What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
after watching master chef tonight, my wife and son have callenged me to bring home a dozen eggs in the morning and make them a delicious sunny side up egg (easy), an exquisite poached egg (pretty easy), and a perfect soft boiled egg (not so easy).

did i sound like chef ramsay? lol. :chef:

i'll need help with the soft boiled, so i think i'll start a thread.

the rest will be hard boiled and made into devilled eggs since the boy and i love them so much.

I disagree with Chief--I think this is the fist time--start with room-temp eggs. If you are working with farm-fresh eggs, they don't peel until after they are cured. The reason is that the eggs you buy at the store are older and will have that "pocket" of air that we don't see with farm-fresh eggs because they have dried out. To make hard-boiled eggs or deviled eggs, you should cure the farm-fresh eggs for 2-3 weeks if you want them to behave like store eggs. Or there are tricks to peeling them--I add a LOT of salt and vinegar to the water when I'm cooking them, drain and cover with ice water, thump the eggs against the pan and then then submerge the cracked eggs again in ice water, peel. They still don't peel perfectly.

This is how I do my soft-boiled eggs:
How to Make a Soft Boiled Egg: 7 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

I like the yolk runny. I am not an eggxpert, but I do eat a lot of eggs.

Last edited:
I disagree with Chief--I think this is the fist time--start with room-temp eggs. If you are working with farm-fresh eggs, they don't peel until after they are cured. The reason is that the eggs you buy at the store are older and will have that "pocket" of air that we don't see with farm-fresh eggs because they have dried out. To make hard-boiled eggs or deviled eggs, you should cure the farm-fresh eggs for 2-3 weeks if you want them to behave like store eggs. Or there are tricks to peeling them--I add a LOT of salt and vinegar to the water when I'm cooking them, drain and cover with ice water, thump the eggs against the pan and then then submerge the cracked eggs again in ice water, peel. They still don't peel perfectly.

This is how I do my soft-boiled eggs:
How to Make a Soft Boiled Egg: 7 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

I like the yolk runny. I am not an eggxpert, but I do eat a lot of eggs.
So I had 2 soft-boiled eggs, steamed kale with chickpeas, and a side of quinoa.

after watching master chef tonight, my wife and son have callenged me to bring home a dozen eggs in the morning and make them a delicious sunny side up egg (easy), an exquisite poached egg (pretty easy), and a perfect soft boiled egg (not so easy).

did i sound like chef ramsay? lol. :chef:

i'll need help with the soft boiled, so i think i'll start a thread.

the rest will be hard boiled and made into devilled eggs since the boy and i love them so much.

I make my soft boil eggs different from CWS. I bring eggs to a boil, shut heat off and let stand in hot water with cover on for twenty minutes. That gives me time to do some other task while I am waiting. Always comes out soft and runny yolk. :yum:

I forgot to add. For hardboiled eggs, I let them sit in the hot water for 30 minutes. I never get that ugly green sulphur ring around the yolk. That turns me off immediately.

I've been thinking about trying the oven method for eggs, looks like an interesting concept.

Right now I cook them just like addie does, perfect every time with no funky ring.

I love eggs any way they're prepared, just love 'em. I would eat them every day if not for health reasons.

Breakfast this morning was a cup of pomegranite greek yogurt, a handful of cherries again :) and a slice of wheat toast. Yummy.

I love eggs any way they're prepared, just love 'em. I would eat them every day if not for health reasons.

Breakfast this morning was a cup of pomegranite greek yogurt, a handful of cherries again :) and a slice of wheat toast. Yummy.
Eggs have gotten a bad rap--the cholesterol in eggs is dietary, not serum. If you don't eat a high-fat diet, eating eggs almost every day is okay. Eggs are the perfect source of protein and are used as the "gold standard" to determine protein in other foods.

Hello everyone!

I usually don't eat breakfast on weekdays but this morning I managed to have toast with avacado seasoned with salt and pepper.

And on weekends I get spoiled with egg and bacon roll with baked beans YUM!

- Melissa

Eggs have gotten a bad rap--the cholesterol in eggs is dietary, not serum. If you don't eat a high-fat diet, eating eggs almost every day is okay. Eggs are the perfect source of protein and are used as the "gold standard" to determine protein in other foods.

That's good info, CWS. Thank you. That's a big thing with me, the protein - I go somewhat long stretches without meat and feel eggs are giving me the protein I need. Not that I have anything against meats, chicken, fish, etc. at all, it's just that in the warmer months I find myself filling up on lots of fruits and veggies.

I did have a couple of HB eggs tonight for dinner, along with some cold salmon, so that was pretty good! :)

Hello everyone!

I usually don't eat breakfast on weekdays but this morning I managed to have toast with avacado seasoned with salt and pepper.

And on weekends I get spoiled with egg and bacon roll with baked beans YUM!

- Melissa
Welcome to DC. Breakfast is the meal not to skip. I'm wearing my skinny jeans thanks to eating breakfast this month.

That's good info, CWS. Thank you. That's a big thing with me, the protein - I go somewhat long stretches without meat and feel eggs are giving me the protein I need. Not that I have anything against meats, chicken, fish, etc. at all, it's just that in the warmer months I find myself filling up on lots of fruits and veggies.

I did have a couple of HB eggs tonight for dinner, along with some cold salmon, so that was pretty good! :)
Good for you! I am a protein addict--love protein, and farm-fresh eggs are my favorite!!

Fresh Mango and Strawberry juice prepared by me and an Espresso on Ice afterwards. Naia, her two kids and I shall have our Mediterranean 11.30am snack; an iced espresso with a Bite ...

Have lovely day,
Ciao, Margi

Eggs, grains, and greens. The brain supposedly has an issue processing liquid in the morning--so even though a smoothie for breakfast sounds good, the brain doesn't process it as food. And, supposedly one needs grains with greens. It has been working for me--I'm full and as a bonus, I've lost weight. I didn't need to lose weight--but I won't argue with that side affect.

I think coddled eggs, pickled eggs, and shirred eggs should be added!

When I was a kid, there was a barroom near my home. They used to have a gallon jug at each end of the bar filled with pickled eggs. Ten Cents each. I was their best customer. I have recipe and made some about a year ago. Time to make them again. :yum::yum:

I had 2 slices of homemade honey wheat, toasted, with pbj & a cup of coffee with vanilla/hazelnut coffee creamer in it.

Back
Top Bottom