Snow Day Dinner, Tuesday Feb 13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm making Ina Garten's Chicken Stew with Biscuits. I already roasted the chicken and carrots. Temps are supposed to drop here and more snow tonight so a stew is in order.

Highly tempted to break out the See's chocolates but I have to wait until tomorrow and give them to my husband (and THEN I can eat them!)

I just put some chicken breasts in the oven and will put BBQ sauce on them in a bit. Will make some stuffing or corn or both!

We're having ribeyes, baked potatoes and asparagus tonight. Kim found whole boneless ribeyes on sale today for $4.99 a lb. He says it has quite a bit of fat on the end, but it looks nice, and we have never gotten a bad piece of meat from this store.
I sure wish we could grill it, but that's out of the question, as we're having a bit of a snowstorm tonight. He will cook them in a hot skillet...they're very good that way. The broiler in our oven just doesn't get hot enough, even when we put the shelf up close, and they always get over-cooked.

Toots said:
I'm making Ina Garten's Chicken Stew with Biscuits. I already roasted the chicken and carrots. Temps are supposed to drop here and more snow tonight so a stew is in order.

Highly tempted to break out the See's chocolates but I have to wait until tomorrow and give them to my husband (and THEN I can eat them!)

I've seen her make this....please let me know how it turns out as I've thought about making it also.

We're cleaning out the refrigerator so it'll be a variety of left overs.

Kitchen demo was supposed to start this morning so I quickly put together some potato soup in the crock. Problems, won't start til tomorrow. But that is okay, enough soup for today and tomorrow!

Whew! It took me six hours to make three deep dish pizzas from scratch and it was worth every minute! I now have a whole new respect for the pie. That kicked my ***. I highly recommend MJ's pizza dough recipe, it's perfect.

DampCharcoal said:
Whew! It took me six hours to make three deep dish pizzas from scratch and it was worth every minute! I now have a whole new respect for the pie. That kicked my ***. I highly recommend MJ's pizza dough recipe, it's perfect.
Hey, DampC. Congratulations on finally making your pizza. Now ain't that good eatin'? We always make our pizzas homemade. Just doesn't get any better than that.

Last edited:
kitchenelf said:
It's a homemade macaroni and cheese kinda night - with a salad.
Yum! That sounds tasty. I haven't made that in a couple months. dh mentioned it last night, we'll be eating that soon.

I had leftover mashed potatoes. They were gross.

I made the brownies today that looked so delicious in the photo. With toasted almonds and caramel. They were also gross. Too bitter and too sweet and too cakey. Somehow it didn't click to me that they would be cakey, I like chewy brownies. I can't believe I wasn't thinking, especially since there was sifted cake flour in the recipe. oh well.

Tomorrow's dinner will be good!

Corazon, that's a lot of gross . . . Early in my pregnancies I thought just about everything was gross . . . hmmmmmmm.

SizzlininIN said:
I've seen her make this....please let me know how it turns out as I've thought about making it also.

We're cleaning out the refrigerator so it'll be a variety of left overs.

I've made Ina's chicken stew with biscuits for years - its easy. I cut the recipe in half and it still easily makes a 9 x 13 pan of stew. Instead of cooking the chicken in the oven, I throw 2-3 bone-in breasts in the crock with pearl onions, carrots and garlic, a little olive oil, sprinkle of herbes de provence and a splash of olive oil and a can of chicken broth. When the breasts are done, I chop the meat and carrots, onions up. Then I simply follow the recipe starting with the onions being cooked in butter and the making of the sauce.

I usually do not cut the biscuit recipe in half because we like alot of biscuits on top.

Its great leftover too - I'm having it for lunch at work today.

Try it sometime, I think you'll like it.

PytnPlace said:
Corazon, that's a lot of gross . . . Early in my pregnancies I thought just about everything was gross . . . hmmmmmmm.
I just hate it when I work so hard on making something and it turns out gross! What a disappointment and waste of time. Dinner tonight will be a lot more tasty. No grossness allowed! :LOL:

My next door neighbor showed up with hootch and salami, we added cheese and crackers, and we had a small (three of us) impromptu storm party while the snow piled up.

Toots said:
I've made Ina's chicken stew with biscuits for years - its easy. I cut the recipe in half and it still easily makes a 9 x 13 pan of stew. Instead of cooking the chicken in the oven, I throw 2-3 bone-in breasts in the crock with pearl onions, carrots and garlic, a little olive oil, sprinkle of herbes de provence and a splash of olive oil and a can of chicken broth. When the breasts are done, I chop the meat and carrots, onions up. Then I simply follow the recipe starting with the onions being cooked in butter and the making of the sauce.

I usually do not cut the biscuit recipe in half because we like alot of biscuits on top.

Its great leftover too - I'm having it for lunch at work today.

Try it sometime, I think you'll like it.

Thanks Toots!

Back
Top Bottom