Thanksgiving 2014: The Meal! The Memories!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My gravy was perfection...yes, I am rubbing it in. Go make yourself some gravy. My cheese sauce was, dare I say it, perfection...go make gravy and eat it on everything for the day.

I had gravy for lunch. Didn't need anything else.

Please don't feel terrible. You were upfront about your dietary needs, diabetics need to stick to their guns. You have chosen what works for you. Don't let others, even well-meaning others, Bully/Guilt you into their idea of how to treat YOUR diabetes.

What she said is so true. I just pick and choose what I can eat with no fuss. I don't expect others to cook according to me needs. The fact that she went out of her way for you, just shows how she feels about you. Evidently she likes you and wants you to be around for a long time.

And BTW, it was not my intention, but I made a diabetic apple pie for my G'son and his Gf. I completely forgot to put sugar in it. The pie went in a hurry. Not a crumb left in the pie plate. But the best compliment I got was that there wasn't any of that juice floating in the bottom on the pie plate. It was so easy to cut and the mixture of apples I chose to use were sweet enough to provide their own sugar. I just think I got a new recipe for apple pie for the family. :angel:

I went out on a turkey limb by trying America's Test Kitchen's reworking of Julia Child's method of deconstructing the turkey. It was a lot of trouble and mostly successful, but I should have checked the temperature with an instant-read thermometer instead of relying solely on their roasting time -- I felt it was a little dry instead of having the exceptional juiciness that was promised.

I can't say that it was more enjoyable than the plain old 'stick it in the oven' method I have used for years. I still ate and enjoyed turkey for all 3 meals on Friday. With gravy, of course, made with Chief's method. Thanks, Chief.

Also made a spinach/Swiss casserole, a tweaked green bean casserole, and boughten cole slaw. Out-of-a-can biscuits brushed with garlic butter.

A gallon of gravy is a good thing. :yum: ;)

;) Who does she think she is complaining to? Nobody in this forum. We don't hear her. Too much gravy? What a silly thing to say. And to think I haven't evn had any this year. I missed my big meal. :angel:

I know for sure that I'll ever again get myself in a guilty flap over not making my own turkey stock, when I have a nearby Trader Joes. The full flavor of their boxed turkey stock was the best stock I've ever tasted, bar none. I wish I owned more than just turkey stock in that outfit!

Back
Top Bottom