"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #4801
Chef Extraordinaire

I kind of went overboard on the kale today. I have curly, purple, and dino. So....since I'm trying to come up with a "green" side to go with the German pork tenderloin and potato pancakes recipes I'm testing this week...I stemmed (is that a word--for removing the stems?) the purple and dino kale, cut it in skinny ribbons, wilted it in GOOSE fat and tossed in some roasted sliced almonds, dried cranberries, a bit of smoked paprika, garlic, and dressed it with a vinaigrette using apple cider, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, and maple syrup. That was yummy. But then, I had to do something else. Since I had made rice of the prairies, I drained some of that and "popped" it in a hot skillet with GOOSE fat, took some warm kale, red onion, and dressed that with the same vinaigrette but I added a smidge of Dijon mustard. I massaged that in to the lightly cooked kale and then topped it with the popped grass of the prairies. OMG, I am addicted to popped grass of the prairies in a kale "salad" topped with a poached egg.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #4802
Master Chef

Zucchini pancakes with some sour cream. Not healthy at all, but oh my did it tasted good, mmmmm

Old 11-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #4803
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Zucchini pancakes with some sour cream. Not healthy at all, but oh my did it tasted good, mmmmm
I love zucchini fritters/pancakes. I cut back on the guilt factor by eating them topped with fresh salsa.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #4804
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Attachment 22166

I smoke Trout fillets (and Salmon) for my Dear Husband
and serve it with Heirloom Tomatoes
TJ's Whole Wheat Italian bread, lightly toasted no butter please
and scrambled eggs

That's what's for Sunday Brunch this week
(I'm just having the toast and eggs, allergic dontcha-know)
I'm coming to your house for breakfast. That looks so good.

My blood sugar was in the low-normal range this morning, so I treated myself to some whole wheat toast with butter and blueberry jelly. A couple of gently poached eggs with breakfast sausage links round out breakfast. I poach the eggs in hot, not boiliing or even simmering water. The water is salted so as to season the eggs. They come out so tender and tasty that way, with the soft-runny yolk taking the star roll.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #4805
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I'm coming to your house for breakfast. That looks so good.

My blood sugar was in the low-normal range this morning, so I treated myself to some whole wheat toast with butter and blueberry jelly. A couple of gently poached eggs with breakfast sausage links round out breakfast. I poach the eggs in hot, not boiliing or even simmering water. The water is salted so as to season the eggs. They come out so tender and tasty that way, with the soft-runny yolk taking the star roll.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I love a good runny yolk, poached, soft boiled, over easy, I don't care... but they don't like me any more. For some reason, I get the worst stomach ache of my life if I eat eggs that are not scrambled or hard cooked.
When I was young, single and lived alone, I ate alot of eggs with steamed white rice... it's a cheap and friendly.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #4806
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I love a good runny yolk, poached, soft boiled, over easy, I don't care... but they don't like me any more. For some reason, I get the worst stomach ache of my life if I eat eggs that are not scrambled or hard cooked.
When I was young, single and lived alone, I ate alot of eggs with steamed white rice... it's a cheap and friendly.
Don't know your idea of what the next life will be like. But I believe we will have perfected bodies, in their prime. And I have no idea what we will use to keep up our energy levels, but if those bodies are like these bodies, they have teeth. And if we have teeth, I would assume that we will eat something. And with perfect bodies, no allergies, not stomach or intestinal issues, no diabetes, or other diet related problems either. I think we will know how to make wonderful food that is good for us, and that won't cause obesity, or other problems. We will learn how to moderate, and truly enjoy life, and understand the things that are truly important, while discarding those that seem important here, but really aren't.

You just might get to eat eggs with runny yolks again.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #4807
Head Chef

I remember hearing or reading something about runny yolks and folks of certain ages, that we, I mean, some folks shouldn't eat them any longer, something about it making you sick? Immune systems or something of the sort, my mind fails me at times
Old 11-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #4808
Head Chef

DH is going a Fall League Baseball game with his buddies today,
so I made a cheat large-ish breakfast of
Pillsbury pop`n fresh Cinnabon Cinnamon rolls
BACON
Fresh Arizona grown cantalope
scambled eggs
juice and coffee (green tea for moi)

this way maybe he won't have too many hot dogs at the ball park
yeah right, like that's gonna happen
Old 11-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #4809
Head Chef

Leftovers from a previous recipe (it called for deseeded tomatoes and some anchovies), so.....I had anchovies on toast with some tomato pulpy seeds! Refreshing combo!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #4810
Wine Guy

Had leftover fish and Brussels sprouts from Monday night's dinner, followed by coffee (with cream), and a multivitamin.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt