If Your Grandmother could cook you a meal ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
COULD COOK YOU A MEAL....

What would it be????

I would only want three things....Fried Chicken, Biscuits, and Huckleberry Cobbler for dessert!!

uncle bob, i only knew my paternal grandma, and she was 175 years old by the time i came around. i don't remember her ever cooking, but (in true irish form) eating a ton of oats and gallons of milky, sweet tea.

one of the few memories i have of her is chasing us around with the hair removed from her hairbrush, saying she'd stuff it in our mouths. my sisters and i had a great time screaming and running away.

so, i guess my answer to your thread is a hairball. ;)

j/k.

ok, i'm gonna go with an old girlfriend's italian grandparents, who i adopted as my own.
every year, when we visited them in florida, grampa louie and i would get up before high tide and sunrise and go crabbing for blueclaws, while we munched on pepper and egg sandwiches that grandma selena made, having gotten up even earlier.

that night, for dinner, we'd have those crabs in a light tomato sauce (god help me if i get the name of it wrong :cool:) like a marinara, over angel hair pasta.

it took 2 hours to eat all of those tasty bits of monster, and you were covered in sauce from forehead to lap, but it was one of the best dinners i've had in my life.

Stuffed cabbage and for dessert homemade chocolate pudding served warm.

I wish she was here. Grandma was the one person ( before Paul) that I had in my life who really loved me. I miss her.

My grandmother who was born in 1900 was from the old German stock. You ate "dinner" at noon and supper at 6pm. Her favorite meal to cook was Sunday after church and we were home by 11:00. The chicken had been cut up and "brined"---yep--I now realized that's what she was doing and that was the best tasting chicken ever. She served her homemade bread, green beans from the garden, fresh sliced tomatos and cucumbers, and homemade peach pie (we always stayed with her in the summers). Wow--what wonderful memories!

can u tell i'm from the south?

fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, turnip greens with fat back. corn bread . don't really remember any desserts cept for home made peach ice cream.

babe:D:D

You're right, too, I forgot to mention the mashed potatos and gravy. She'd kill me if she were here. Ha! No fat back or turnip greens, however. Why in the world isn't homemade peach ice cream NOT considered a dessert? What other food group does it fit in??? Just kidding!!!!!!

I would want my grandma's apple dumplings. I've tried to do them but they never come out tasting like hers! My sister has her doughnut recipe down so I don't crave them as much. The other dishes she used to make that I miss are her oyster stew (none of the other ones I have taste like hers) and salsify casserole. I never heard of anyone else making salsify casserole. Don't even know of anyone using that vegetable anymore either! The best meals were lunches (dinner to the farm folks) when we would take a picnic out to Granpa in field. We'd sit in the back of the pick up and eat baloney sandwiches and Campbells pork 'n beans straight from the can with iced tea to drink. That was the best! I still will buy the small cans and eat them straight from the can but it isn't quite the same in my air conditioned kitchen!

I miss my Grandma too - called her Ma - she passed when I was thirteen. Don't really remember any special menu- all were so very good. She could make a meal out of nothing !! But her elderberry pie and cookies- were soooooooo good ! I felt her love more than any too !!

Unfortunately, neither of my grandmothers was a very good cook. My mother, though - fried chicken, rice and gravy and blackberry cobbler - mmm mmm good! :) And I remember my great-grandmother's homemade applesauce made from apples off the tree in her yard; she could take off the entire apple peel in one piece. Another great memory.

I have possibly the only Italian grandmother who cant cook a lick. She hates it. She basically cooks on the one-pot theory and rushes through cooking in order to get it done. she is 85 and still fiesty but going over to grandma's house to eat is not pleasureable... much better to take her out to dinner she enjoys that!

My Jewish grandmother who is now 90 and energetic as ever has never cooked anything beyond tuna salad to my knowledge. I have never seen the stove on in her condo. She is always happy to go out to a deli for some pastrami though.

My German-Jewish now deceased step-grandmother made the most amazing flaky high domed apple pie I have ever had

My love of food came from my great aunt though who was one of those true masters of Italian homestyle cooking. She cooked love into everything she made and her dishes carry on in the family tradition but cannot be equaled. Everything she made felt special and made you feel special (* im tearing up here ) but for me she always made eggplant parm sliced paper thin and lightly battered.

My grandmother was not a good cook in general, but the things she made well, no one could beat her at.

I'd be having Gefilte fish, Chicken soup with both matzo balls and Kreplach, and salmon patties with a side of spaghetti with tomato/mushroom (canned mushrooms, of course) sauce. :D

Never had the opportunity to know my fraternal grandparents because they were dead before I was born. Only slightly knew my maternal grandparents, mostly because they lived about 1,000 miles away and traveled very little and, as a result, we seldom saw them. Grandma was a very simple, basic cook. Mostly meat and potatoes type of cuisine.

There are only two things that stand out in my mind that I would like to eat again that was served on their table. The first thing was the fresh lightly fried crappie that Papa would get on his ice-fishing excursions. The other thing would be fresh raspberry pie Maga made from raspberries they grew in their back yard. That pie was just TOO yummy! Fortunately I was able to watch her make it and can create a pretty good duplication of the original.

Fortunately my grandmother is still alive (99). She taught me how to make stuffed cabbage, chicken paprikash with spaetzle, beet soup, her depression chilli, lamb cake for Easter, cabbage & noodles, paczki, potato pancakes, potica, strudel, babka, and chrusciki, and kolachky. Can you tell my grandmother is Polish! lol Whenever I make any of these things she lets me know if it tastes "just like hers".

Barb

Both of my grandmas are dead, but when they were alive my paternal grandma served frozen dinners and my maternal grandma served, well, nothing.... their kids (my aunts and uncles) did all the cooking on those occasions we stopped by.
But, come Christmas my paternal grandma made a huge spread of candies that filled the entire 8 seat table and then some.
Now that was awesome!

No need to even think about it.

Her famous tripe soup. Yup - that's right - unbelievably delicious tripe soup, & I'm not even a tripe fan.

Her Czech Chicken In Sour Cream Dill Sauce with Czech Bread Dumplings (something that, thankfully, I've been able to recreate myself).

Her unbelievable Vanilla/Chocolate/Black Walnut Marble Cake, which she made for every birthday I had for as long as she could.

oh there are two other dishes made by my great aunt and probably my great grandmother before her that are holiday-only immigrant-Italian dishes handed down through generations. they are still recreated year after year but to me they are her dishes and the memory of them sets the gold standard.

One is a "stuffing" made of mini meatballs, sausage, olives, peppers and I am not sure what else that is flavored with vinegar. I have never seen it anywhere else. It is one of my favoite things I eat it straight as a meal during leftover season.

The second is a dessert which is a dense ricotta pie with hints of chocolate and orange I have seen variations on this in italian restaruants and cookbooks but never the way we make it.

Back
Top Bottom