What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kylie1969 said:
Jeff, do you make your own enchilada sauce...if so, could you please share your recipe?

Hi Kylie,

I'm partial to green chile.

Here's the recipe I use (not my own)

Green Enchilada Sauce With Hatch, New Mexico Chili

Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups New Mexico green chilies

4 garlic cloves

1 medium yellow onion

2 cups chicken stock

1/2 cup chopped tomato

1 teaspoon ground cumin

2 teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon canola oil

1 tablespoon flour

Directions:

"Roast and peel the chilies, reserving the peels, stems and seeds. I like to use a food mill for this. After pealing the chilies, chop them up and add to the food mill with a medium plate. Reserve the seeds.

Add the reserved seeds, stems and peels to the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for ~ 20 minutes to infuse with the chili flavor and heat. Strain out the seeds and stems.

Chop the onion and garlic and sweat (add 1 tsp salt here) over medium heat for ~10 minutes, until soft. Pulse the onions in a blender a couple of times (or use the food mill if you have it out already) until slightly smooth but still a little chunky.

If you are doing the chopped tomatoes yourself, blanch the tomatoes for a couple of minutes in boiling water, transfer to ice water bath, peel and chop (or use the food mill again).

In a saucepan, heat the oil, add the flour and stir for a minute or so to form a roux. The roux should get to a golden brown. Add the stock to the pan and whisk to prevent any clumps of flour. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, and simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid has reduced by half, about 30 minutes or so. Taste halfway through and add salt to taste.

It's ready to serve, but I like to let it cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. This allows the flavors to come together."

My neice & her husband were in town & I made chicken stir fry with rice & rice noodles.

I made asparagus, dandelion, and Hen of the Woods mushroom soup yesterday. We finished it today. Good stuff.

Shrek took me to Asahi, the Japanese Restaurant I had lunch at the other day. He had Seafood Fried Rice off the Chinese menu, it had shrimp, scallops and crab...almost 2 pounds of fried rice on that plate! He also ordered the vegetable Gyozas, they came in spinach pasta and were quite tasty with Ponzu sauce. I had Miso Soup, house salad with ginger dressing and Beef Negimaki with teriyaki sauce and white rice. I was only able to eat half of the Negimaki.

My next trip there, I'm going to get brave and have some sushi rolls and maybe even some sashimi. I was introduced to the Sushi Chef, very nice and talented young man.

Thank you so much Jeff :)

Hi Kylie,

I'm partial to green chile.

Here's the recipe I use (not my own)

Green Enchilada Sauce With Hatch, New Mexico Chili

Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups New Mexico green chilies

4 garlic cloves

1 medium yellow onion

2 cups chicken stock

1/2 cup chopped tomato

1 teaspoon ground cumin

2 teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon canola oil

1 tablespoon flour

Directions:

"Roast and peel the chilies, reserving the peels, stems and seeds. I like to use a food mill for this. After pealing the chilies, chop them up and add to the food mill with a medium plate. Reserve the seeds.

Add the reserved seeds, stems and peels to the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for ~ 20 minutes to infuse with the chili flavor and heat. Strain out the seeds and stems.

Chop the onion and garlic and sweat (add 1 tsp salt here) over medium heat for ~10 minutes, until soft. Pulse the onions in a blender a couple of times (or use the food mill if you have it out already) until slightly smooth but still a little chunky.

If you are doing the chopped tomatoes yourself, blanch the tomatoes for a couple of minutes in boiling water, transfer to ice water bath, peel and chop (or use the food mill again).

In a saucepan, heat the oil, add the flour and stir for a minute or so to form a roux. The roux should get to a golden brown. Add the stock to the pan and whisk to prevent any clumps of flour. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, and simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid has reduced by half, about 30 minutes or so. Taste halfway through and add salt to taste.

It's ready to serve, but I like to let it cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. This allows the flavors to come together."

I had some scones at mums not long ago so I will just be having either a bowl of cereal or some toast for lunch

my first ever--turkish kofte, delish! they were red lentil and bulgar koftes,(vegetarian), wrapped in greenleaf. they were so good, i'm ready to google a recipe and make some of these for myself....:)

I went to a little dive on fourth street and had Baja style sirloin soft tacos with salsa fresca, crema, pickled onions a squeeze of lemon and a dash of salt.

Spanish rice and whole pintos on the side.

I wanted a frosty Negra Modelo with lima y sal but I was working today so I had a Coke.

Had our Nurses Week Luncheon today. BBQ Pork Ribs, Corn Muffin with butter, Asparagus, a weird potato dish that wasn't that good and Lemon Meringue Pie. Water...

Back
Top Bottom