"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #281
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You expected "thin and crispy" Andy? That's not how I think of, or remember Snickerdooles. For me the perfect ones are not thin, crispy only on the outside, but chewy on the inside. I used the recipe with only shortening, no butter.
OMG....I'm actually talking about baking.
It looks like we have finally corrupted you. Welcome to the Baking Club of DC.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #282
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
/

bakechef, were they thick or thin (see my earlier post)?
The first recipe that I used was from an old Betty Crocker binder cookbook that belonged to my grandmother. The cookies from that recipe and others that I've made over the years look like the ones in the Betty Crocker link that you provided. I've never made any that were puffy.

http://bakingbetter.com
Old 08-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #283
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The first recipe that I used was from an old Betty Crocker binder cookbook that belonged to my grandmother. The cookies from that recipe and others that I've made over the years look like the ones in the Betty Crocker link that you provided. I've never made any that were puffy.
Do you think switching to all butter instead of half butter and half shortening will give me that flatter result?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #284
Master Chef

You're right Addie.......I'm now corrupted with far more calories than I need.

Andy I hesitate to ask if your ingredient amounts were correct. That comes from the dunce of all bakers who quit baking years ago because of screw ups!!!
I've never seen Snickerdoodles so puffy, and I use all shortening.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #285
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Do you think switching to all butter instead of half butter and half shortening will give me that flatter result?
All butter will definitely give you a flatter result. Also be very careful measuring the flour, remember to fluff up the flour, scoop lightly into the cup and level off.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #286
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
All butter will definitely give you a flatter result. Also be very careful measuring the flour, remember to fluff up the flour, scoop lightly into the cup and level off.
Thanks. That's exactly what I do.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #287
Certified Pretend Chef

Just finishing up a batch of Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies (with raisins and nuts). The best oatmeal cookie recipe ever.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #288
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Here is the wedding cake that I made for our friend's wedding yesterday. She wanted a cherry blossom themed cake. I purchased the flowers.

Now I remember why I don't make wedding cakes. I just don't have the nerves for it. I obsessed about it and was a wreck until it was delivered and on the table, and even then I kept looking. Some of the flowers did shift a bit, but nobody seemed to notice, I thought that they were secured. Rob drove us to the venue that was only a few miles from our house, but didn't realize how much momentum that he was generating taking off and turning at the same time. The cake suffered a bit of damage, but I had a "crash kit" and a few extra flowers so I was able to fix it.

I hope nobody else asks me to make a wedding cake. I did this as a gift for the bride and groom.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #289
Chef Extraordinaire

It's beautiful, bakechef. I can imagine how nerve-racking that must have been, but I'm sure no one but you noticed any flaws

btw, have you moved? I thought you and Rob lived in South Carolina.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #290
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's beautiful, bakechef. I can imagine how nerve-racking that must have been, but I'm sure no one but you noticed any flaws

btw, have you moved? I thought you and Rob lived in South Carolina.
Nope, we live in NC, I've been here for 18 years!

I'm just glad that she didn't want fondant, I would have probably would have been in a corner rocking back and fouth,

Closed Thread

Tags
baking