Spicy "Caviar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
So I had an idea, based on the appearance of salmon roe. The idea was to make something that looked like the roe, but tasted like something completely different. And I wanted to make something that was spicy. Sambal Olek immediately came to mind, and so it was. The key was turning the sambal into a liquid which not only had heat, but had flavor. A little bit of sodium alginate, a bath of calcium chloride, and here's the result. I ended up pairing it with a "smoked" sous vide salmon to do a take on smoked salmon and caviar. I'm going to try this next with other dishes that you normally see salmon paired with (i.e. sushi, tartare, etc.). So many possibilities, so little time.

So I had an idea, based on the appearance of salmon roe. The idea was to make something that looked like the roe, but tasted like something completely different. And I wanted to make something that was spicy. Sambal Olek immediately came to mind, and so it was. The key was turning the sambal into a liquid which not only had heat, but had flavor. A little bit of sodium alginate, a bath of calcium chloride, and here's the result. I ended up pairing it with a "smoked" sous vide salmon to do a take on smoked salmon and caviar. I'm going to try this next with other dishes that you normally see salmon paired with (i.e. sushi, tartare, etc.). So many possibilities, so little time.

Did you say Caviar! You have my attention. :) Love salmon & caviar. betcha this would be great in a crepe (or a Wolfie pizza).

Last edited:
Oooohhhh, IronChef, you put *CHEMICALS* in your *FOOD*!?!?!? OMG!!!
(just kidding some people who freak out about chemicals in food ;))

That looks and sounds very interesting. What do the chemicals do?

very, very cool, i.c..

essentially, you dripped hot sauce made from chili paste into a chemical bath that caused it to be encapsulated into little balls that look like caviar.

my first thought of salmon is dill/basil butter. can you encapsulate that?

very, very cool, i.c..

essentially, you dripped hot sauce made from chili paste into a chemical bath that caused it to be encapsulated into little balls that look like caviar.

my first thought of salmon is dill/basil butter. can you encapsulate that?

The dill component would be easy. I've made basil caviar with a basil puree base, so pureeing the dill would be the same concept. The butter would be tricky because I couldn't use the same method; it only works with cold liquid. Another option would be to use Agar Agar as a gelling agent because it will stay gelled up until 135 degrees F. So I could maybe do a butter gel, but I don't think I could encapsulate it.

Back
Top Bottom