What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, yesterday's 10 loaves of French bread brought my count up to 72, which gives me a little pad. Although, I imagine there'll be some last minute orders before Monday and Tuesday delivery days.

So, today I baked for............us.

I used my French bread recipe but instead of making two baguettes, I made one baguette and shaped the other portion of dough into a big round dome-shaped loaf. Slashed it as usual and washed it in egg white just like the baguette. Turned out lovely and, as Glenn mentioned, it will be great to slice for sandwiches.

It feels a little weird not doing my assembly line dough prep, etc. and the kitchen looks nearly naked without all the tools of the trade out on the counters.

Okay, yesterday's 10 loaves of French bread brought my count up to 72, which gives me a little pad. Although, I imagine there'll be some last minute orders before Monday and Tuesday delivery days...

Brava, Katie. That's a huge commitment of time and effort to benefit others.

debating about trying to make some bread, again. Three attempts so far but haven't been able to get any activity out of the yeast, no rising happening. Played with the water temp the last time and no luck. I am thinking I will try and get the yeast active and then continue, one bag of flour is just about gone in my attempts.

My mother could make yeast sing and dance, but I have never been successful with it.

debating about trying to make some bread, again. Three attempts so far but haven't been able to get any activity out of the yeast, no rising happening. Played with the water temp the last time and no luck. I am thinking I will try and get the yeast active and then continue, one bag of flour is just about gone in my attempts.

Keep trying. When you get it right it's a very satisfying feeling.

The only real issue with water temperature is if it's too hot. Room temp water works. It just takes a little longer for the yeast to bloom. What kind of yeast are you using? Yeast has an expiration date.

Keep trying. When you get it right it's a very satisfying feeling.

The only real issue with water temperature is if it's too hot. Room temp water works. It just takes a little longer for the yeast to bloom. What kind of yeast are you using? Yeast has an expiration date.
Used red star for first 3 attempts, tried flieshmans (spelling) today. Both just purchased and checked the dates and both had several months left. Today I did let the yeast bloom in warm water with a little sugar added, looked good but then as I was mixing I realized my next bag of flour was self-rising so I had a sloppy mix that wasn't going to be anything. But I left it be and it did rise so I counted it as a success. The water here is particularly nasty, may sneak up 'the hill' and get some from my parents since their water is some of the best anyone has had - almost sweet. More flour tomorrow and another attempt. This time I will be patient and wait for things to get active.

I've lived in many different areas and some of them had pretty icky water. As a result, I keep gallon bottles of spring water to use when I make yeast breads/rolls. I checked this week and see that Wal-Mart had gallon jugs of spring water for less than a dollar.

just finished baking 24 muffins for the nurses. Made cream cheese muffins with cut up dried apples, apricots, raisins in them hope they taste good.
Tomorrow brownies which I plan to cover one end with melted chocolate then put a lollypop stick in the other end so we can hold them as we eat them.
kades

Finally tried the 'no knead' method. Eight hours later I actually have a bowl of something that looks like I think it should. Going to do some errands and yhen we'll see what happens. Yahoo!!

The Pirate spend the night with me. I was thinking of baking a small pie for him. But he won't let me stand too long to do anything useful. I love being waited on hand and foot, but feel useless. I need to get into my kitchen so I can stand at my oven and bake. :angel:

Finally tried the 'no knead' method. Eight hours later I actually have a bowl of something that looks like I think it should. Going to do some errands and yhen we'll see what happens. Yahoo!!

You are making me want to try my hand at bread making, even though I should not be eating bread. We had nothing but home made bread growing up and my mother just had the knack of working with yeast. The only time it didn't turn out right is the time she forgot to put the salt in it. It was terrible, but we had to eat it. Now I make sure than I put out all my ingredients before I start baking, and put each one away as I use it. That way I can't get mixed up about what I've used or not used.

Since I seem to have a gazillion egg yolks left from using the whites to wash 72 loaves of French bread, I decided to make a pie.

Our dessert dome on the counter is empty and it looks lonesome. I just finished making Emeril's Best Ever Coconut Cream Pie. Holy cow! The custard was fabulous, then I added the vanilla (I use paste.) and the coconut. I darn near jumped into the bowl.

This pie doesn't require a meringue, which was perfect for using a bunch of the yolks. My sweetheart is going to be a very happy man when I serve dessert tonight.

My first successful loaf of bread is now on the cooling rack. The no knead definitely works, still feels a bit like cheating. I have read a few accounts of people who had gluten or wheat allergies that when going to more traditional baking styles have not had problems. Non-professional opinion is that a lot of the problems with bread come from production breads high yeast content and short fermentation. Apparently Europe doesn't have near the rate of gluten problems as we have in North America.

Hopefully 2 loaves of French bread in my double French/baguette pan I bought awhile ago but haven't tried yet.

I want to turn one loaf into garlic bread to go with lasagna tomorrow.

What will it be... to seed or not to seed. Is it better to open the sesame seeds or suffered the slings and arrows of a naked loaf?

Sorry lost it there.

Gotta go pick DD #1 up from work be back in a bit or I may wait till I pick up DD #2 from work (4 hours apart).

Last edited:
At the moment, SO is baking a chocolate cake for her baby boy who is coming for Thanksgiving with his new bride.

I got off easy this year, only 20 pumpkin breads and 2 date breads. Also will make up 10 pounds of cinnamon sugar cream cheese to go with the bread.

I'll probably make some stuffing bread later today.

Back
Top Bottom