What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well my roommate was feeling down and I needed a way to cheer her up. So, I decided to make French Toast with sweet Hawaiian bread. It came out good, something simple and fast to make. Even though we both used "light" maple syrup, on our toast, what kind of brand I should buy?

ForumRunner_20130424_113224.jpg

Well my roommate was feeling down and I needed a way to cheer her up. So, I decided to make French Toast with sweet Hawaiian bread. It came out good, something simple and fast to make. Even though we both used "light" maple syrup, on our toast, what kind of brand I should buy?

View attachment 17753

lovely, jr, just the thing for flagging spirits. i bet she felt immediately better.:) (lovely dish, too) btw. re maple syrups, i'm very partial to pure maple syrups, though i used to keep some of the thick, commercial stuff on hand too, for most everyone else. if by chance you do happen to like pure maple syrup too, though, i've got just the thing: 'maple grove farms, low calorie, sugar free maple syrup'--30 cal. per 1/4 cup, and it is virtually indistinguishable from the pure maple syrup! honest, no joke....:)

I had a big piece of warm cornbread with butter and honey on it this morning.

J-river, do you deliver? ;) Looks yummy. Your roommate is one lucky duck. The Kings Hawaiian bread was probably very rich and tasty. I'm particularly fond of using a nice, rich Challah bread for French toast.

....if by chance you do happen to like pure maple syrup too, though, i've got just the thing: 'maple grove farms, low calorie, sugar free maple syrup'--30 cal. per 1/4 cup, and it is virtually indistinguishable from the pure maple syrup! honest, no joke....:)
Seriously, it's that good vit? Himself is diabetic but he still cheats and has real syrup. We love the real stuff and would rather do without pancakes or waffles than use imitation. However, when we were back home in OH I made baked French toast for brunch one Sunday (love that our daughter now has a rental with an extra bedroom - we stay with her and I get to cook for my kids when we visit :)) and didn't want to spend the big bucks on real stuff so we got a bottle of "Vermont Maid" sugar free. We all declared it acceptable. I'll have to try the "great".

J-river, do you deliver? ;) Looks yummy. Your roommate is one lucky duck. The Kings Hawaiian bread was probably very rich and tasty. I'm particularly fond of using a nice, rich Challah bread for French toast.

Seriously, it's that good vit? Himself is diabetic but he still cheats and has real syrup. We love the real stuff and would rather do without pancakes or waffles than use imitation. However, when we were back home in OH I made baked French toast for brunch one Sunday (love that our daughter now has a rental with an extra bedroom - we stay with her and I get to cook for my kids when we visit :)) and didn't want to spend the big bucks on real stuff so we got a bottle of "Vermont Maid" sugar free. We all declared it acceptable. I'll have to try the "great".

yup, cg, it's good stuff. i wouldn't steer you wrong about breakfast syrup, would i?.:LOL: maple grove farms is located in vermont, btw, if that means anything....:)

... maple grove farms is located in vermont, btw, if that means anything....:)

Vermont, Massachusetts, Ohio. They're all good! I must say, though, that as someone who was raised on OH syrup I prefer it best. We did a side-by-side with some local syrup and some we brought back from OH and thought the OH tasted more maple-y. Plus, even though the % of sugar is the same the OH tasted less sweet, just more flavorful. Must be my Buckeye tastebuds. :LOL:

Vermont, Massachusetts, Ohio. They're all good! I must say, though, that as someone who was raised on OH syrup I prefer it best. We did a side-by-side with some local syrup and some we brought back from OH and thought the OH tasted more maple-y. Plus, even though the % of sugar is the same the OH tasted less sweet, just more flavorful. Must be my Buckeye tastebuds. :LOL:
I prefer syrup that I buy from Ohio. I buy 2-3 quarts per year and use a fair amount for BBQs.

View attachment 17753

What a lovely thought and it looks great!

At 10:30AM, Sopressata on a 9 ounce loaf of home-baked Italian bread, garnished with roasted sweet red peppers and hot red pepper flakes

your yummy breakfast fare inspired my lunch selection, jpb.:) a few thick slices of pain de compagne from my favorite c-ville bakery, the flour garden, together with this unbeLEEVable chunk of old world style 'calabrese salame'--a very dear, but rare treat (made with sangiovese wine) swoon....:yum:

your yummy breakfast fare inspired my lunch selection, jpb.:) a few thick slices of pain de compagne from my favorite c-ville bakery, the flour garden, together with this unbeLEEVable chunk of old world style 'calabrese salame'--a very dear, but rare treat (made with sangiovese wine) swoon....:yum:
Glad to hear good stuff is available in your area.
This AM we'll be having 1/2 a flagel bagel each and 2 eggs sunnyside fried in butter.

I had half a Reuben sandwich left over from supper last night. That and two pickles - breakfast! I did have to do a fasting blood test today, so by the time I ate it we were in afternoon.

Jeff, we call potato chips in the packet chips too, like you guys do...and yes the Brits call them crisps...Steve is calling them that all the time :LOL:

The oat crisps cereal is called that as it has crispy bits of almonds on the oat flakes and oat cluster and almond flakes, all very tasty :)

UNCLE-TOBYCS-oat-crisp-almond-LARGE.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Kylie,

I don't know why I'm so fascinated by "geographic thesaurisisms" (laughing, I made that one up).

British:

biscuit noun [C] (FLAT CAKE) /ˈbɪs.kɪt/ UK (US cookie)

Definition: a small, flat cake that is dry and usually sweet: chocolate/ginger biscuits a packet of biscuits We had tea and biscuits at half past three.

American:

ForumRunner_20130427_004909.jpg

Back
Top Bottom