"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I have similar thoughts Harry. And this is the right thread to discuss this. I think along these lines somedays when it seems I have too much food, make too much, more than I can eat, and Know someone else is not eating right or even sleeping in a comforatable bed at night.

There was a recent newspaper article, a McDonald's Mgr brought in a stack of forms so all their employees who qualifiy, could sign up for Food Stamps. Like this was a good thing to be commended for helping employees. Well, no. How about paying employees a livable wage.

Well, there are many ways of giving. Whether it involves hiring your unemployed family members or friends to do repair work or painting that you could perform yourself, but they won't take an offer of assistance itself, or finding ways that most directly impact the people who are in need.

With all that said, I am making some chicken ( with plans for the leftovers later in the week.) More mash potatoes and gravy. I think I like gravy. Roasted carrots. I bought some pears today too.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
Proud American

Oh no. I am sorry. I shall take away of my inviting Carl for the dinner.

I shall not speak of dinner again.

I did not mean to offend.

With love,
~Cat

Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I have similar thoughts Harry. And this is the right thread to discuss this. I think along these lines somedays when it seems I have too much food, make too much, more than I can eat, and Know someone else is not eating right or even sleeping in a comforatable bed at night.

There was a recent newspaper article, a McDonald's Mgr brought in a stack of forms so all their employees who qualifiy, could sign up for Food Stamps. Like this was a good thing to be commended for helping employees. Well, no. How about paying employees a livable wage.

Well, there are many ways of giving. Whether it involves hiring your unemployed family members or friends to do repair work or painting that you could perform yourself, but they won't take an offer of assistance itself, or finding ways that most directly impact the people who are in need.

With all that said, I am making some chicken ( with plans for the leftovers later in the week.) More mash potatoes and gravy. I think I like gravy. Roasted carrots. I bought some pears today too.
spot on whiska,you're right,it only takes a moment to reflect,the tiniest adjustment,the most(you may think)inconsequential action to make a huge difference to some unfortunate persons life.thanks mate!!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

With love,
~Cat
Cat, this was not meant for you personally and you have not offended anyone. It's just a wish that we all reflect on how lucky we are that in general we don't have to worry about where our next meal will come from.

Please tell us, in the other thread, what you are planning for your dinner with Carl
Old 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

With love,
~Cat
no,no,no cat.you MUST keep to your plans!!those who remain happy & healthy are in the best place to help others.so get on the phone & ask him over....NOW!!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
no,no,no cat.you MUST keep to your plans!!those who remain happy & healthy are in the best place to help others.so get on the phone & ask him over....NOW!!
Agreed.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
Head Chef

If we could just bring this back to the subject .....

Well done Harry on your work at the food bank! where would we be without people giving their own time to help others .

katycooks - while you are looking for work have you considered voluntary work ? You can put your experience on a cv and it can often lead to paid work ? Good luck !
Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
Executive Chef

time to lighten the mood methinks,fellow gastronauts....."look out",i hear you say,"he's off again"....well.....yes!!after all the chat about crispy skin,pork cracklin' & the like on guilty pleasures i thought harry(that's not me real name by the way)time for a rotiss chook & salad.off i toddle to marks & spencers who,imho,sell the best "non speciality"chicken going...the northern irish "oakham" chicken...lean,mean & full of flavour.at £4/$6 for a bird weighing in at over a kilo/2.2lbs,cheaper/better than my other fav retailer,tesco..huzzah!.i also found some north atlantic cold water prawns on yellow label & had some baby avocado's left over from the other night.so i just stuck a lemon quarter,some thyme & half a head of garlic up the said chooks bum,mashed a stock cube in some evoo & smeared that over the poor unfortunates skin,whacked her on the rotiss,made up a quick baby avo & prawn cocktail in home made marie rose sauce & a simple salad.so there you have it: rotiss chook with prawn cocktail & salad.macon villages blanc colder than a sky divers nostril
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICKEN SALAD 001.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	19250   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICKEN SALAD 002.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	19251  

Name:	CHICKEN SALAD 004.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	19252   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICKEN SALAD 008.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	19253  

Name:	CHICKEN SALAD 009.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	19254   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICKEN SALAD 005.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	19255  

Name:	CHICKEN SALAD 006.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	19256   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICKEN SALAD 007.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	19257  

Name:	CHICKEN SALAD 010.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	19258   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICKEN SALAD 012.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	19259  

Old 10-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
If we could just bring this back to the subject .....

Well done Harry on your work at the food bank! where would we be without people giving their own time to help others .

katycooks - while you are looking for work have you considered voluntary work ? You can put your experience on a cv and it can often lead to paid work ? Good luck !
thanks gravy,i happen to know that you have done your(probably more than)fair share in that direction too,respect hun!!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
Executive Chef

And just to make sure Harry's in his happy place, the ESPN on-line sports network is displaying UK socccer games right now. Hope you're getting it on the teevee. I can only read the play by play for free.

14' Offside called on Javier HernŠndez
Manchester United 0-0 Norwich City 14'

Tags
dinner