Independence Day Dinner - 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I have a very small bone-in rib eye roast/very big bone-in ribeye steak preparing itself for our dinner tonight. I'll make a salad and perhaps some taters of one type or another to flesh out the meal.

How are you all planning to celebrate the date?

Thunderstorms in forecast (I hear thunder at the moment) till 9 PM.
So ribs (probably done inside - either stovetop smoker or IP till tender. Finished under broiler) with 2 flavors of homemade BBQ Sauce, & Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce, hot dogs (with toppings of sauerkraut and chili), doctored baked beans and corn on the cob.
I'm still hoping we can grill the ribs and hot dogs.

Brunch was leftovers from last night - the Vietnamese chicken thighs, c eggplant spears & bok Choy.

Last of the fruit needed to be used so made another tart. This time with Puff Pastry. Peaches, cherries, strawberries and just a hint of nutmeg and cinnamon. Yummy. Hard to tell which was better, 1st or 2nd one. Both different, both yummy.

Will I have a snack later? don't know yet, probably... :)

Attachments

• 20180704_144802.jpg
    20180704_144802.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 183
We had our very infrequent rather unhealthy lunch of fried whole belly clams, fries, and beer while sitting on the deck of a waterfront restaurant, so it's going to be a lighter dinner. Grilled shrimp, basmati rice, and a salad.

Happy July 4th!

It's a horse race between the squirrels and me in the blueberry bushes. I did lay nets across the tops and down the sides, but they seem to find their way under them this year. 5 bushes = 2 cups of berries only this a.m. They like the ripe ones only (duh) and there are lots of green ones, so there is hope yet.

Dx made a small blueberry cobbler and potato salad. My tough prep job today is to slice some cold ham, and make a tomato cuke kalamata olives, lettuce salad with a greek lemon dressing.

Oh, and it's been raining pretty much all day so the temp is holding at a pleasant mid 70's rather than the predicted 90's.

Last edited:
I just bought a big package of chicken thighs (bone in, skin on), so I thought I’d try some chicken adobo, which I’ve never made before. All the recipes I’ve looked at have soy sauce, white distilled vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, and something slightly to moderately spicy (jalapeños, Serrano’s, or black peppercorns) in common, but some recipes call for marinating and then braising the chicken in the marinade, and others recommend browning the chicken then finishing it in the sauce. I’m tending towards the latter. Not sure what I’ll make to go with.

I thought about hot dogs on the grill, but didn't want to go to the store to buy them. So, I pulled some wings out of the freezer to grill, instead.

CD

Just the two of us and retired so we just "do" when most semi-major holidays happen.

Having said that, I cooked some (marinated) ribs in the oven low and slow. Made a big bowl of slaw and have some baked beans ready. Lots of orange chiffon cake from Glenn's birthday for dessert.

We'll be fine and will enjoy watching "A Capitol Fourth" on TV later.

We're going to have grilled burgers and corn on the cob with potato salad. I made homemade burger buns for the first time! Can't wait to try them.

After dinner, we'll take our tandem bicycle downtown to watch the fireworks over the river. It's become an annual tradition.
0704181850b.jpg

Last edited:
We had unsauced pork ribs and potato salad. I left before the watermelon was cut. Already stuffed and I need a nap.

I just bought a big package of chicken thighs (bone in, skin on), so I thought I’d try some chicken adobo, which I’ve never made before. All the recipes I’ve looked at have soy sauce, white distilled vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, and something slightly to moderately spicy (jalapeños, Serrano’s, or black peppercorns) in common, but some recipes call for marinating and then braising the chicken in the marinade, and others recommend browning the chicken then finishing it in the sauce. I’m tending towards the latter. Not sure what I’ll make to go with.

Funny thing... I am going to Vegas next week to photograph some cars that belong to somebody named Joel. :LOL:

CD

Gonna have club sandwiches..maybe take the fryer out and have some freedom fries...

I think it is okay to call them French Fries, again, although it is still controversial whether those fried potatoes originated in France or Belgium.

Wait, you are celebrating the 4th of July? "Didn't you guys burn down the White House?"

CD :huh: :mrgreen:

Wait, you are celebrating the 4th of July? "Didn't you guys burn down the White House?"
Which would all be kind of funny, if it wasn't so serious. We get a lot of tourists from Quebec, as this is the closest ocean to Montreal. Some of the signs are in English and French. Vive la difference.

We had hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, and beer. Since we already had the short buns that I bought for the tuna and chicken sandwiches, I didn't buy hot dog buns. For once, the dog was longer than the bun. WAY longer! :LOL:

Attachments

• 20180704_213118.jpg
    20180704_213118.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 148
We had hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, and beer. Since we already had the short buns that I bought for the tuna and chicken sandwiches, I didn't buy hot dog buns. For once, the dog was longer than the bun. WAY longer! :LOL:

Very traditional American dinner for the 4th. Good choice. I enjoyed my wings, but a part of me is still craving a hot dog.

CD

4th was yesterday here, our dinner club went to a Bengali restaurant. The only 1 in nz apparently. Food was beautiful. I had chicken tikka and mushroom delight. Shrooms stuffed with mince and dipped in batter and fried. Mango chutney and rhaita as sides.

Russ

I decided to take a chicken for a spin on the grill today. It rained on and off for much of the afternoon, so I had to set the grill under a canopy. Normally I wouldn't have gone to so much work, but my daughter specifically asked for my homemade rotisserie chicken, so I felt obligated to deliver. Fortunately it turned out great.

XrN8oHn.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom