"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
Executive Chef

My favorite is chuckeye cooked to medium rare with a little pepper in butter or bacon grease, eggs over-easy cooked in the same pan and then served on top of the steak with a little finely grated, extra sharp cheddar. On the side I like cubed potatoes fried with onions, celery and green pepper.

Another varient that I really like is to spread a little olive oil over the steak, then sprinkle with basil and oregano. Broil until medium rare. Scramble the eggs and in the egg mix add a little pepper, chives and asiago cheese. I also add any pan drippings from the broiled steaks. Once they are cooked just place the eggs over the steak and add a little extra cheese if you want. A fresh basil leaf makes a pretty garnish. Good along side cherry tomatoes halved and drizzeled with balsamic vinegar served over fresh steamed or sauteed spinach. If I sautee the spinach I add a little minced garlic to it while cooking and keep the oil to a minimum.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

man, all of the suggestions sound great! keep 'em coming.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Get some better earplugs...
Then I could just hear my arteries hardening...
Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Mmmm Mmmm I may have to go out for breakfast tomorrow.. get me some country-fried steak, home fries, biscuits and gravy. The local diner does a great breakfast menu.
I've eaten chicken fried steak from coast to coast, I love it! But, I have to say, I make the best!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I don't understand how steak and eggs could be served with a prime cut. I've usually seen this served (at Norm's and Denny's) as top sirloin and eggs, and top sirloin is not anywhere on my tops list, a tough and inexpensive cut. This is a gritty meal (steak 'n eggs) and I expect it to be served with less prime cuts. My primary familiarity is from the days of my youth, after a night out drinking, and shoring up with lots of starch and protein to help stave off tomorrow's hangover. (I don't do that anymore.)

This is not one of my treasured recipes. I'd rather have huevos rancheros, or an egg, cheese and green chili pepper burrito, in spite of my being an average white guy in Los Angeles. Steak and eggs is a relic from my youth when I stayed out late hours. I don't covet it now..
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Migas with strips of beef fajitas. Oh....I need to make these this weekend.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Steak and eggs is a relic from my youth when I stayed out late hours.
That's the truth. Back in the 60's, the steak and eggs at one particular place was the standard breakfast for our bunch of night shift television news staff. We were addled with lack of sleep and fatigue poisons, and it made a substantial breakfast that would last until we woke up in late afternoon. As I recall, the steaks were thin ribeyes. Overdone, if I remember right.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

yup, that's usually the case, glc. when ordering from a diner, the steaks are thin, overcooked, and overall crappy which ruins the dish.

that's why i started the thread. well, really the opposite. i hadn't ordered steak and eggs out in a very long time, but when i made it at home recently with good quality leftover steaks, the experience was sublime.

what did you do in tv news production?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #19
Head Chef

I too have trouble broiling thinly sliced steaks that are seen at supermarkets today. If you're 20 seconds off in broiling time, the steak goes from med-rare to med. However, I would think thinly sliced steaks for steak and eggs would be ideal (not too big a meal).
Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

the egg to steak ratio is important. that's why i've made it with medallions or sliced meats under the eggs.

cas, if you have a searing burner on a gas grill, or are able to get a cast iron pan screaming hot without setting off the smoke detectors, then you'll be able to cook a 1/4 inch steak properly medium rare or even rare. otherwise you're sol.

Tags
eggs, steak