Thursday dinner 10/08/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those Super Cute Baby Pumpkins

I just had the most wonderful, delicious experiencee!

Every year I look in vain for those little baby pumpkins.]

Finally after about six years, I found a net bag with 5 little pumpkins. The kind you would use to decorate.

6 years ago someone gave me a small adorable pumpkin, not as little as these.

I was hungry and pierced it just to the seed chamber, then threw it in the oven at 350° whole for as long as it took until it was cooked through and mushy tender.

I've wanted to experience that treat again, but had to wait 6 years.

These cuties are pretty small, but baked at 360° for an hour it was the same melt in the mouth wonderful experience.

I halved it when it was cooked, and scooped out the seeds, added salt and a lot of butter. YUMMY!

For dinner I'll have another serving of that delicious meat and spinach lasagna I made yesterday. Or, spaghetti with the rest of the meat and spaghetti sauce left over.

Oh boy! I still have 4 more baby pumpkins!!!

Last edited:
Leftover chef's salad and a couple chicken wings.

Those bitty pumpkins sound great, Z!

Yup, what Dawg said, Z! Enjoy those sweet babies.

Leftovers. And salad...with must-go spinach and romaine. Heading to the grocery store soon, and we won't have room for new stuff and old stuff. By the time we're done eating, all I want left over is the ham from the weekend. I have plans for that ham, so Himself had best not touch it tonight.

Big dinner tonight...having my sister and her dh and our dance teacher over for dinner; baked chicken, our potatoes and green beans in sides, and fresh peach pie. Dance teacher is bringing wine and sis is bringing bread. I made the pie yesterday and snapped the beans this am. Time to relax a bit.

Manicotti with pancetta/vodka sauce. Fresh pasta dough is resting and waiting to be rolled. Sauce base and ricotta-based filling are almost defrosted. New chunk of pancetta is waiting in the fridge to be opened and a nice chunk cut off to dice. Probably an arugula salad to go with.

I'm happy for you Z ! :sorcerer:

The SousChef brought some special take out chicken home for dinner, flame broiled with special barbecue sauce, and Cesar Salad.
No cooking here tonight.;)

When I have to go to my dentist down in the San Fernando Valley, I stop by Stonefire Grill on the way home and pick up the chicken dinners. I also stop by a local supermarket that has a lot of unusual middle eastern and Oriental items. Today they had dragon fruit in the produce section, so I had to buy one.
I got on the web to see how to eat it, and it was sort of like a kiwi fruit with all the edible seeds, but not as sweet.
220px-Pitaya_cross_section_ed2.jpg

My dad and stepmother are visiting for a few days. My nephew is driving from an army base in Kansas to his new posting in North Carolina and came by on his way. So my dad took us out to dinner at a local tavern. I had the crab cakes with Cajun aioli and mac and cheese. So good.

Attachments

• 1444356225343.jpg
    1444356225343.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 149
Apple pie and cheese puffs. Taking full advantage of being a grownup and eating what I please!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

We finally had the beef tartar. I chopped it by hand. I got two small blisters. I don't think I'll be doing that again. The meat was delicious, but the meal was a bit disappointing.

Bought a Presto FryDaddy fryer today. My bigger Presto Cool Daddy was OK , but too bulky and too much a hassle to clean up, used too much oil, and didn't even reach 340F. I just fried up some chicken drumettes coated in Dixie Fry mix and some french fries with my FryDaddy and they fried up faster and crispier than my more expensive Presto CoolDaddy fryer ($45). The Presto Frydaddy was only $19 at K-mart. Old school is sometimes better.

Last edited:
We finally had the beef tartar. I chopped it by hand. I got two small blisters. I don't think I'll be doing that again. The meat was delicious, but the meal was a bit disappointing.

I'm sad to hear that Taxi. Can you share why it was disappointing? I was really looking forward to a good report.

I just had the most wonderful, delicious experiencee!

Every year I look in vain for those little baby pumpkins.]

Finally after about six years, I found a net bag with 5 little pumpkins. The kind you would use to decorate.

6 years ago someone gave me a small adorable pumpkin, not as little as these.

I was hungry and pierced it just to the seed chamber, then threw it in the oven at 350° whole for as long as it took until it was cooked through and mushy tender.

I've wanted to experience that treat again, but had to wait 6 years.

These cuties are pretty small, but baked at 360° for an hour it was the same melt in the mouth wonderful experience.

I halved it when it was cooked, and scooped out the seeds, added salt and a lot of butter. YUMMY!

For dinner I'll have another serving of that delicious meat and spinach lasagna I made yesterday. Or, spaghetti with the rest of the meat and spaghetti sauce left over.

Oh boy! I still have 4 more baby pumpkins!!!

Mamma loves of doing this! I shall buy her of these!

I made of the nice sausage balls and put these into Joyce's nice sauce for spaghetti. We had spaghetti and a nice salad and the homemade garlic and cheese breads. Uncle Nicu will become home tomorrow but we must wait upon his diet and foods.

~Cat

I'm sad to hear that Taxi. Can you share why it was disappointing? I was really looking forward to a good report.
That's really hard to say. I was trying to do a Danish fusion sort of thing. Danes make a "løvemad" (lion food) open faced sandwich. I have enjoyed that on rugbrød (heavy all rye bread), but maybe it was the German bread that's just a little different. The Danish one is a slice of the bread, lettuce, the meat, an egg yoke in an onion ring or two, capers, freshly grated horseradish, and maybe some chopped beets. I put the meat on our plates. I put out the grated horseradish, chopped shallots, capers, lettuce, hot sauce, Worcestershire, a jar of grated beets and horseradish (which had more heat and horseradish flavour than the fresh stuff), raw egg yoke, homemade mayo, and seedy and smooth Dijon. We tried out different combinations and some were better than others, but none of it "popped".

I'll try it again, but I'll use wheat bread toast (I've had it that way in bars in Denmark and it was more interesting, than ours was). Maybe the rye bread overwhelmed it. Another time, I'll also try following that recipe you linked to. This will take some experimenting. ;)

Lots of recipes said not to use a food processor for the meat. A few said to partially freeze the meat and cut it into small chunks before carefully using the food processor. All the Danish recipes said to scrape the meat or use a meat grinder and make sure the disc and blade are very sharp.

Back
Top Bottom