"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #31
Cook

Bertucci's sausage soup.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
This month will be "eat down" the freezer, so tonight's meal will be homemade marinara sauce, made in June, over pasta of some sort and a nice big tossed salad. It's still hot and the humidity is "blech," which means our appetites are still not up to speed.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
what's tomato water? we have a joke around here about tomato water, what's your version of it?

oh, no idea about dinner, still canning tomatoes...
Tomato Water is when you take some ripe tomatoes, cut them up, and then put them in a blender or food processor and liquefy them. Then, you line a colander with coffee filters or paper towels. Next, get a large bowl and place a wire rack on top of it. Put the lined colander on the rack so that it is over the bowl.

Now, pour the liquefied tomatoes into the colander and put the whole works in the fridge and let it sit over night. The juice slowly drains through the coffee filters and collects in the bowl beneath. And, believe it or not, it is clear! Looks like water, but taste strongly of tomatoes!

Really cool. I just learned about doing it the other day when I got so many tomatoes and had to figure out what to do with them.

Another plus to doing this is the pulp that is left over in the colander can be pressed through a sieve or run through a food mill to remove the seeds and skin leaving you with a really smooth and creamy tomato sauce or Tomato Coulis if you will. So, in deconstructing the tomato this way, you get two tomato products that you can use.

The tomato water can be used in all kinds of things including cocktails like a Bloody Mary or mixed with a shot of vodka.

The coulis is a great base for sauces.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #34
Senior Cook

I'm ready for some FOOTBALL!! - Saints and Colts could be a pretty good game. So it'll be pepperoni pizza and beer tonight!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:14 PM   #35
Senior Cook

woo! I'm with you MRSteak - yay for football :)

I made Indian food tonight, gobi palak w/chapati - translation: cauliflower and spinach with flat bread.

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Tomato Water is when you take some ripe tomatoes, cut them up, and then put them in a blender or food processor and liquefy them. Then, you line a colander with coffee filters or paper towels. Next, get a large bowl and place a wire rack on top of it. Put the lined colander on the rack so that it is over the bowl.

Now, pour the liquefied tomatoes into the colander and put the whole works in the fridge and let it sit over night. The juice slowly drains through the coffee filters and collects in the bowl beneath. And, believe it or not, it is clear! Looks like water, but taste strongly of tomatoes!

Really cool. I just learned about doing it the other day when I got so many tomatoes and had to figure out what to do with them.

Another plus to doing this is the pulp that is left over in the colander can be pressed through a sieve or run through a food mill to remove the seeds and skin leaving you with a really smooth and creamy tomato sauce or Tomato Coulis if you will. So, in deconstructing the tomato this way, you get two tomato products that you can use.

The tomato water can be used in all kinds of things including cocktails like a Bloody Mary or mixed with a shot of vodka.

The coulis is a great base for sauces.

neat, thanks...

I ended up making a western omelet for dinner, and had some leftover pizza.