a go. It just irritates me. I dont say anything, but if they could read my mind
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:38 AM   #27
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
simple, if they don`t finish their dinner, they don`t get any dessert!
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #28
Head Chef
We went to a thanksgiving for around 20 people. After dinner there were around 10 pies and a cheese cake. I brought the cheese cake. Everyone loved it, and most of the pies only had one piece if any out of it. So it would have been impossible for all those pies to be eaten, unless everyone had had at least 4 servings of dessert! Sometimes people are just too full to sample everything at a meal. Seriously, even my 17 year old only had 2 pieces of dessert. I personally, was full, and didn't want any dessert, though I'm sure they were all noteworthy.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #29
Head Chef
i made abts for my family(cheese stuffed jalapenoes wrapped in bacon and cooked on the bbq) and before anyone even ate one .. a "friend" proclaimed that she had eaten these
before and they were horrible .. and that bacon could not be cooked at such a low temp.
(225 for two hours) .. and that the reason jalapenoes are hot is in the skin
not the veins .. oh brother ...
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #30
Sous Chef
Reading this thread I think I offended my new daughter-in-law who hosted Thanksgiving Dinner. She went to a great deal of trouble to prepare four different desserts. I am one of the few who rarely eats dessert. My taste buds for sweets never developed. So, I said "no thanks" to her desserts. It is my tastebuds and had nothing to do with her preparation. I need to phone and tell her that.

simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote