"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-19-2004, 12:04 PM   #21
Executive Chef
Over the years I have noticed that all the unique and wonderful restaurants have slowly disappeared and have been replaced with steak houses. There seems to be a steak house on every corner, and if there isn't it's most likely fast food or an Applebee's. I've heard that Columbus is the #1 test market in the U.S. If that's the case, we're all in trouble! :?

DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:42 PM   #22
Sous Chef
I have a friend who grew up eating weiners, meat, potatoes, and Kraft Mac & Cheese Dinners. I can't imagine a whole town full of people like that. It would drive me nuts.

Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:26 AM   #23
Executive Chef
Psiguyy - What's a Kraft Mac & Cheese dinner?
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:08 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef
I have somehow missed this thread and just read it.

I have a sister who loves Italian food but hates basil and oregano! Everytime she goes out to eat she orders either baked stuffed shrimp, shrimp scampi or eggplant parmesan

I have a daughter who prefers packaged foods to home cooked - Oodles of Noodles Soup and supermarket brand tomato sauce. She has found her soulmate - he hates onions, mushrooms, olives and who knows what else.

A friend of mine tells me he's not interested in eating anything unless it moos.

My SO dislikes two of my favorites - duck and lamb and tells me not to tell her what's in the food I'm cooking, just put it on the table. (She was especially grossed out by my dirty rice made with chicken giblets.)

Her dislikes come from a lack of exposure to different foods and the resulting hesitance to try anything new and different.

I tell he I'm making beef bourguignon and she makes a face. I then tell her it's beef stew and she relaxes and enjoys it.

BTW, none of these people are interested in discussing the latest episode of Good Eats or Mario Batali's show and have never heard of Emeril.

I guess it's because of friends like these that we hang around websites like this.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:58 AM   #25
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Psiguyy - What's a Kraft Mac & Cheese dinner?
It's macaroni noodles and cheese. The noodles are dry. The cheese sauce is dry too. You add milk, if I recall correctly. I think you boil the noodles, then add the orange cheese powder to the cooked noodles along with the milk.

It comes in a blue cardboard box. Probably costs about a dollar. It's cheap. Filling. Unnaturally colored orange. Salty. Kids love it.

Lots of people simply call it Kraft Dinner.

I've had it twice in my life.
Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:51 AM   #26
Executive Chef
Powdered CHEESE? Well, whoda thunk it possible?! 8)

Twice in your life? That's twice more than I'd be willing to attempt!

Thanks for the info. Some Kraft foods are available here - including an unnaturally 'orangey' coloured stuff in a jar which they tell me is instant cheese spread... But I haven't seen the Macaroni Cheese stuff... however, that doesn't mean it isn't available - we seem to import a lot of US stuff that is ready made.

Macaroni cheese is so simple and quick to make, why on EARTH would anyone buy powdered cheese stuff?
Old 12-21-2004, 05:04 AM   #27
Sous Chef
Heh Ishbel, I would commit murder for a bottle or a bar of Irn-Bru, or a massive piece of Rhubarb Rock...but most definitely not a deep-fried pizza, that was truly horrible. Deep-fried Mars bar however...

I used to be a really picky eater, and still kinda was even when I started to become obsessed about cooking. Staple things I wouldn't eat included almost every kind of vegetable apart from potato...actually it pretty much was only vegetables I had a problem with, but that is alot of what food is.

Now I'm pretty much keen for everything apart from shellfish (excepting prawns/crab), celery, zucchini/cucumber and eggplant/aubergine (sp?). It is funny how things have changed.

My girlfriend was a very sheltered eater being from a rural area and having a instant-packaged mom for a cook, but I exposed her to real and varied food from all over the world...and turned her against her mom's cooking....muahahah my work is complete.
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:35 AM   #28
Executive Chef
Barr's Irn Bru - made in Scotland fae Guuuurderrrrs!

I fully admit that Scotland has 'issues' with high fat food - but luckily my family has never succumbed to that style of eating!

My husband will eat nothing too stodgy - very little fried food in this hoose!

But we are lucky in Scotland (as you know) we have some of the world's best meat (Aberdeen Angus), fish - river, loch and sea - soft fruits in season, tomatoes from Ayrshire... Ayrshire bacon and potatoes... lamb and so on...

The upsurge in good Scottish cookery has been amazing in the past 20 years. Chefs like Gordon Rankin, Nick Nairn, Sue Lawrence to name a few - amazing restaurants in Glasgow and Edinburgh and the Borders area make eating out a pleasure.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #29
Head Chef
Claire, I'm in a similar boat. I have a only about 2 people (other than DH) that actually TRY when I have a themed pot luck (or any pot luck, for that matter). Over time it gets frustrating to work so hard on a dish and see that other people just went to the grocery store and picked up some chips last minute or something.

Now I don't oppose store bought for my pot lucks, but would like some kind of thought put into it. I'm envious when I talk to my sister, cuz even though her potlucks are all Asian themed (which can get boring), but at least HER friends bring good stuff: papya salad, fried noodles, salad rolls, egg rolls, etc.

When I do potlucks now, I am a bit of a control freak and try to have specific people bring specific things. This has been a LITTLE better...I won't get into the details, but it's definitely a work in progress! :)
htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:28 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer
I have to say that I am very lucky when it comes to stuff like this. My friends, family, and even co-workers all enjoy food and like to experience new cuisine. Most are not afraid to try new and unusual things. My wife and I joke around that we are perfect for each other because of how much we love to eat. When we plan vacations one of the first things we consider is the food. Lets go to Italy so we have have some real Italian food. Lets go visit our friend in NY so we can go to Katz's Deli. Lets take a cruise so we can just pig out for 7 days straight. My wife did not grow up eating much variety, but thankfully she loves my cooking and will try just about anything I make. she will also try almost any type of food when we go out. I tried to introduce her to sushi, but she just can't enjoy it. To her credit she has tried it at least 3 times when I have gotten the urge. Most people would taste it once, not like it, and never try it again. She tried a few times. She did the same thing with Indian. She tried it twice even though the first time she really hated it. I have to give her a lot of credit for always keeping an open mind. Those are the only two types of food she won't eat though. The rest seems to be fair game.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote