What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DONE!
Check out this beauty...
fuq3xk.jpg

5l5i06.jpg

That looks fabulous, well done to your hubby SB :)

I saw a cry for help on Kijiji--family out of work, food bank doesn't have food, looking for eggs, milk, and bread. I've offered eggs and am baking a loaf of homemade wholewheat bread using my usual bread machine recipe. It's not much help, but I can do eggs and bread. I guess this would be my act of kindness for the week.

I saw a cry for help on Kijiji--family out of work, food bank doesn't have food, looking for eggs, milk, and bread. I've offered eggs and am baking a loaf of homemade wholewheat bread using my usual bread machine recipe. It's not much help, but I can do eggs and bread. I guess this would be my act of kindness for the week.

I can't stand the thought of children being hungry. It drives me up the wall. I can't even watch those commercials that you see for the Children's Fund on TV all the time. Today, I bought two boxes of cereal , a jar of PB and Marshmallow Fluff. Breakfast and lunch taken care of for some children. Just about everyone in this building knows I buy for the food bank each month. I spent less than $10 out of my food stamps. Yet in the six years I have lived here not one person has offered even a can of beans. Every year the post office has their drive to collect canned goods. Our mail person collects and leaves it all at our local food bank. It doesn't go into the huge one at the Boston Food Bank that supplies all the local ones. Nada. Not one can from this building.

I was curious as to why. So I started a conversation one day in the community room. I was horrified as to the reasons. As you know, I grew up in this community and I think I was the only non-Italian.

Some of what I heard.

"I'm not going to feed them. Let them get a job."

"Nobody fed us Italians when we were growing up."

"Every since 'they' started to move into this town, everything is dirty. They don't know what clean is."

"I refuse to encourage them to stay here."

"They shouldn't have so many kids to feed."

On that one I reminded them that the majority of them are Catholic and the church teaches them not to practice birth control. I am the only protestant in the building.

Get the drift? They forget that their parents and grandparents were the immigrants that settled this community into an Italian neighborhood. They would rather see a child go hungry than accept change. It was determined last year that "we" are now the minority in this community. Like the Italians of yesteryear, the Spanish are now the majority members of this town. And that is how it should be. Just feed the children please. No matter what nationality. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just baked some oatmeal muffins with some peach yogurt that was about to expire. They're delicious! I'll post the recipe and if I can figure out my silly camera I'll take pix.

Back
Top Bottom