"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #21
Executive Chef

You don't have to make anything spectacular, just fix your favorite meal, or your best dish.

Some groups that I belong to, have done just that. Pick a place and everyone who can shows up for a weekend of fellowship and food. The bbq guys call them Q-fest. They have had them in Ga, Tx, Fl and Mo. It is great fun.

Maybe we could plan one for the summer.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #22
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Well, I"d have to make y'all some lowcountry favorites - Shrimp and Grits, or maybe Shrimp Perlow, Fried green tomatoes, butter beans, with some ham and cheese biscuits; and peach ice cream for dessert!

Marm, when can I come?!

I'm not sure what I'd make either. I was thinking maybe a huge pot of Frogmore stew, wild rice, cole slaw, & cheddar garlic biscuits. It's a great summer time meal but it's good on a cold winter night too. Dessert, I just have no clue about.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Yumm - I haven't had Frogmore in years - maybe we'd have to do a combined dinner!
Old 10-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #24
Executive Chef

I just envisioned a picture of all the DC members getting together to cook a meal together. Remember the movie "Fatso" with Dom De Louise (sp)? The scene with food everywhere - marshmallows coming out of the toaster, pizza, peanut butter. Okay, I'm not implying anyone is fat. It was a very funny movie.

If we are doing a full meal, I'll think on it a bit more. Off the top of my head - a few thoughts (for me), salmon or cornish game hens, wild rice with slivered almonds surrounded by mandarin oranges, sesame asparagus, cream puffs floating in chocolate & shrimp cocktail as an appetizer.

If it's an outdoor get-together at the beach - I'd go for seafood, i.e. clambake, lobster, corn etc. Oops, forgot about Paella - another favorite. Will think on it some more.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Yumm - I haven't had Frogmore in years - maybe we'd have to do a combined dinner!

I haven't either & I've been craving it lately.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Pardon my ignorance but what is frogmore stew?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #27
Master Chef

We add small whole potatoes to this sometimes too. Add them before the kielbasa.

Frogmore Stew

1/2lb. shrimp per person
1/4lb. kielbasa per person, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 ears corn per person
1 bag Zatarain's crab boil
1/4C salt per gallon of water
In a huge pot, bring water to boil. Use roughly twice the volume of water as the volume of ingredients. Add salt & crab boil bag ; boil for 7 minutes. Add kielbasa & boil for 7 minutes. Add corn & boil for 7 minutes. Add shrimp & boil for 4 to 7 minutes. Do not over cook shrimp. Drain (toss the cooking liquid, you don't use it for anything else) & serve in a large bowl. The best way to serve this is on a table covered with newspaper. When everyone is done, just roll up the paper & shrimp shells & toss! Easy cleanup!

Old 10-07-2005, 12:33 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, crewsk. So this is a lot like the shrimp or crab or crawfish boils.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:35 PM   #29
Master Chef

Yep, I'll have to see if I still have the story behind the name.

Just my luck, I can't find it. I'll keep digging though.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:29 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

You know, many of us have said we don't think what we would cook would be spectacular...I know I really don't, I just know I'd be doing it for friends and would do it with love and care..I don't think any of us if given the chance to meet, would really focus just on the food...We would be so busy getting to know each other that food as much as we love it would come second...I know I'd bust my buttons fixing for any and all of you, but, meeting and talking and getting to know you would make what I cooked Ehhhhh...Of course I also know me being me, I'd fuss and stew over every detail til the whole meal was over, and I'd be happy and sad at the same time...Happy to have had you there and sad it was over.

kadesma
ps...everything you've each offered to fix, would be sensasional, great, spectacular, and perfect...