TGI Friday June 24th - What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Wow, I am up early! And already have dinner planned! We usually go casual Friday nights as it is the end of the week and like to relax.

Tonight it will be CW's Eggplant Poutine, nachos and a gingered fruit salsa recipe I came across, with raw veggies and the elusive strawberry sorbet for dessert.

What's on your menu for tonight?

I have no clue.
I did see a program this morning, hunt, kill and cook... something like that. They made a corn and black bean salsa and served it on grilled avacado halves. That looked tempting. I'm not sure if I could call that an actual dinner, but maybe something else will pop into my head to throw on the grill besides avacados.

Not sure the title of the show appeals to me, Pac, but the avocado sure does! Sounds like something that would go well with a steak or (in keeping with the show) a bison burger or two! :rolleyes:

A change already! DH just got up and wants to me to try out the new gluten free pizza dough mix I bought awhile ago so I guess we are having pizza. Not sure of toppings but I have to get him some of his no soy/dairy/taste cheese like product :)lol:) so will see about some nice fresh topping items! I make the sauce with some crushed tomatoes and will be able to add some fresh herbs from my garden!

Not sure the title of the show appeals to me, Pac, but the avocado sure does! Sounds like something that would go well with a steak or (in keeping with the show) a bison burger or two! :rolleyes:

Did you see the show? They were grilling bison!
Pretty intuitive if you didn't, LP.

We're STILL clearing out the fridge.(I tend to cook too much when DS is home and he is out of his eating all the time teenage phase) I have 3 chicken fried steaks, mashed taters and gravy left so those will get heated up along with some canned green beans.

Hmm. Not sure yet. Friday night is usually Pizza night, but seeing as I am the primary cook, I may shift that one to tomorrow night, when I am gone out to play at a wedding. I have some new found time on my hands so I may stoke up a fire in the bbq and do up some ribs.

Did you see the show? They were grilling bison!
Pretty intuitive if you didn't, LP.
No, wouldn't have watched it if it was on here so you'll have to go with the intuition! :cool: We had a Canadian show called "Wild Chef" awhile back but I am just not into game, hunting, any of that stuff. I am actually a frustrated vegetarian. I eat meat only because I have to - my body needs red meat protein. But I go meatless or poultry/fish as much as possible!

I'm making a thyme flavored chicken stock today. I'll have to figure out how to use it.

Dinner will be fried kielbasa slices (I cut mine lengthwise in thirds), Swiss cheese, dill relish, and a littleThousand Island dressing; pressed Cuban style on French bread.

I'm making a thyme flavored chicken stock today. I'll have to figure out how to use it.

Dinner will be fried kielbasa slices (I cut mine lengthwise in thirds), Swiss cheese, dill relish, and a littleThousand Island dressing; pressed Cuban style on French bread.

In bacon grease like Alberto's breakfast vid?
I'm going to try that sometime. I like pressed Cubans and I'm sure a little bacon grease on the outside of the bread would be a nice touch.

No sense starting a separate thread, so can I ask here how to buy a ripe avacado? Should it be soft? Should it smell a certain way? First time avacado buyer, too. Just like cantaloupe.

In bacon grease like Alberto's breakfast vid?
I'm going to try that sometime. I like pressed Cubans and I'm sure a little bacon grease on the outside of the bread would be a nice touch.

No sense starting a separate thread, so can I ask here how to buy a ripe avacado? Should it be soft? Should it smell a certain way? First time avacado buyer, too. Just like cantaloupe.

Yes to bacon grease, and yes, avocado should be soft to gentle pressure. No smell test that I know of.

I'm thinking a warm quinoa salad with an oil-vinegar dressing, okra and whatever else I find in the veggie bin. I have honeydew and strawberries for dessert.

It's been a rain filled week for us and today is no different. I can't predict whether it's going to rain so it's indoor cooking for me.

I will be roasting a pork tenderloin and serving it with rice and steamed broccoli.

we'll be doing a version of the show pac mentioned, but ours will be "fish, kill, and cook".

i'm taking the family down the shore today for their first time salt water fishing. so, hopefully dinner wlll be fluke or striped bass.

we'll just be fishing from a pier since the weather is so bad, but i hope something's biting.

Good luck Bucky! I wonder if what happened on my first fishing trip with my Dad and Grandpa when I was about your son's age. I caught three beauties and they didn't catch a thing! :LOL:

we'll be doing a version of the show pac mentioned, but ours will be "fish, kill, and cook".

i'm taking the family down the shore today for their first time salt water fishing. so, hopefully dinner wlll be fluke or striped bass.

we'll just be fishing from a pier since the weather is so bad, but i hope something's biting.
The skeeters will be biting for sure!! LOL Have fun Bucky. We will be going down the shore in about a week or so. We go to Seaside Hghts to the Carousel Arcade on the boardwalk to play then hit the sausage and pepper, clam on 1/2 shell, corn and lemonade venders!! lol We don't swim or fish.

Have a GREAT time Bucky!!

Last edited:
thanks lp, pac, and mofet.

to set the mood, i watched the original "jaws" movie yesterday afternoon with the little guy. i love that movie. it came out during tge summer when i was 10 or so and we were vacationing on long beach island. boy, did i have a hard time swimming in the ocean that year.

dw freaked out a bit about the movie but i made sure to ff past the really gruesome scenes, like when ben gardner's head appears in the hole in the bottom of his boat. :ohmy:

lol, i did happen to forget about the bloody leg that sinks to the bottom in the bay. lol oops.

thanks again. if we catch anything, i'll post pics.

Back
Top Bottom