"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

i've always heard that putting any sort of oil or grease on a burn is a bad thing, unless it is antibiotic. people used to put butter on burns
i wonder if lavender has antibiotic properties?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

BT in my fist aid classes we were always told to NEVER put butter or other fats on a burn. It keeps the burn from being able to cool properly. It actually holds the heat in.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
PA - I forgot to mention that obviously I dropped it - but I went to pick it up again off the floor :oops:

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
PA - I forgot to mention that obviously I dropped it - but I went to pick it up again off the floor :oops:
LOL--that sounds like something I would do too!
Old 02-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Ah, but most essential oils are not oily, the name is a misnomer - most of the lighter ones (i.e. lavender) will evaporate without leaving any greasy/oily trace behind. The chemical composition of Lavender (if you are using a high-altitude grown Lavendula angustifolia) will be around 40% linalyl acetate (along with other esters) that have been show to have antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Lavender also contains various alcohols (antiseptic, antiviral), and terpenes (anti-inflammatory, bactericidal). Many years ago, we had a big tube-train station disaster in England, called the Kings Cross fire, where many people got horribly burned. Many of the victims were actually treated with Lavender oil as a first aid measure. I agree that putting butter and fat on burns is a very bad idea - first step is irrigation with cold water for around 10 minutes, but then you can apply the Lavender oil :) The only thing I wouldn't recommend it for would be chemical burns, as there may be some reaction with any chemical residue left on the skin.

Best wishes, Paint.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #26
Head Chef

Well,
I didn't burn myself, but I did break my favorite boning knife, (just an old Chicago cuttlery piece) while trying to cut through a piece of parmeseano-reggiano. I can't figure out how it broke, I was applying pressure straight down on the cheese and the blade snapped 1/4 inch before it went into the handle! Wow, talk about too close for comfort. It was close to twenty years old, but I really did like it.
John.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I don't think there's a cook out there who doesn't have a scar or two from something hot, or a sharp knife gone astray.
Yup, I've got lots of scars. Everybody I've worked with likes to show off their "battle scars". It's almost a right of passage.

One thing I've discovered (after burning myself pretty good), is that the sterile water-gel bandages work GREAT on a burn.

Aloe works great to, and not just for burns. I think anything that's a skin irrant can be lessened by the sap of an Aloe plant.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks paint, that's interesting. i was wondering why you mentioned lavender oil.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:05 AM   #29
Master Chef

my non-cooking related moment of stupidity:
that movie, 'Girl, Interrupted' was coming on in like a minute a couple of yrs. ago. so i didn't want to miss the beginning. i needed a box of kleenex, so i flew down to the basement as fast as i could to get a box of 'em and jumped from like 8 steps up off the side of the stairs down onto the concrete floor in an effort to save time.
my jaw just fell open and i kept gasping through these 'i'm in LOTS of pain' noises. i dragged myself up 2 flights of stairs with the handrails and through the hallways and proceeded to drink lots of wine.
my heel was very broken. it went undiagnosed for weeks. (can you say, 'potential lawsuit?') i insisted it was broken. a bone scan and 3
doctors later, this was confirmed. on went a cast.
next stupid thing i did was get tired of this cast digging into my shin like a
month later, so i had my boyfriend and brother hacksaw it off.
the second i put weight on it, i almost fell. it was like my bones shifted and i could feel it.
on went another cast (the dr. was none too pleased w/ me, to say the least). at least this time it was about an inch below my kneecap instead of right up to it, so my shin didn't dig into it as much.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:18 AM   #30
DC Grandma

Can you top this for stupidity?
While worrying about my teenage son fighting a fire in Northern Cal. many years ago, I grew impatient (only excuse I can think of) and forced the release of the lid on a pressure cooker very full of Vegetable Soup. Needless to say a trip to the ER at the A.F. Base (and every day after that for two weeks) I had 1st, 2nd, and third degree burns on my tummy and both upper thighs. Very painful..and dumb.
After things were better I got to wash the soup off the ceiling..

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote