"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 03-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #61
Head Chef
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Jeekinz and Charlie, around here most Chinese places are Americanized Chinese. You will find nothing authentic on the menu at all. However recently there has been a trend to open authentic places. There are two about 30 minutes from me (in my parents town). Each restaurant specializes in food from a particular region in China (one is based on the Chongqing region and I am not sure about the other) so their menus are very different from each other. They both do have a very small selection of Americanized Chinese items, but if you look around you will not see anyone ordering them. Also when you look around you will find that most, if not all, the people as Asian. Both of these restaurants were started by people who came here from China and were disappointed that they could not get the food they were used to at home here. I am so happy they did because the food at both places is simply amazing.

GB, Where are these places? I would love to try them.

elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #62
Master Chef
Thai is my favorite, followed by Malaysian, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and finally Korean.
The best Chinese here is definitely in Chinatown and we love to go down there for the Dim Sum.

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #63
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
GB, Where are these places? I would love to try them.
They are both in Framingham Elaine.

The first is Sichuan Gourmet. They are right on Rt 9 W. You can read some reviews here.

The other is Red Pepper. They are on Edgell Rd. just off of Rt 9. You can read some reviews of them here.

Both restaurants go heavy on the spicy in dishes that are supposed to be spicy (especially Red Pepper) so if that is something you are sensitive to them make sure to tell them you want it on the mild side. I love heat and can handle it just fine, but my wife can not handle as much as I can. We ordered a spicy dish at Red Pepper and asked for it mild. It was still VERY hot. I loved it but my wife could not eat it.

The service at Sichuan Gourmet is much better than the service at Red Pepper. I would recommend Red Pepper for lunch when they are not quite so busy. The food at both though is simply amazing. I could not say which is better.

If you go to Red Pepper I have to recommend the Sour Cabbage & Bean Noodle Soup. It is unlike anything you have ever had before.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #64
Assistant Cook
I just made Mongolian beef tonight with soy sauce, hoison sauce, green onions, beef, corn starch, brown sugar... mm
PJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #65
Senior Cook
I like my chinese food right in front of me...forgo the chopsticks...give me a "Jethro Bodine" spoon =]
Chef Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #66
Head Chef
Me too - but imagine my surprise when I got to China last year and there were NO spoons. Just chopsticks. I learned very quickly to shovel that delicious food!
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #67
Master Chef
spicy, garlicky & with sauces with it.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #68
Assistant Cook
Corn starchy
PJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #69
Assistant Cook
having spent time in china, i love sichuan food but the real stuff. i can't find most og my favorite dishes here but my good friends has parents who are excelent cooks and cook for me on occasion.
my all time favorite dish is Mapo tofu.
Loving my Mastering the art of French cooking, and Larousse Gastronomique
Man am i glad i can speak french
bananafeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #70
Sous Chef
I enjoy crispy chinese food with a good sauce. I like my rice sticky, I like my beef slightly char. Chinese ribs are fun to make. Overall, one of my fav. cuisines.

"wok-a wok-a"
BBQ Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote