What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two cups of coffee. I'm saving myself for lunch.

I challenge you! :) I submit that the first meal of the day is by definition "breakfast." It is derived from the Middle English verb "break" plus "fast," it is the meal you first take in the day in breaking your overnight fast (imposed because most of us find it difficult to eat while sleeping, ignoring purported side effects of sleep inducing drugs such as Ambien.)

So if you have your first meal in the early afternoon I believe you could call it breakfast.

But what to do if you eat only one meal a day? Is it breakfast? Brunch? Lunch? Supper? Dinner?

Did you know that some snakes eat only every week or two? Or that snakes have two separate lower jaws that operate in a kind of alternating ratcheting action to drag their prey down their gullet? (For that matter male snakes have two sexual organs called hemipenes but we probably don't want to go there. ;)

Snakes have been found dead after trying to eat too large a prey, because once they get that ratchet going they have no way to release the prey. In other words snakes have no regurgitation mechanism. Once that hooked conveyer belt of dual alternating half jaws gets going if they can't fit it through their head and into their digestive system, they die.

BTW snakes also have a skull design that can expand to allow the passage of large prey down their gullet.

I very rarely eat breakfast. But if I get carried away and eat early in the day, it is always a couple of scrambled eggs. Here it is after ten p.m., and I haven't eaten at all so far today. I keep looking in the fridge and nothing appeals to me. The Pirate made himself a big bowl of Ramen Noodles with butter. Sounds good. I am contemplating some for myself. When I went shopping, I bought it by the box. Much cheaper than just get four or five. And they will be gone by the end of the month. :angel:

I very rarely eat breakfast. But if I get carried away and eat early in the day, it is always a couple of scrambled eggs. Here it is after ten p.m., and I haven't eaten at all so far today. I keep looking in the fridge and nothing appeals to me. The Pirate made himself a big bowl of Ramen Noodles with butter. Sounds good. I am contemplating some for myself. When I went shopping, I bought it by the box. Much cheaper than just get four or five. And they will be gone by the end of the month. :angel:

Addie, I don't mean to be a buttinski, but aren't you diabetic? Is that wise to go without eating for so long? I have a couple of friends with diabetes, and they need to (and do) eat little bits of something throughout the day between meals to balance their sugars. And those Ramen Noodles are loaded with sodium...
Please take care of yourself. :wub:

1 1/2 egg omelet with onion gravy and champ potatoes made into potato pancakes. Using up leftovers from our Bangers and Mash from Last Night.

Addie, I don't mean to be a buttinski, but aren't you diabetic? Is that wise to go without eating for so long? I have a couple of friends with diabetes, and they need to (and do) eat little bits of something throughout the day between meals to balance their sugars. And those Ramen Noodles are loaded with sodium...
Please take care of yourself. :wub:

I had part of my stomach removed and in the process they severed the nerve that tells you that you are hungry. So I never get hungry. My diabetes is under control, even though I am not on any medication. I do it strictly by diet.

I don't use the packet of seasoning with the Ramen Noodles. I add some garlic and onion powder along with butter. I can honestly say salt is not on my list of favorite seasonings. I never reach for the salt shaker once the food is on my plate.

Thank you for caring. :angel:

TJ's kinda morning

015.jpg

Breakfast this am:

Trader Joe's Aebleskiver dusted in powdered sugar and dippers of:

Homemade Raspberry Jam
(and here's where we go crazy away from tradition)
Homemade Orange Marmalade
Homemade Blackberry Jam
Homemade Meyer Lemon Marmalade
Apple Butter Syrup
Coconut Syrup
(I make sugarfree jams and jellies for my Mom and of course I have to try them, be sure that they're okay don'tcha know ;) )

and a Trader Joe's Herb Garlic Chicken Sausage
Green Tea for moi and V8 for DH; we shared a large fresh orange
:yum:

I have been finishing the seafood chowder I made Sunday. I'm going to miss it...best seafood chowder I've ever made (the secret was in the stock). When I stop at the fishmonger's tonight, I'll have to see if he has any fish parts for me...

I have been finishing the seafood chowder I made Sunday. I'm going to miss it...best seafood chowder I've ever made (the secret was in the stock). When I stop at the fishmonger's tonight, I'll have to see if he has any fish parts for me...

My fishmonger said I could give him a call and ask him to put some fish trimmings aside for me. Might be better to call and give him a heads-up that you'll be coming by.

Tomorrow I was going to have lox and bagel, cream cheese and onion when I realized some stupid idiot forgot to buy cream cheese.

Maybe after enough coffee I will see the need for a banzai run to the local supermarket tomorrow morning.

This morning I had scrambled eggs mixed with chopped red and green bells, and onions. Toasted rye, and a glass of milk.

I recall having had spam fritters....coating them in batter preserved their juiciness.

Today I had goose rillette (a divine, savoury pate) on organic spelt/grain toast co-starring a softly boiled egg with 'soldiers'.

Kgirl, I'd love some of that smoked trout. :yum:

I had a skillet breakfast this morning - scrambled eggs with leftover jasmine rice and chopped pork shoulder from the other night. Toasted Milton's multi-grain bread with apricot pineapple jam, and coffee. Yummy.

Back
Top Bottom