What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation - addie and bethzaring having the same breed of dog? I guess you have both discussed this in the pets section.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Re: pumpkin cake. I had a recipe for this (using baked pumpkin that was then pureed/blended) and it was quite bland, even the 2nd time with amendments (e.g. orange zest and spices).

Today I had a slice of pumpkin cake (from a famous cafe chain) and found it disappointing also. My tastebuds are not the best but, when I have carrot cake, at least I usually can detect the carrot.

Anyone got a tasty pumpkin cake recipe?

Actually, Teddy is not my dog. He belongs to my son Spike. But every night at 6:30 Spike shows up here with Teddy. I have to get my Teddy fix each day. I absolutely love this dog. Spike is kind enough to share Teddy with me.

I would love to have a dog of my own. But I am unable to walk the dog. I would have to do it while riding my scooter very slow. And in the winter, I don't take the scooter out at all once the snow comes. :angel:

High altitude cooking varies depending on what you are cooking. Bread is particularly sensitive to altitude, and cakes even more so.

Also important is the dfiference between baking in an electric oven vs. baking in a gas oven, because the combustion of gas releases water vapor and naturally increases the humidity of the oven as a result. The usual compensation is that electric oven users can add a pan of water perhaps at a lower shelf in their oven to add humidity to replace the humidity that burning natural gas releases.

In any case if you live above a few thousand feet altitude (above 1000 meters) you are getting into the area where you should give some thought to the effects of altitude, depending on what you are cooking.

Andy, yes, please, share the ganache recepy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Andy, yes, please, share the ganache recepy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

56 Gr Butter (2 Oz)
70 Gr Dark Chocolate (2½ Oz)
60 ml Light Corn Syrup (¼ C)

Melt the butter in a microwavable bowl.

Add in the chocolate and corn syrup and whisk until smooth.

Pour it over the cooled cake.

High altitude cooking varies depending on what you are cooking. Bread is particularly sensitive to altitude, and cakes even more so.

Also important is the dfiference between baking in an electric oven vs. baking in a gas oven, because the combustion of gas releases water vapor and naturally increases the humidity of the oven as a result. The usual compensation is that electric oven users can add a pan of water perhaps at a lower shelf in their oven to add humidity to replace the humidity that burning natural gas releases.

In any case if you live above a few thousand feet altitude (above 1000 meters) you are getting into the area where you should give some thought to the effects of altitude, depending on what you are cooking.

Thank you all for your explanation of high altitude baking and cooking. I knew all of this (except for the gas vs. electric ovens), but didn't take the time to explain it as well as the rest of you. Whether high altitude or sea level, this has not been one of my better days. :angel:

Couple of whole wheat bricks.....not so bad, actually. I like dense bread. I subbed a cup of bran in there for roughage...
zJrMk5t.jpg

Thanks PF. I also posted that photo to Facebook. Took our son barely anytime to comment: "Mail one!" :LOL: I told him I'd make one instead when we are home for Christmas.

I have a nice recipe for rock cakes with apple in them that I have tried. Baking them again tonight (mostly to use up wholemeal flour slightly past its best) and trying it with honey instead of brown sugar (I don't bake with white sugar).

okay

I will be really interested in how this cake turns out

First, I do not know why I chose to ignore my carefully hand written in note of "Use splatter guard on Mixer!".

Second, the texture of the batter was really weird, almost like taffy. As I went to lick the beaters, I realized I have left out the sugar. I had not put in one grain of the 1 3/4 cups of sugar.

So I get the cake out of the oven, back into the mixer bowl, add in the sugar, wash out the Bundt pan, and re-grease and flour the pan. I was amazed at the change in texture of the cake batter with the addition of sugar. It actually poured into the cake pan, not scraped in thick strands.

It is back in the oven.

I hesitate to say I am baking a pound cake today:wacko:.

It will make for an interesting result beth. My Mom had made some sort of no-fail cupcakes when I was a kid. All you had to do was stir the ingredients one by one in the order they were listed. She forgot the sugar, started to put batter into the paper cupcake liner in the pan, and then noticed the sugar was still on the table. Did what you did with putting batter back into bowl and adding sugar. Every one of those cupcakes had a cone-shaped hollow in the bottom of the cupcake when you peeled the paper off! And yes, they felt like little pound cakes. At least they were still tasty, so you should have that!

I have a nice recipe for rock cakes with apple in them that I have tried. Baking them again tonight (mostly to use up wholemeal flour slightly past its best) and trying it with honey instead of brown sugar (I don't bake with white sugar).

what are rock cakes? i've heard of rock soup, but never cakes before. are they like hard tack?

okay

First, I do not know why I chose to ignore my carefully hand written in note of "Use splatter guard on Mixer!".

Second, the texture of the batter was really weird, almost like taffy. As I went to lick the beaters, I realized I have left out the sugar. I had not put in one grain of the 1 3/4 cups of sugar.

So I get the cake out of the oven, back into the mixer bowl, add in the sugar, wash out the Bundt pan, and re-grease and flour the pan. I was amazed at the change in texture of the cake batter with the addition of sugar. It actually poured into the cake pan, not scraped in thick strands.

It is back in the oven.

you did remove the beaters or at least unplugged it when you licked the beaters?

don't ask me how i know to do that, beff tharing...

what are rock cakes? i've heard of rock soup, but never cakes before. are they like hard tack?

you did remove the beaters or at least unplugged it when you licked the beaters?

don't ask me how i know to do that, beff tharing...

So if she doesn't ask, then I will. Please do tell. Inquiring minds want to know. :angel:

Rock cakes are little cakes with dried fruit in free form (i.e. not in tins/cases). I used apple, chopped figs and dried apricots. They have a crunchy exterior whilst remaining soft inside. (Unfortunately my decision to use honey instead of sugar meant that they softened completely today, no crunch factor!)

BBC - Food - Recipes : Rock cakes

Mine actually looked nicer than in this link - i.e. more brown, crispy round edges.

Rock cakes are little cakes with dried fruit in free form (i.e. not in tins/cases). I used apple, chopped figs and dried apricots. They have a crunchy exterior whilst remaining soft inside. (Unfortunately my decision to use honey instead of sugar meant that they softened completely today, no crunch factor!)

BBC - Food - Recipes : Rock cakes

Mine actually looked nicer than in this link - i.e. more brown, crispy round edges.

Yes, honey along with other syrup type ingredients are humectants, they keep things moist by pulling moisture from the air. It's great to add to things that you want to keep moist in storage.

Yes bakechef...I did know that but somehow forgot. Maybe they would have been soft the next day anyway though since they contained fresh apple? Not sure - best eaten same day really.

okay

It is back in the oven.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Actually that is a very interesting lesson we should all consider: the effect of sugar on our baking recipes.

It must be very important to have such a profound effect on the texture. Where is that Ratio guy when we need him?

My claim to fame is my focaccia. There is always some sugar or honey in my focaccia, to act as an accelerant for the yeast.

Last edited:
In for a penny, in for a pound. Actually that is a very interesting lesson we should all consider: the effect of sugar on our baking recipes.

It must be very important to have such a profound effect on the texture. Where is that Ratio guy when we need him?

My claim to fame is my focaccia. There is always some sugar or honey in my focaccia, to act as an accelerant for the yeast.

Someone else has done this experiment, with leavening agents as well :)

http://www.handletheheat.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom