'Tis the season... for soup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know where to get oxtails, but I do have a leftover prime rib of beef roast, which ought to make a good soup,ya?

..........so many great seasoning, flavoring ideas in here!

Now I need to ask, but not sarcastic or anything.....do you mean that you are putting 15 beans into the soup, or 15 types of bean? ( cuz I don't think I can even name that many types.....)

15 types of beans, it usually includes barley, lentils and split peas of various colors. Very good soup!

I've been living off this soup for the last week or so. Made it twice so far and have been having it for breakfast. It's delicious!

Taj Mahal Soup

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 med onion, peeled and minced
1 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed and drained
3/4 lb. yellow squash or zuchini, thinly sliced
1 10-oz pkg. frozen spinach, partially thawed
4 cups chicken broth
1 1-oz can whole tomatoes
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (optional. I did not include chicken this time)
In a large, heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic and cook until soft, 3-5 minutes. Add cumin, turmeric, coriander, and cayenne and stir to blend. Add lentils, squash, spinach, chicken broth, and tomatoes and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 50 minutes. Add chicken, if desired, and heat thoroughly.

Although 4 cups of stock is no where near enough. I finished all my home made chicken stock on it too... wahh... need to make more.

Last edited:
I've been living off this soup for the last week or so. Made it twice so far and have been having it for breakfast. It's delicious!

Taj Mahal Soup

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 med onion, peeled and minced
1 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed and drained
3/4 lb. yellow squash or zuchini, thinly sliced
1 10-oz pkg. frozen spinach, partially thawed
4 cups chicken broth
1 1-oz can whole tomatoes
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (optional. I did not include chicken this time)
In a large, heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic and cook until soft, 3-5 minutes. Add cumin, turmeric, coriander, and cayenne and stir to blend. Add lentils, squash, spinach, chicken broth, and tomatoes and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 50 minutes. Add chicken, if desired, and heat thoroughly.

Although 4 cups of stock is no where near enough. I finished all my home made chicken stock on it too... wahh... need to make more.

You should create a new thread for this recipe...:pig:

Zhizara said:
I'm starting a pot of 15 bean soup today. It's 68° so it's definitely soup weather.

Lol! This cracked me up Zhizara! "68" here is Summer! I do love bean soup though, the one we make is 13 Bean Soup and it was always the star of our Ski Holidays. Great for warming you up at lunch time!

Lol! This cracked me up Zhizara! "68" here is Summer!

Now yer crackin me up!

When it gets down to 68F here, all the locals start putting on sweaters and jackets. The tourists here on vacation look at us like we're nuts and we look at them running around in shorts and T-Shirts like thier nuts. :ROFLMAO:

It was 67F in the house last night and I had a blanet on me while I watched TV. That's dern near freezin!

If it was 67 in my house here, I'd be turning the heat on... or the air conditioning off. One of the two, lol.

I eat inside mostly, so have never let outside temperature influence what I am hungry for. That said, I do notice I make more mashed potatoes and gravy in the colder months. Maybe it's my internal thermostat telling me that my body will warm too much digesting all that if I eat it when it's 90F out and then walk outside.

37 degrees last night, I turned the thermostat up to 60. By 5 am I was sweating my, you know what, off...and kicked off all the covers.

PrincessFiona: ok, 15 types of beans....?!!! so how many cups of beans might that be in the soup? (and thanks to you, I'm starting this week going out looking for as many types of beans as I can find....I especially like the Mideast market for this, or an East Indian groceteria).

I often make dals for a Buddhist monastery nearby. Not very good at dal yet, but I keep trying. I've noticed that different types of yellow lentils cook up differently: some to mush very quickly, others stay firmer.

PrincessFiona: ok, 15 types of beans....?!!! so how many cups of beans might that be in the soup? (and thanks to you, I'm starting this week going out looking for as many types of beans as I can find....I especially like the Mideast market for this, or an East Indian groceteria).

I often make dals for a Buddhist monastery nearby. Not very good at dal yet, but I keep trying. I've noticed that different types of yellow lentils cook up differently: some to mush very quickly, others stay firmer.

I don't know, I have my mixture and I just measure them out. If I was mixing my own beans, I would get about a pound of each each at the bulk food store and mix them. Then I would use 2 cups of the mixed beans to make my soup. Most often I just pick up an already mixed package of 15 bean soup, about 2 pounds worth.

I made Uncle Bob's Chicken thigh stew the other night and it was really good with southwestern seasonings.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I don't know, I have my mixture and I just measure them out. If I was mixing my own beans, I would get about a pound of each each at the bulk food store and mix them. Then I would use 2 cups of the mixed beans to make my soup. Most often I just pick up an already mixed package of 15 bean soup, about 2 pounds worth.

I get the premix too. All the beans cook up together, and you don't recognize one from another. They don't hold their shape, just meld into a nice pot of beaniness.

Lol! This cracked me up Zhizara! "68" here is Summer! I do love bean soup though, the one we make is 13 Bean Soup and it was always the star of our Ski Holidays. Great for warming you up at lunch time!

Actually it ended up being 16 bean soup. I had used the last can of stewed tomatoes and mixed it with green beans. As I needed stewed tomatoes for the beans, I just added the leftover mix mixture. It came out wonderful. Partly from the really rich stock and the kielbasa slices added at the last minute (just to heat through).

I envy you your cool summer! That was the first day it actually felt a little cool. Summer was brutal this year.

I make soups year round. If I/we want it I make. I don't live by the calender or let it dictate what I eat. If it's 67F I usually have windows open and fans on or the A/C on if it's also humid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom