"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #21
Head Chef

Have never had a budget.

There was a time when we were poor, or at least that is what the demographers would have told us.

We never thought we were.

We were both raised in families that had lived through the Great Depression, and learned to be frugal.

And one thing we always strived for was to have something left over at the end of the month to put in the bank, and we usually did so. Unless there was a sudden downfall, like car repairs or a major outgo.

Today we do not have to be so careful, there are only the two of us. But yet we do not waste.

We still buy carefully and use what we buy. Are still going through the soup we made from the turkey bones (supplemented by some turkey wings that were on sale after T-day).

Darned good soup if I do say so myself.

Now that we are older we need not skimp, and we do not. And when we decide to blow it out we do so, in our quiet way.

But demand value for money, and still always want a bit left over at the end of the month for the bank.

Y'all have a very Merry Christmas.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #22
Everymom

I wonder what all the grocery budget is to cover? Does is cover ONLY consumables? Or does it include paper products, hygiene supplies, cleaning stuff?

Old 12-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #23
Cook

For my purposes, the food budget covers only consumables. Supplies; dish soap, towels, plastic wrap..... would fall under 'household supplies', along with laundry soap, shampoo, and staple type household items.

Equipment, such as a stockpot, falls into an entirely different category; more of a 'capital expense', like a TV; expected to last for a long period of time, with its cost taken into consideration accordingly. I don't buy a lot of equipment, but typically spend to the higher end when I do, as I am dividing that cost into the very long period of time that I expect to benefit from the investment. On that basis, what looks like an obscene amount of money is, over time, actually a real deal.. Over time, the 'very best' is often the very best deal as well.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #24
Senior Cook

My wife and I seldom eat out. I don't really worry about a food budget but it will generally be around $400. per month.

One thing though is I go grocery shopping almost everyday, if we eat meat or chicken/fish I would rather buy it the day I plan to cook it.

I am retired so a trip to the grocery store is a treat to me.

later
Old 12-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Blackwell
For my purposes, the food budget covers only consumables. Supplies; dish soap, towels, plastic wrap..... would fall under 'household supplies', along with laundry soap, shampoo, and staple type household items.

Equipment, such as a stockpot, falls into an entirely different category; more of a 'capital expense', like a TV; expected to last for a long period of time, with its cost taken into consideration accordingly. I don't buy a lot of equipment, but typically spend to the higher end when I do, as I am dividing that cost into the very long period of time that I expect to benefit from the investment. On that basis, what looks like an obscene amount of money is, over time, actually a real deal.. Over time, the 'very best' is often the very best deal as well.
This is only my imagination but each new post more sharply focuses a picture in my mind of you unpacking your groceries using a radio frequency scanner to upload UPC codes into a relational database. When you're done it's hard to decide whether to start cooking or analyze the spreadsheets.

Of course I might just be projecting.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #26
Cook

LOL - Most of the time, no - I'm not like that at all. I just enjoy what I'm doing at the time. However, when I do get started on thinking of something; asking questions; it is true that I start looking at it from numerous perspectives and viewpoints. THis is no doubt influenced by my current occupation which involves programming, logistics, andmanagement:))
Old 12-10-2006, 10:01 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Don't get me started on analyzing spreadsheets

I've got one that I wrote earlier this year, that I check usually twice a day on business days.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I have a basic lower limit, things I consider essential and never go below this level, so if an item runs out it gets put back on the list to buy and so it continues.
my DW shops weekly as I`m banned from shopping because I spend far to much on foodstuffs, I get let out on occasion though to do what I do best :)

X amount of the money is used to buy something New to try, if it`s a winner then it gets added to the Lower Limit BASICS catagory.

meat veg and fish I buy almost daily though, as I live less than 50 foot away from a food market :)

weekly cost is about 40-45 GBP.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Blackwell

So - the question is: What kind of budgets are y'all using? Do you keep track of $$ at all? Eat out much? Deliberately develop low cost, good yield recipes? What do people really spend? Does the 'average' person eat out more than they eat in? That costs $$$.
Yes, DH and I track all our spending. We have 40 categories for expenses. We started this about 15 years ago and this exercise has been so enlightening and life changing we have contined to track our income and expenses.

We raise more of our food than any one we know, by a long shot. My menus are based by what is in my pantry, green house, basement, and freezers.

In 2005, we spent $1738.04 on food. But we also spent $1285.63 on goat feed and minerals.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:11 AM   #30
Master Chef

Allen, take one portion of the pork loin and freeze it for 3-4 hours. When it is frosty and firm, slice it very thin. Then separate the slices with wax paper and freeze. You now have those paper thin slices to make almost any "veal" dish. I take out these slices and pound a little and make marsala, picata, roulades, etc.

I rarely throw any kind of bone away! I'll make soup or stock out of anything!