What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what I am going to say. Where is the protein? :angel:

There are 5 gm protein in 1 cup of Raisin Bran and 8 gm of protein in 1 cup of milk to put on the cereal. I didn't know that before, but I googled it after you asked your question. Not a lot of protein, but more than I expected.

There are 5 gm protein in 1 cup of Raisin Bran and 8 gm of protein in 1 cup of milk to put on the cereal. I didn't know that before, but I googled it after you asked your question. Not a lot of protein, but more than I expected.
One egg has only slightly more protein than that. However, Raisin Bran has 18-19 mg of sugar. The AHA recommends woman consume no more than 20 mg of sugar/day. So that one serving of raisin bran contains the recommended amount of sugar for the whole DAY. An egg contains no sugar so one would be farther ahead having two eggs for breakfast (or one egg and a glass of milk) instead of raisin bran.

One egg has only slightly more protein than that. However, Raisin Bran has 18-19 mg of sugar. The AHA recommends woman consume no more than 20 mg of sugar/day. So that one serving of raisin bran contains the recommended amount of sugar for the whole DAY. An egg contains no sugar so one would be farther ahead having two eggs for breakfast (or one egg and a glass of milk) instead of raisin bran.

I am definately an egg eater for breakfast, and also at other times of the day, but there are some people who don't like eggs or avoid them because of cholesterol. In that case, I think Raisin Bran with milk is a relatively good choice and much better than some other things I see people eating, like doughnuts! The eggs and milk would not provide any fiber and I think the fiber in the bran cereal is a big factor, but I do understand your point about the sugar.

I didn't have any donuts, so had to go with the eggs ;)
Breakfast was quick, as I already had the diced potatoes, onions and pepper from the other night's ripper toppings, so all I had to do was add a couple pieces of bacon, warm the veggies up once the bacon got going and add a couple eggs.

Attachments

• breakfast2.jpg
    breakfast2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 197
She uses coffee creamer. Not enough protein to give her the energy she needs through the day, and certainly not enough to keep her from picking, picking, and never feeling full and satisfied. She knows she needs protein with every meal. Even she has noticed the difference it makes in her day. :angel:

I meant milk on the cereal.

I meant milk on the cereal.

I was responding to her post of just a muffin and coffee for breakfast. We have been through her need for protein in each meal. I want her to succeed and lose the weight. She has been doing so good. Her setback came with her surgery. It caused her, due to her doctor's instructions, to get off track. With vacations, family reunions, and other events, she has been struggling to get back on track and stay there. Presently SimonBaker seems to be on a plateau. The hardest part of any diet. I am hoping that her numbers take a big dip real soon to help her get back on track. Nothing like the loss of five pounds or even more between weigh-ins to get back your resolve. :angel:

Today I had a very large Ranchero Omelette. It was so good and I am sooo full. I wish I had taken a picture to share. Maybe next time. My daughter had formula and cereal. I can't wait until she can eat solids. I feel bad sometimes when I eat really good food and she has to drink formula. (Which I once tasted out of curiosity) Idk how babies drink that. It must be good to them, I guess.

I am definately an egg eater for breakfast, and also at other times of the day, but there are some people who don't like eggs or avoid them because of cholesterol. In that case, I think Raisin Bran with milk is a relatively good choice and much better than some other things I see people eating, like doughnuts! The eggs and milk would not provide any fiber and I think the fiber in the bran cereal is a big factor, but I do understand your point about the sugar.
I think the scientific evidence is clear that eating cholesterol does not cause high blood cholesterol. It's not that simple.

I was responding to her post of just a muffin and coffee for breakfast. We have been through her need for protein in each meal. I want her to succeed and lose the weight. She has been doing so good. Her setback came with her surgery. It caused her, due to her doctor's instructions, to get off track. With vacations, family reunions, and other events, she has been struggling to get back on track and stay there. Presently SimonBaker seems to be on a plateau. The hardest part of any diet. I am hoping that her numbers take a big dip real soon to help her get back on track. Nothing like the loss of five pounds or even more between weigh-ins to get back your resolve. :angel:

No, you were responding to her post of raisin bran and coffee. Look earlier in the thread for this:

raisin bran & coffee

You know what I am going to say. Where is the protein? :angel:

All right, y'all are gonna love this. They are having a banana festival at our port because that's where most of the bananas are imported. They're having a recipe contest and I am developing three unique recipes to submit: Banana Split Pancakes, Bananas Foster Bundt Cake, and Banana Daiquiri Cupcakes.

On Thursday I took my griddle and spatula to work (we have two full kitchens, one on each floor) and made everyone banana split pancakes. Each plate had a banana cut in half lengthwise. On these banana slices were three Silver Dollar pancakes with 1% (by weight) Amoretti Banana Split Extract in the batter; one pancake had pineapple tidbits and was covered in Amoretti Pineapple syrup, the center pancake had chocolate chips and was covered in Amoretti Crema di Dark Chocolate syrup, and the third pancake had strawberry bits and was covered in Amoretti Strawberry Syrup. Each pancake was then topped with a dollop of whipped cream and the center dollop had a maraschino cherry sitting on top. Everyone enjoyed their breakfast!

I'll be attempting the bananas foster bundt cake this evening and taking it to the office tomorrow and the Banana Daiquiri Cupcakes later in the week, but that's for future What Are You Baking Today threads.

It sure is nice to have an office full of Guinea pigs!

Last edited:
Sir Loin, did you win?? That sounds amazing!

This morning, I foraged for breakfast. I had some Triscuits topped with Havarti cheese and some leftover cooked chicken dipped in tzatziki.

Sir Loin, did you win?? That sounds amazing!

Well, so far I have only won the hearts and minds of the office staff. The contest isn't until 26 September. I'll let my Guinea pigs sample all three items and vote to decide which should be summited, unless Amoretti wants to come up with the $25.00 entry fee for each entry. You get a Banana Festival t-shirt for entering, which might be worth 25 bucks, but it's definitely not worth 75 bucks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom