What would you make out of these ingredients?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mamboboy

Assistant Cook
My mum is always moaning about how she's gone off food, but I keep telling her it's because she doesn't 'expand her palette', and isn't willing to try anything new.
She sticks to traditional 'boring' english food like stews, pie's, chips, etc..all having a very 'dull' taste
I've managed to ween her onto things like red/yellow peppers, which she sturnly used to reject eating, same goes for things like spring onions, sweet chilli sauce (which she thought would be hot), hoi sin, etc.

So today whilst I was out I picked up some ingredients that i'll chuck together today

Anyways, I picked up the following:

2 Duck legs
Bak Choi
Baby Spinach leaves
Sugar spap peas
Coriander
Plum Sauce
Beatsprouts
Medium Egg Noodles
Sesame Oil

Then theres the obvious things in the cupboard here like soy sauce, oyster sauce, etc.

So shoot...what could I make out of those things?

Last edited:
Looks like you have a lot of asian flavors and ingredients in your list. Make some sort of an asian stir fry. Here is what I would make it.

Marinate the duck with some soy sauce, grated ginger - if you have it and some sweet chili sauce and a 1/4 tsp of sesame oil). Let it marinate for an hour. Steam it or bake it in the oven until it tender. Let it cool and then shredd the meat from the legs, discard the skin. Reserve the shredded meat.

Boil the egg noodles and drain them.

Make a sauce - 1 tbsp of cornstarch, 1 tbsp of sweet chili sauce, 2 tbsp of oyster sauce, 2 tsp of soy, 1 tbsp of sugar, 1 tsp of sesame oil and 1 tbsp of water. Stir to ensure cornstarch is dissolved.

Wash the bok choy and chop it roughly and reserve.

In a pan add some vegetable or any other oil (not sesame, it's too strong). Add some freshly chopped garlic and sugar snap peas, also add some carrots (roughly chopped if you have them), Add the bok choy, handful of spinach and bean sprouts along with the sauce. Cook all of this on high for a minute until the sauce is nice and bubbly, throw in some freshly chopped cilantro and the shredded duck meat.

Place some egg noodles on a plate, put a healthy heaping of the stir fried duck and veggies along with the sauce and viola you have a great meal.

Thanks for the very fast response. Sounds very simple so it should be a breeze...again, thankyou

well darn that is screaming some sort of either stir fry, or slow braised asian style dish....

But you picked those up for a reason, what were your intentions?

Looks like you are inspired by southern asian cooking!! I also discovered their cuisine not long ago and became quite fond of them!!
I suggest, if you get a chance next time try some tamarind paste, crunchy dried prawns, rice sticks (vermicelli made with rice flour), basmati or jasmine rice... all very versatile and with a little research (or ask here!) make delicious dishes!
Also being from England, do you happen to like Indian dishes? Well, lucky you, Yakuta is an expert on Indian cooking, she can answer just about any question on that matter!!;)

Back
Top Bottom