What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's my breakfast for today:

You had icons for breakfast, cj? :huh: I don't know if anyone else sees your photos, but the images don't show on my laptop.

Yoghurt again - this time with fresh cherries. I can see this being my breakfast whenever it's a warm day. :yum:

I buy yeast in bulk and needed to find out the measurement for one packet of yeast. 1 Packet = 2 1/4 tsp of yeast. So two packets would be 41/2 tsp.

.Just thought you would like to know.
Guess you didn't bother clicking on the recipe Addie? 2 1/4 tsp per packet - yup, that's exactly what the linked recipe had. Guess they already had that base covered...

I've been doing two Carl's Jr. Double Jalapeño cheeseburgers every morning lately. Yummy.

However, I am going back to a wheat free diet in the next few days, so will need to find something else to have.

You'd think my whimoy stomach would do flips eating those, but I have had absolutely no stomach issues since I've been eating them. Maybe it's the jalapeños.

Last edited:
I've been doing two Carl's Jr. Double Jalapeño cheeseburgers every morning lately. Yummy.

However, I am going back to a wheat free diet in the next few days, so will need to find something else to have.

You'd think my whimoy stomach would do flips eating those, but I have had absolutely no stomach issues since I've been eating them. Maybe it's the jalapeños.

Try oatmeal.

I see them now Cindi.

I'm making savory steel cut oats, cooked with chicken stock, onions, garlic, chopped chipotle and smoked sausage with a basted egg on top.

Not my mama's oatmeal. :)

Last edited:
The conversion measurements are printed on the jar. It even has the weight, in case the baker is measuring that way.
I buy mine in 1# bags from the Amish bulk store. They don't have conversion charts. However, if someone is going to bake that bread, they'll see the measurement right as soon as they look at the ingredients list. I suppose most recipes are that way.

I see them now Cindi.

I'm making savory steel cut oats, cooked with chicken stock, onions, garlic, chopped chipotle and smoked sausage with a basted egg on top.

Not my mama's oatmeal. :)

That sounds interesting. I've been wanting to try steel-cut oatmeal, heard it's easier on the blood sugar than regular oatmeal. Any opinion one way or another for that?

That sounds interesting. I've been wanting to try steel-cut oatmeal, heard it's easier on the blood sugar than regular oatmeal. Any opinion one way or another for that?

Livestrong.com has a page comparing the two. In part it says,
Glycemic Index

Steel-cut oats are made by cutting whole oat groats two or three times. The cut pieces of groats are neither steamed nor rolled. Since they do not go through this process, they are more intact than thick-rolled or instant oats. This causes steel-cut oats to have more surface area, which slows digestion. A larger surface area causes the stomach to work longer to break down steel-cut oats. The glycemic index, a measurement of the rise in blood sugar, is only 42 for steel-cut oats compared with 66 for instant oatmeal.
Don't claim to fully understand all that but I can testify that they taste a lot better and have a tooth to them. I'd not made them savory before but will on a regular basis from now on. Having acquired a taste for my own cooking, I don't claim to be a reliable critic on the subject, but damn! those were good.

Don't claim to fully understand all that but I can testify that they taste a lot better and have a tooth to them. I'd not made them savory before but will on a regular basis from now on. Having acquired a taste for my own cooking, I don't claim to be a reliable critic on the subject, but damn! those were good.

It means there is more insoluble (it doesn't dissolve) fiber in the steel cut oats. More fiber means less effect on your blood sugar.

40 grams of rolled oats is 1/2 cup.
40 grams of steel cut oats is 1/4 cup.
By weight, total, soluble, and insoluble fiber are the same according to Nutrition Facts on the two boxes in front of me.
Livestrong says the difference in Glycemic Index is due to a larger surface area of the steel cut process, which makes sense to me.
Cooked, steel cut oats is kind of like the texture of creamy rice. Some say it is like risotto, particularly apt I think with savory oats.

Anyway, I like steel cut better due to flavor and texture. Wouldn't bother with the longer cooking time otherwise.

Last edited:
skilletlicker, do you make your cut oats one serving at a time? I'll make four servings at once, divide into three covered dishes and a bowl for that day's serving. So much quicker to nuke up a serving each day, rather than wait and cook-cook-cook each day. I've not tried the overnight soak method. Not sure I want to, either.

Cherries in the house? Yup, so breakfast was some cut up into Greek Yoghurt. I also toasted half of a whole grain bagel.

Back
Top Bottom