"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
Cook

I have the same problem: I want to cook more and more, and for more and more people, but we can't throw dinner parties every night (sadly :-P)My solution is to get a job in a restaurant kitchen, but of course I'm still working on that :-PFor now, I tend to just start cooking something that takes a long time. I'm fond of making Brown Stock according the Escoffier, which takes him a good 8-10 hours :-)Mike

Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i share my garden with my neighbors, but they all cook more than we do, and it's us on the recieving more often than not. besides, there's huge communication problems, so negotiations or explanations over just about anything are difficult at best.

one of my neighbors is turkish, and is always careful to remind us that they don't eat pork or pork products, so they are wary of the things we offer their kids.
don't all americans eat pork rinds and ham hocks twice a day?
so far, fruit and cheese has been ok.
i laughed when they checked the ingredients of a lemonade pouch. yup, there it is: lemon flavored swine extract!

then there's the macedonians. no matter what i've given them, they tell me how it is made far better in macedonia. that gets really tiring, so i don't bother anymore. the wife next door does bake a lot, so we get a lot of breads and cakes from her. there's not much that we can offer them (certainly not as good as it could be gotten in macedonia ), so it's been a weird relationship.

then, there's the poles across the street, but they keep to themselves for the most part. and the little old couple next to them often refuse our help out of little old people's pride. whatcha gonna do?

unfortunately, the best i can do is out-produce all of them in my garden and then force my veggies on them.

my english becomes very bad when they try to refuse
mwahahahaaaa!

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
Executive Chef

This is a really interesting question, suzie. Do you belong to any women's groups? Or PTA? Or take any classes with other women? During the years I cooked really badly, I would often barter sewing or tile work or sheet rock repair or babysitting for home made meals. It was always with women I knew - never strangers or Craig's list or something like that. It worked out great for me. So if you know any women who can't or don't like to cook, who don't have time to cook during the week, who's kitchen's are being renovated, etc. - approach them and and see if they want to barter some services.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
This is a really interesting question, suzie. Do you belong to any women's groups? Or PTA? Or take any classes with other women? During the years I cooked really badly, I would often barter sewing or tile work or sheet rock repair or babysitting for home made meals. It was always with women I knew - never strangers or Craig's list or something like that. It worked out great for me. So if you know any women who can't or don't like to cook, who don't have time to cook during the week, who's kitchen's are being renovated, etc. - approach them and and see if they want to barter some services.
Nah, I dont do anything! Sounds horrible doesn't it?
I'm so ridiculously shy I don't join classes and stuff, I just teach myself from what I can find online and at the library.
And every time I try to do something by myself, even go to works 2 days a week, I feel like I'm doing a disservice to my kids by not being home with them.... even if it's Dad they are home with!
Wow I sound like a big loser.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #15
Master Chef

Hey I always need some help, when I am helping others, you are welcome to share my load, or take the load of my shoulders, whatever the saying.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Hey I always need some help, when I am helping others, you are welcome to share my load, or take the load of my shoulders, whatever the saying.
Hey, you're both in MN - sounds like Charlie needs a sous chef
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Nah, I dont do anything! Sounds horrible doesn't it?
I'm so ridiculously shy I don't join classes and stuff, I just teach myself from what I can find online and at the library.
And every time I try to do something by myself, even go to works 2 days a week, I feel like I'm doing a disservice to my kids by not being home with them.... even if it's Dad they are home with!
Wow I sound like a big loser.
No, no, you sound like you have my life! I'm not shy but I homeschool my kids so I am always with them. The only groups of women I see are at homeschool park day, La Leche League, etc. All kid centered stuff. Let friends and family know you'd like to do some cooking in exchange for whatever you have a need for. If you are a good baker, you'd be surprised at how many people would love to get a home baked cake or other goodies for an office party or a church pot luck or a birthday party. (The good thing about bartering is that you don't need a health certificate for commercial cooking.)
Old 03-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
(The good thing about bartering is that you don't need a health certificate for commercial cooking.)

LOL I looked at this REALLY FAST and thought it said bartending!!!

Hmmm theres an idea. It's kinda like cooking, with liquids!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Hey, bartending could be fun if we are the only customers!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I'd love to Charlie!!
Maybe you should be the one I trade babysitting with!!!!!