"To Heck with it" Tuesday, July 16.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I headed out to the kitchen to put on a pot of water for mac salad. While I was waiting for the water to boil, I noticed a couple of tomatoes I had. So I sliced one up and made a tomato sandwich. I ate the whole thing. Bread and all. I don't like bread. I must have been hungry or my taste buds are changing again. Now I know that foods we hated as kids, we rediscovered as adults and visa versa. But I should be past that now. But I am too old to be going through that now. :angel:

I headed out to the kitchen to put on a pot of water for mac salad. While I was waiting for the water to boil, I noticed a couple of tomatoes I had. So I sliced one up and made a tomato sandwich. I ate the whole thing. Bread and all. I don't like bread. I must have been hungry or my taste buds are changing again. Now I know that foods we hated as kids, we rediscovered as adults and visa versa. But I should be past that now. But I am too old to be going through that now. :angel:

A tomato and bread sandwich? Come on, there must have been something else in there - some mayo, or butter or some kind of spread?

Decided it was too hot to grill, so I nuked the corn on the cob in husks, and wowzer, was it good!

A tomato and bread sandwich? Come on, there must have been something else in there - some mayo, or butter or some kind of spread?

I bought a jar of the new Hidden Valley sandwich spread with parm cheese. I used it very sparingly. :angel:

I bought a jar of the new Hidden Valley sandwich spread with parm cheese. I used it very sparingly. :angel:

That hasn't reached British shores yet, (as far as I know), but I am very glad you enhanced your sandwich with it! Why sparingly though? Did you have an awful lot of sandwiches?

Love it. I am a Georgia boy and traveling on business this week in NY. They keep telling me it is hot up here. NOT. They give me a hard time about the cold, well its payback time. Pony up boys, act like men and take it. Went out to PF changs tonight. Nice lettuce wraps and a nice Cab to boot.

Last edited:
Roasted, shredded chicken on top of Bibb lettuce. Instead of dressing there was kalamata tapenade, crumbled feta (from my favorite little Middle Eastern deli) and a drizzle of olive oil. Scrumptious!

Tonight was a take-out night.

Our grandson and I had to pick up SO at the Honda dealer. She offered to treat us to dinner. I said I didn't feel up to a restaurant and how about take-out. SO and grandson chimed in that they could go out to a restaurant together and I could go home with take-out!! I guess if I can't keep up, I lose.

So I had pork lo mein and chicken wings take-out while SO and grandson ate at a restaurant. I really don't feel bad about missing the restaurant experience as they went to McDonalds.

Roasted, shredded chicken on top of Bibb lettuce. Instead of dressing there was kalamata tapenade, crumbled feta (from my favorite little Middle Eastern deli) and a drizzle of olive oil. Scrumptious!

Oh, that sounds so nice! (Never heard of Bibb lettuce though). What's that like?

Our grandson and I had to pick up SO at the Honda dealer. She offered to treat us to dinner. I said I didn't feel up to a restaurant and how about take-out. SO and grandson chimed in that they could go out to a restaurant together and I could go home with take-out!! I guess if I can't keep up, I lose.

So I had pork lo mein and chicken wings take-out while SO and grandson ate at a restaurant. I really don't feel bad about missing the restaurant experience as they went to McDonalds.

I haven't had a MaccyD's in months.... quarter pounder with cheese....

*drools*

(this is the wrong response, right?) :neutral:

That hasn't reached British shores yet, (as far as I know), but I am very glad you enhanced your sandwich with it! Why sparingly though? Did you have an awful lot of sandwiches?

No. I used it sparingly because I love tomatoes. And that is what I wanted to taste. I did taste some on a spoon. I love Hidden Valley dressings with the real buttermilk. I refuse to buy and so called Ranch Dressings that don't have it. So I save myself a lot of reading ingredients with just getting the HV. You can taste the buttermilk and the Parmesan. It has four different cheeses in it. Three are Italian and Cheddar. They are listed right after water and canola oil. Then the buttermilk. Farther down Cream Cheese is also listed. It also has diced pickles and some spices. I like it. I usually use mayo or butter for sandwiches. But I think this is going to be my new 'go to' for sandwiches. It is strong, so I won't be slathering it like I do with the mayo or butter.

I love the Hidden Valley dressings so much that living alone, I can get away with drinking it right out of the bottle. So I won't be surprised if I take a spoonful when I am making a sandwich for their new spread. They also have a spicy one, but I haven't tried that one yet. They also make a Farm Parmesan Dressing, but my store has only had it on the shelf once. The next time I see it on the shelf, I will be stocking up on it. That one is delicious. To date it is my favorite one. You can really taste and feel the Parmesan in it.

The full title of the spread is "Oven Roasted Garlic Parmesan Sandwich Spread and Dip". I give a definite "Two Thumbs Up." :angel:

:LOL: I think you came out the winner in that one. :angel:

Everything sounds so good. There was so much good fruit at the produce market that I made a fruit salad instead of potatoes. Good to see Steve doesn't make something epic every night :)

Oh, that sounds so nice! (Never heard of Bibb lettuce though). What's that like?

Bibb lettuce is a loose leaf lettuce. It has smallish smooth leaves rounded at the top and unlike Iceberg Lettuce, when you pick it you pick individual leaves. Or you cut them at the base. They aren't held together with a core. Think of a dark green baby's bib.

I used to eat them all the time just dipped in rice vinegar. :angel:

Why didn't I think of adding some crumbled feta. I have feta. Oh yeah, as I wrote in another thread, I cannot brain; I have the dumb.

We had organic "field greens". They come in a box. All I had to do was rinse them and spin them. I sliced up a bit of celery and red onion. Since there were a lot of "field greens" and I didn't know how much we would want, I made it a "salad bar" on the dining table: a bowl of "field greens", a bowl of tuna, a bowl of sliced celery, a plate of thinly sliced red onion, and a jar of capers with a fork in it, as well as a quick salad dressing (mayo, sour cream, cider vinegar, fish sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder. Yum.) A bowl of crumbled feta would have been perfect. Had it with an okay Spanish rose wine.

Why didn't I think of adding some crumbled feta. I have feta. Oh yeah, as I wrote in another thread, I cannot brain; I have the dumb.

We had organic "field greens". They come in a box. All I had to do was rinse them and spin them. I sliced up a bit of celery and red onion. Since there were a lot of "field greens" and I didn't know how much we would want, I made it a "salad bar" on the dining table: a bowl of "field greens", a bowl of tuna, a bowl of sliced celery, a plate of thinly sliced red onion, and a jar of capers with a fork in it, as well as a quick salad dressing (mayo, sour cream, cider vinegar, fish sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder. Yum.) A bowl of crumbled feta would have been perfect. Had it with an okay Spanish rose wine.

I love Feta. It's hopeless in a sandwich, and no good in anything where you need a good "melty" cheese, but it has great texture and a lovely salty flavour. It's perfect with a salad. :yum:

salina_small.JPG

Sometimes it's called Boston, or Butter, lettuce.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom