"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Everymom

Weird Meals

Do you ever have one of those days where you don't feel like making any kind of meal? Tonight was one of those nights for us and I laughed at our choices. I thought I'd start a thread so that our weird meal choices could inspire everyone.

Tonight we were going to make pizza but none of us really felt like eating that. So we scrounged. We ended up with:

Bowl of brussel sprouts - tossed with garlic butter and some chiles
Cheesy/Salsa dip with multigrain chips
Hummus
Couple of tortillas and the last slice of deli turkey, salami, and pastrami got made into a quesadilla
Bag of peapods
Dessert was nutella on graham crackers for Bugs, ice cream for Ken. Nada for me yet. I'll think about that later.

Weird.

What kind of weird stuff do you throw together when you don't feel like cooking?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
What kind of weird stuff do you throw together when you don't feel like cooking?
uhh, nothing I'd want to post here
Heck, sometimes some of my planned meals befall critical scrutiny

Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Executive Chef

We do that frequently .. we call it leftovers. Nothing matches, most people would think it was gross, half of it is cold the other half hot and sometimes multiple plates are involved. But .. the fridge gets cleaned out so it's a good thing !
Old 03-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I never eat anything weird. I follow the Canadian Food Guide...not!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
Head Chef

My Dad has a regular meal of mushy peas and egg. That's weird who puts mushy peas and egg together ?

My Dad .
Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
Head Chef

We have "clean out the fridge" nights here, too. haha And some are way more successful than others. ;)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
Wine Guy

When we were kids, the old man one time put leftover sauerkraut on mashed potatoes. My brother and I decided to try it too. I liked it so much that, to this day, I continue to put cold sauerkraut on my mashed spuds instead of butter or gravy.

I don't usually cram weird things together for dinner, but I have been known to eat nuked leftovers for breakfast instead of making something from scratch. Leftover beans and rice is one of my favorite breakfasts.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
When we were kids, the old man one time put leftover sauerkraut on mashed potatoes. My brother and I decided to try it too. I liked it so much that, to this day, I continue to put cold sauerkraut on my mashed spuds instead of butter or gravy.

I don't usually cram weird things together for dinner, but I have been known to eat nuked leftovers for breakfast instead of making something from scratch. Leftover beans and rice is one of my favorite breakfasts.
I didn't realize that sauerkraut on mashed/baked potato was weird until you mentioned it, Steve. I do the same, but I add a splash of hot sauce on top of the sauerkraut after I've mashed the sauerkraut into the potatoes.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

steve, one dinner my wife makes that i love is kielbasi baked with kraut and onions, and a side of mashed potatoes. i eat the kielbasi separately, and the kraut gets mushed together with the mashed potatoes. yum.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Ice cold Boston Baked Beans. I keep the can in the fridge. I don't like them heated up. No ketchup, no doctoring, just plain right out of the can.

Tags
meals