"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #31
Sous Chef

A person really needs very little food to live, and your body will slow down to preserve itself in the event of food shortages.

I don't have extra freezers or shelving filled with surplus levels of dry goods, but with the grains I keep on hand I'm guessing that I could live quite a while. Most people can go a lot longer than they think on no food at all (including me).

Now shelter and water are whole other issues...

Old 01-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #32
Senior Cook

6 months or more, I really, really need to be eating out of my freezer and pantry. I was thinking of trying to go without the grocery for a week or two. I would run out of eggs and milk and a few things, but I need to use up some stuff before garden season rolls around.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #33
Head Chef

I could probably go 5 or 6 months, but it sure would be boring after the 1st month
Old 01-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #34
Sous Chef

If I could get the big freezer, the xtra fridge, and the pantry cupboard stored in the old garage on the boat we'd probably be good for 5 or 6 months. Our next project is to flush out the water tanks on the boat, and get the water pump working. We bought a generator and we're getting ourselves geared so that we could spend a couple weeks out on the hook if we had to.

We're going to have to eat out of the freezers, etc. for a while - we're not going to have an easily accessed place to keep the freezer, etc. any more.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #35
Executive Chef

The real question is how much food can you store without fridge or freezer? The Mormons have been telling families to store at least 1 year for as long as I remember.{ Im 49} Here is a site on what they do it involves rotating stock to keep it updated but also to store water.
Food Storage - Make A Plan
Old 01-16-2007, 12:24 AM   #36
Master Chef

couple of months, probably. plentiful canned items, pastas, only we often lack beverages 'cause i drink them so often.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #37
Executive Chef

can't even begin to answer this question, but a long time for sure. To begin, we have over 400 pounds of fresh irish potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and Long Island Cheese squash in the basement, and a 50 acre woodlot if no other source of fuel was available. And 50 acres of trees would be over a 10 lifetime supply of firewood. If freezers were available, then we have a couple hundred pounds of meat plus assorted vegetables, fruits, cheeses, nuts, flour and soups and stocks. In the pantry is over 50 pounds of oats, 81 quarts of potatoes (recently canned them), 100 quarts of tomatoes, green beans, corn and peaches, plus 50 pints of raspberry jam and apple sauce. The first item I would really miss is the whole wheat hard flour, only have 15 pounds on hand. But I think I have 40 pounds of ww soft flour in one freezer, so would have to switch from bread to pancakes and biscuits. In the garden we still have celery (but the cold snap is arriving today so will drag out the bed clothes again) spinach, kale, carrots and lotsa parsley. And the garlic crop is in. Think we would last quite a while.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We might get tired of eating the same things over and over but I bet we could get by for at least a year. No fresh veggies would hurt though....
Old 01-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #39
Master Chef

Good grief, Beth, I think I know where to go when armegedon hits.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Good grief, Beth, I think I know where to go when armegedon hits.
, Come on over! My philosophy has been to always share when you have it, because it is very difficult to share when you do not have any