Originally Posted by simonbaker
The ruhbarb custard pies are made from my mom's church group in Minnesota. They make them & sell them to be baked. Next week mom will be living with us for awhile after she gets out of the hospital. I will get the recipie to you next week if you like.
One of my roommates in grad school used to make a rhubarb custard pie. She was French so I had to translate her recipe. I have made this a few times since and it works:
2 pie crusts (top and bottom)
2-1/2 c rhubarb, chopped
1-1/2 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
a pinch of salt
2 T butter
1-2 T milk
1-2 tsp sugar
1. Mix all the ingredients, except the crusts, in the order given.
2. Pile the ingredients in the bottom crust.
3. Top with the 2nd crust.
4. Cut vents in the top crust.
5. Glaze with milk and a sprinkle of sugar.
6. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake for 40 minutes.
1. Put a cookie sheet on the rack below the pie to catch any drips.
2. Let cool before slicing (it is still best warm, but let it sit until warm--30-40 minutes).