"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
Master Chef

Real-kitchen-Dream-Kitchen

I know this has been done before, but I couldn't find it to resurrect it.

What is your real kitchen like? What about it do you love or hate? What would you do if you could gut it and start over? Would you if you could?

Old 10-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I would have someone design it who really knows something about actual preparing and cooking meals. We have redone our kitchen about 3 times in 35 years, but never had a real designer. I think it would make all the difference in how well a kitchen works. I keep hoping someone will have a design plan online so I could put in the square footage and placement of doors and find an ideal arrangement of what I need to make it a top notch working kitchen.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Master Chef

What I have: When we moved here, we knew we wanted an old house, and the kitchen was important. Our real estate agent showed us several beautifully done kitchens, thinking I'd fall in love with them, then this one that he thought was a lousy kitchen (OK, he is a fast-food bachelor). I took one look and fell in love, as did hubby. Very old, with old, white-painted lower cupboards with doors, and sagging shelves up above. Big enough for a small table. THe fridge not even in the kitchen. Old Pine floors. Big, very country kitchen, built in the mid 1800s. We've periodically fixed this and that ... painted the cupboards, put on corian sinks and counters (the latter two suffering from 70s remodeling), put in a new stove, took out mistaken attempts at decorations (curtains that didn't even remotely look like they belonged in a kitchen. Not curtains, draperies). The sagging shelves in the open over cupboards became simple glass. The windows just got a white paint to go with the paint we put on the cupboards. A carpenter came in and put in new drawer boxes and hardware -- so the original old stuff is there, but you can open a drawer or cupboard without the #$$#@@## that tended to happen with the old hardware.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

What I want: New wallpaper. Mine is a weird plaid (another attempt at modernizing what shouldn't have been modernized). My pine floors stripped and polyeurethaned (I hate cleaning and really consider it the worst downside of cooking). On the slate (tomorrow!!!): Better lighting. In the winter, when I'm at the stove, it is too dark. It's a lovely, bright kitchen during the day, but it needs better artificial light at dinner time in the winter.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Probably the main problem with my kitchen is too much stuff. I do have a separate pantry - a room about 5 x 10 - where I store most of my pots and pans, electrical appliances not used every day, all groceries not opened, home made canned goods. paper products, cleaning products and supplies. Dh put in the sliding baskets in my cabinets a few years ago and that helps a lot, but my cabinets were put in 30 years ago and many new advances have been made since then. The cabinets are beautiful - solid oak inside and out, but they could be outfitted better. I have decided it isn't worth the bother to get him to redo it tho. He doesn't want to do it and I suppose I will just live with it or make small changes when I can do it myself. He did put in a wonderful skylight a year or so ago. I needed that because my kitchen doesn't have a window.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Master Chef

I live in an apartment. I have 2 counter spaces - one 12" and the other 28" wide. I have 1 drawer - 8.75" wide - just big enough for a silverware tray.

Humm ... could I think up some kitchen improvements?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
Master Chef

My husband and I designed our own home...my husband planned the exterior and the basic things like plumbing, wiring, etc...and I did the interior.
Our bedroom and bath takes up one corner of the ground floor, and the rest is a big L shaped room with the kitchen at the opposite corner, flanked by the dining area on one side and the living area on the other. The kitchen itself is small and compact with a T-shaped counter that houses the stove and extends into a counter with bar stools. I can reach the stove, sink and refrigerator with only a few steps, and the pantry is right there also. My pots and pans hang over the stove on a Magnalite rack, and the microwave sits on a shelf over the counter. I have shelves on the end of the pantry for large pots, cookbooks, containers of pasta, etc. A lot of old crocks, Fiesta and other items interest are displayed on top of the cabinets, and several Renior reproductions and antique plates decorate the wall above. The window over the kitchen sink looks out over open fields with a hardwood forest on the other side. I've seen a lot of beautiful sunsets through that window, watched deer graze on the honeysuckle, and seen many little children (and adults) swinging from the swing my daddy hung from the big hard maple just outside.
The ceiling in the living area which peaks at about 22 feet, is sloped like the roof and covered with car siding, with three skylights to let in the sun, one of which is directly over my kitchen area.
In the east and west walls, there are octagonal stained glass windows, one of which catches the rising sun, the other gettin the setting sun. Across the front of the living area, which faces south, is a 30x12 passive solar greenhouse, with 3 sets of sliding glass doors, so that it seems one with the house. On the north side, patio doors open from the dining area onto a shady deck surrounded by woods.
It truly is my dream kitchen. I didn't know when I designed it that I would be disabled one day, but I couldn't have planned it better.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We live in a tiny flat, and the kitchen is like the one Barbie would be using!! Cris, the Mr. Home Improvement did an amazing job to maximize this tiny area, but for a couple of zealous cooking enthusiasts, there is never enough space! The working area is very limited and something is always in the way of something else, I must clamber up the chair to get to the oven or to reach for many things, and every time after our grocery shopping we have this very challenging puzzle game in the fridge and cupboard to fit everything in...Our freezer (the kind you open up the top) is sitting in our computer room, we can almost never get to what we need in the freezer before clearing out the armful of stuff sitting on top .
Therefore a spacious kitchen with ample work surface and storage area, designed for a smooth flow in cooking, everything within easy reach, with all the appliances that are handy to us in place would be our dream kitchen... Oh, and an direct access to our outdoor picnic/dining area where we would store the pizza oven and bbq pit, then we will be set!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
Master Chef

We redid ours a little over a year ago.
Mine is simple. It's all wood cabinets in a straight line about 15 foot. We still haven't done the food pantry. When we do that, we'll put another cabinet between it and the refrigerator. It's country. No dark colors. We didn't stain, just put clear coat over it. I liked the color of the wood too much.

The hole is not there anymore, got a dishwasher to fill it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	499  
Old 10-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #10
Master Chef

i live between 2 houses and therefore use different kitchens, but i think i like the other one way better than the one here. also, there's a pretty awesome very-mini-kitchen in the upstairs at the other house, too, just the basics, and not a stove or anything, but i love it.
but the main kitchen there is just so inviting. the lighting is just right, it's not too big and it's not too small, it just has this aura. i love to cook there, love to read my cookbooks there while i eat (and then retire to my room in my armchair and read them..... soooo cozy. i want to go there now), love to watch tv while i eat, it's just awesome.

i like it here, too, but it's just different than the other kitchen. not as cozy, i guess. just not the same, but i like it in its own way.

my own kitchen is picked out, appliance/gadgets-wise, but i don't have the kitchen itself yet. i'm working on it. if i could choose, i'd just take my other house's kitchen with me.