What's for dinner on Thursday, 12-29-16?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
I have an old buddy coming over to see the new house and hang out for a bit, and my son is having a sleep over, so I plan on having a fun evening of cooking for everyone.
Since my friend is primarily a vegematarian (he'll eat fish now and again). I quickly decided on the menu.

First up are appys of salmon sashimi, seaweed salad, and veggie shu mai.

Then, I'm making my yakisoba stir fry again, with mixed mushrooms (shiitake, enoki, baby king oyster, shimeji, and some other mushrooms whose names were only written in Korean), tofu, and lots of veggies.

What's on your plate tonight?

Vegan chili; and started some pizza dough for this weekend to use up some tomato, mushroom, and prosciutto for New Years Eve!

In a little while we will be invaded by a pair of grandchildren, little girls. They're on their way from Lexington and most likely will have plenty of energy to burn off after 5 hours in the car.

Anticipating our flurry of activity, I've set the ingredients aside for country-fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy. We'll finish up some leftover Italian green beans and the rest of the speckled butter beans from last night as sides. Will probably polish off the last of the Christmas cookies we brought home from the festivities at Glenn's daughter's home on Christmas day.

I have been pickling a brisket. It is now time to turn it into corned beef. I have that cooking, to go with it, I am making a dark rye bread (that is proofing). Now to find a recipe for quick sauerkraut and it will be Reubens tonight. Otherwise, leftovers and Ruebens tomorrow night.

My parents are coming, decided to make my father favorite. Beef stew and latkes. But after they are fried they are put into stew and boiled for a while. Thus called wet latkes.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

A few days ago I baked 10 pounds of slbl chicken breasts to use this weekend. I froze most of them. Will have the unfrozen baked breasts, sweet potatoes and Spanish rice.

My dad gave us a box of Omaha Steaks for Christmas, so I'm making two steaks from there. I'm not sure what they are - I misplaced the list that came in the box and DH threw away the box because we don't have room for it in the freezer ;) - but they look kind of like trimmed New York Strip steaks. I'll also make some type of potatoes and green beans.

TB had GF spaghetti with meatballs and sauce.

I had my smoothie I didn't finish at breakfast! I am planning a chicken salad later.

Foul weather, just above freezing. Rain here, but they are getting snow inland. Comfort food tonight. Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts.

Dinner was a success, but while I was prepping everything the boys grew hungry and were getting rowdy, so I made some panko breaded butterflied shrimp to hold them over.

Inspirational and delicious sounding dinners here this evening! :yum:

Nothing much here, but it was good. Baked a couple of Costco breaded cod filets, and steamed some asparagus. Sprinkled fresh lemon juice on both, and had a slice of chocolate raspberry cake for dessert. :yum:

I have been pickling a brisket. It is now time to turn it into corned beef. I have that cooking, to go with it, I am making a dark rye bread (that is proofing). Now to find a recipe for quick sauerkraut and it will be Reubens tonight. Otherwise, leftovers and Ruebens tomorrow night.
My Dad got home from curling around 5:30 (I put Mom down for a "nap" at 3:30). He walks in the door and says to me "what's for supper?"

Me: "Ruebens and potato wedges, salad."
Dad: "Where did you get the corned beef?"
Me: "I bought a brisket at the base and it has been in an ice cream bucket pickling in the fridge for 3 weeks (don't know how he didn't notice it). I made it into corned beef today."
Dad: "You know how to do that?"
Me: "Duh!"
Dad: "We don't have any rye or pumpernickel bread."
Me: "Yes we do, I made some today."
Dad: "You know how to make that?"
Me: "Duh!"
Dad: "We don't have any sauerkraut."
Me: "Yes we do, I made some quick caramelized sauerkraut today."
Dad:"We don't have the dressing!"
Me: "Yes we do, I made that too."

Mom ate her whole sandwich (started with a half cut into quarters). Dad ate his and wanted another one. Did he like my homemade corned beef? Oh yeah, said it was better than store-bought. If I can find the cable for his camera, I got a cable for a pic of the bread. Finally nailed the recipe re: flavour and texture, next loaf, gotta work on the crust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom