What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight is our weekly dessert night with friends and it is my turn to bring dessert. I just finished making a batch of sweet dough pastry for a pear tart. I always have so much pastry leftover and put it in the freezer and forget it so I decided I will make a chocolate tart AND an apple tart. I will take the chocolate and pear tarts, that way everyone can have a choice and I might even be able to bring some home to our border, and a friend just had chemo yesterday so I will drop the apple tart off for her family . I am also hoping to get some cookies made as well.

Where do you find the silver? I cannot find silver or gold anywhere.....

Meesho, I am blessed to have a wonderful baking supply store in the next town over, where DH's parents live...about a 1/2 hour or so drive. I get everything there. The silver and gold powders are real and edible and costly, but will last a long time. If you have a place near you that sells Wilton products they might have it, or I can PM you some mail order sites tomorrow.

My kids liked the cottage cheese concaction, I made last week, so much I baked three more loafs today. Of course I had to made them personolised and individual. One with nothing for my oldest daugter. One with rasins for mu middle daughter, one with chocolate chips for my yongest daughter. My wife will share the chocolate chip one. My son and I will have to grab whatever leftovers there are, because we like everything. Can't wait to get home to have some.

I don't know if this qualifies as baking, but I did make a dozen flour tortillas this morning and cooked them on the cast iron griddle in the middle of my wonderful Mexican stove. They are flaky, thin, tender and browned just right. Yum - yes, I made them with lard. Getting ready to make our lunch now - quesadillas with chicken and manchego cheese and fresh salsa verde.

Meesho, I am blessed to have a wonderful baking supply store in the next town over, where DH's parents live...about a 1/2 hour or so drive. I get everything there. The silver and gold powders are real and edible and costly, but will last a long time. If you have a place near you that sells Wilton products they might have it, or I can PM you some mail order sites tomorrow.

Oh, please send me the sites...I'm in NJ and have gone to Wal-mart, AC Moore, Michaels, and none of them carry it, but they carry wiltons. On top of it, I even looked for the little silver balls (brain fart for what they are called at the moment), and they don't have those either. I need them to make a wedding cake in a few weeks.

Made two strawberry pies and some french bread for Sunday's dinner..

kadesma

Mixed up two batches of NYT bread last evening. Will pop them in the oven sometime this morning before church. Might try making bagles today if DW wants them. It's rainy today, so we might just veg out instead of working.

Joe

I don't know if this qualifies as baking, but I did make a dozen flour tortillas this morning and cooked them on the cast iron griddle in the middle of my wonderful Mexican stove. They are flaky, thin, tender and browned just right. Yum - yes, I made them with lard. Getting ready to make our lunch now - quesadillas with chicken and manchego cheese and fresh salsa verde.

OMG, Karen, that sounds absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

I'll be right down! What can I bring you from Boston? :)

Lee

DH made a batch of apple pie cookies to take to scouts tonight and i took some to work with me....

Meesho, I will gladly PM you the sites you can get the silver and gold powder and dragees (the little balls). Is there any chance I could get the recipe for these cookies?

I'm baking a loaf of Quick Cheese Bread from the Cook's Illustrated site this morning. I'm sure this recipe is copyrighted, so I won't post the recipe. Not sure if it's one of their free recipes, or if you have to be a web member to get it. The link wouldn't post, so I guess you would have to go to cooksillustrated dot com and search for "Quick Cheese Bread." I'll let you know if it's worth it.
I've never made it before, but it looks beautiful in the oven...we'll see.

Also taking advantage of the hot oven by making our dinner - an egg, cheese and zucchini bake that will be good with some fresh fruit for our Sunday supper. Have to get baking done before noon this time of year - getting HOT and humid.

Qsis, the tortillas were really good and so easy to make. And they're great quartered and fried for dipping.

Last edited:
Katie, I have never made bagels, and I've been wanting to...guess I'll have to get brave and give it a try. But it's your birthday - you shouldn't have to bake. Of course, if you're like me, you probably WANT to bake.

After I took that cheese bread out of the oven and tasted it, I decided I had to share it with you all. I rewrote the recipe and since I also changed it a bit, I'm hoping this will pass muster:

Quick Two-cheese Bread

Preheat your oven to 350F.

First, grate 3 ounces of Parmesan cheese (about 1 cup). Spray your 9 X 5 loaf pan with cooking spray and scatter half of the cheese on the bottom.

Next, combine dry ingredients and whisk them together:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 TBS baking powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper

Gently fold in one cup of sharp cheddar cheese, cut into ½ inch dice. Make sure all the pieces of cheese are coated with flour.

Now, for your wet ingredients:

Lightly whisk one egg. Add to 1 and ¼ cups whole milk, ¾ cup sour cream and 3 TBS melted butter. Whisk it all together.

Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Don’t over mix.

Pour batter into pan (it is thick) and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup Parmesan over the top.

Bake for 45-50 minutes.

Turn out of pan after cooling for 5 minutes and wait about 45 minutes to slice it. This would be good with dry onion, bacon, sun dried tomatoes, lots of other goodies added. I'll have to begin experimenting!

NYTimes Dough is almost ready to put in oven.
Also, I made a lemon buttermilk pound cake which we'll have with strawberries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom